Why can't U2 write songs like this anymore???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Vest

Refugee
"All Systems Red" by Calexico
I remember when U2 had this kind of emotional power and I miss that. Sure the latest album is still good per say...but nothing on HTDAAB comes close to this new song by Calexico. What does anyone else think??? I'm certainly NOT trying to start a Calexico vs U2 thread here - there's really no comparison. I'm just obsessed with this song right now and miss when I could be obsessed about a U2 song (i.e. "Bad", "Please", "Gone", "Love Is Blindness", "Miss Sarajevo"...and the list goes on)

Last edited:
Kind of a silly thread.

Why can't Calexico write songs like this one?

Why can't Beastie Boys write a song like Backstreet Boys?

Why can't Keane play guitar like The Edge?:wink:

Wow the list of threads we can do with this logic...

Maybe U2 are just as good at songwriting as they've ever been.

(Actually they're better at songwriting than they've ever been.)

Maybe you've changed.

Because you touch yourself at night

I mean... er... I enjoy U2 and their current musical style. Hooray for the best band ever! :happy:

Comparing U2 songs quality over time to one song by a different band really says nothing about u2 song quality

So who's this Ca..err..xi...erm...co what?!? Never heard of 'em mate and don't care to either!! There'll probably go the same as most of U2s other peers and make a few albums and have a few hits then disappear into oblivion, never to be heard from again! Not that I've ever heard of Calxo to begin with!! :huh:

:corn:

hcbiggs2002 said:
So who's this Ca..err..xi...erm...co what?!? Never heard of 'em mate and don't care to either!! There'll probably go the same as most of U2s other peers and make a few albums and have a few hits then disappear into oblivion, never to be heard from again! Not that I've ever heard of Calxo to begin with!! :huh:

:corn:

Calexico are actually a very good band. I wouldn't say they are a peer of U2. They have an alt country, southwest sound of sorts. That's why this comparison is so silly.

Calexico is a cool band, and their new album is very good. But this thread is ridiculous. Why compare? If you like Calexico's songs better than U2's recent output, then bully for you.

Geeeeeez,
You guys take the cake.
If you actually read the post you'd of noticed I didn't mean for this to become a Calexico vs U2 thread...all I was saying is that the song "All Systems Red" had the same magic as let's say "Bad" or "Gone" "Please" etc. and I just don't get that feel from the new crop of songs from U2. Remember too that I've been a huge fan since 1980 - half you knuckleheads weren't even a wink in Mom or Dad's eye yet. Anyways, let's just get rid of this thread now and save all of us from wasting our time.

Harry Vest said:
Geeeeeez,
You guys take the cake.
If you actually read the post you'd of noticed I didn't mean for this to become a Calexico vs U2 thread...all I was saying is that the song "All Systems Red" had the same magic as let's say "Bad" or "Gone" "Please" etc. and I just don't get that feel from the new crop of songs from U2. Remember too that I've been a huge fan since 1980 - half you knuckleheads weren't even a wink in Mom or Dad's eye yet. Anyways, let's just get rid of this thread now and save all of us from wasting our time.

then why not just say you wish U2 still wrote songs like Gone and Bad? what the hell does Calexico have to do with anything?

people complaining about U2's new sound and reminicising on what they feel are U2's good ol' days is a very tired topic. your last sentence was probably the smartest thing you've said so far.

anyway, U2 should be more like Umptity McGee or whoever the fuck.

I'm sorry, but my first thought upon reading the original post was "Have you really listened to HTDAAB?" This album has meant more to me than any album since Achtung Baby. Just because you haven't made an emotional connection to the songs on the latest album doesn't mean there's not the same level of emotion as in the band's earlier songs. It's a very subjective thing.

Many of the songs you listed in your original post are among my favorites, but frankly, I'd have given up on U2 long already if they were writing the same type of songs for album after album. Or, even worse, if they set out to write "emotionally complex" songs. Thankfully, they have the sense to record songs the way that they want to, knowing that fans will bring their own meaning to them.

Part of U2's longevity is that they don't keep trying to sound like U2, or like anyone's expectations of U2. They go in different directions on every album, and they don't compromise their process. Every album isn't going to speak to every fan. If you don't connect with this one, maybe you'll find more meaning in the next one. If you don't, then you can still listen to the old songs. Nothing is going to change the fact that U2 has written some brilliant songs. But I think anyone who's waiting for them to record another Bad or another Achtung Baby or another anything is going to be disappointed.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Calexico are actually a very good band. I wouldn't say they are a peer of U2. They have an alt country, southwest sound of sorts. That's why this comparison is so silly.

Maybe 'peers', as in 'equal in rank or merit', is not the best word to describe said band than how about comtemporaries, as in 'of this time', coz that's what I meant. :eyebrow:
But I agree. it's pointless to start making comparisions.

I was actually trying to be sarcastic (and failing miserably!?!:rolleyes: ) coz I don't understand these people who expect U2 to keep on churning out the same old stuff album after album!! :yawn: Coz I bet you anything, that if U2 were the type of band who did (and there are a few bands around who do and shall remain nameless!) these same people who be complaining about why can't U2 come up with something new for a change!!! :tsk:

And to Harry Vest, ponder this very old saying:- You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time!

I'm done with this issue! :evil:

Harry Vest said:
Geeeeeez,
You guys take the cake.

We don't really get rid of threads, lol, but I guess we can close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom