Why are you such a devoted U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 do something for me, inside of me, that I simply cannot explain and that no other music has ever done for me. What they create covers the whole spectrum of emotions Not only is their music the exact kind of music I want to hear, but it also reaches inside of me and has this awesome, indescribable power to teach and heal. I find U2 to be a breath of fresh air, sincere and honestly passionate guys in a world of permanently stoned, sleazy rock stars. U2 are different in many senses and that really appeals to me. But most of all, it's the music, the awe-inspiring and incredible music that's like it's from heaven but has the sensibilities of earth ... I don't have a praise high enough for what they do or words to describe how it affects me; some say I'm over-reacting, that I'm obsessive and such, but maybe someone here will understand where I am coming from.

It seems as if their music has always been there for me through whatever things I'm going through. Ever since I can remember they've provided the soundtrack for my life in a way no other band could. :up:

I really can't put it into words, but there's definitely a reason why I was meant to love this band the way I do.

Because they make the best music in the world and thats what it comes down to for me is that they simply make the best music on an album to album basis, better then anybody else.

Wow, great topic. I've often thought about this because it's something I'd love to express to them personally but how do you put it into words?

I agree with a lot that has been said here already. If you really stop and think about what the odds are that these exact 4 people with their exact personalities and talent would wind up together it's staggering.

For me, it began with thinking Edge was cute (okay, I was 14!) But then the more I listen the more I loved thier passion and the emotion that Bono expressed in his lyrics and in the WAY he sang them. As someone else said, With or without you blew me away with the WAY he sang it. You can hear the pain in that song. I really relate to emotion and the expression of it.

Over time, its been more than that... it's been the way I can be going through a horrible time in my life and pick up a Cd of theirs and it just makes me feel better. I've said this before but I went through Cancer in 2001 and when I heard Walk On, Kite and Stuck in a moment I felt like they were written for me and my situation. I had to drive to my radiation treatments every weekday for 4 weeks straight and it was depressing but I would pop in ATYCLB and it just made feel better... it probably helped me to get better too. I wish I could thank them for that.

I just can't imagine my life without their music and I think whether you are religious or not(I am a little bit) it's hard to say that their talent and music isn't a gift from god.... and there have been many times I have thank him for them.

Last edited:
I've always found it easy to be a devoted U2 fan because the fact is, they're so devoted to me, to us -- to their fans. Is there another band on the planet that feels guilty for putting out something that's not necessarily their best (even if most of loved it anyway)? Is there another band on the planet who would've taken the stage after winning a Grammy and apologized in front of the whole world for a concert tour ticketing fiasco? They're devoted to being the best band they can be, not just because it's a lark to be in a band, but to make us happy. There are people who have passed through my life who promised me undying devotion who've given me a hell of a lot less than U2 have in 22 years of fandom.

That's not the sad thing it might sound like, and I sense I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's not sad because music is as important to me as anything else -- life, love, freedom, whatever. And to be a music fan and then be blessed with a band like U2 -- well, that's like a little glimpse of God here on earth. They're just one more item on my list of things to remind that there is a God: Beethoven, Mozart, my son's laughter, the Grand Canyon, Harry Potter, the invention of the iPod, Bob Dylan, George Lucas movies... U2.

They make me cry, they make me laugh, they make me think, they make me want to be a better person. I mean, I think Bruce covered it a bit more eloquently than I ever could in his Hall of Fame speech, but there it is -- in exchange for their devotion, they get mine.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
It seems as if their music has always been there for me through whatever things I'm going through. Ever since I can remember they've provided the soundtrack for my life in a way no other band could. :up:

I really can't put it into words, but there's definitely a reason why I was meant to love this band the way I do.

I was inspired by this thread and posted a journal entry about this exact subject. :yes:

sue4u2 said:
They make me happy, pure and simple. :heart: Anything that makes me happy I try to surround myself with.
I crave their music and can't get enough of seeing, listening or reading about them.:up:
I also think it's "THEIR" devotion to us their fans that I admire. I've just never known so much about any other band as I know about U2.
(and yes I will say it, they have always looked marvelous) :flirt:

Ditto this, and ditto pookersmom's post :up:.

One other big reason why I love this band-it's just amazing to find a band out there who I can relate so well to in so many ways-some days it just feels like they've gotten in my head and put my thoughts on things down on paper. So on days when the world's frustrating me, all I have to do is listen to one of their songs and it'll feel like someone else understands, and I'll know I'm not alone-I'm not alone in believing in the idea of peace and believing it can happen, I'm not alone in remaining optimistic and hopeful about things even when the circumstances are really testing said optimism, stuff like that. I really, really appreciate that.

I've always described U2's music as a hug of sorts-anytime you're feeling down, they're always there to make you feel better, to give you hope, to let you know things will be okay. I just think that's pretty darn cool, they're good friends that way (granted, I don't know them personally, but you know what I mean, I'm sure).

LarryMullen's_POPAngel hit it on the head, too-I also feel like there was a reason I was meant to love this band.

Angela

I agree with all these posts. It is hard to put into words just why I love U2 so much. I guess one reason would be that when I was going through the worst time of my life, their music was there. Stuck in a Moment and Walk On helped me put things in perspective and make some serious decisions that helped me back onto my feet. Their music strikes a really deep cord with me. There is so much emotion involved everytime I listen to U2. And to top it all off, they are wonderful human beings, too. They are so devoted to their fans that it's impossible not to want to give the same devotion back to them. I definitely agree with Lisa71....thank God for U2.
:heart: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :heart:

edited to add: I'm just happy to see so many other people feel the same way. I get a little tired of the rolled eyes and sighs from family and friends who just don't understand. :D

Last edited:
they feel like home. they've been there for me through the good, the bad, and everything inbetween.
as everyone else has said, i just can't explain it. but there's something really sacred about U2's music. it grabs your soul, shakes it around, and doesn't let go.

Well like most of you..i'm a devoted fan because they make me happy...they have helped me and inspired me through good times and bad.
I admire what they stand for, and they make me want to be a better person.
There music is magical, and i couldn't imagine my life without U2's music.

U2 transcends any other musical experience.

Their music is soothing, uplifting, inspiring, nurturing, funny, wise and devoted.

There are no words to describe what they mean to me - they've been present in my life since the age of 10. I cant imagine my life without their music. I'm proud to be a fan and will always be gratefull of the amazing music they've shared with us over the years.

Back
Top Bottom