Why are U2 re-releasing 'The Joshue Tree'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does all this possibly mean they will make Exit sound better than it did on the original. Its such a great song live, I always feel let down by the sound level of it on JT.

Because, like me, you can't actually hear it?

My JT cd only plays 9 tracks... then it has about ten minutes of silence, unless the volume is turned up so loud that people in New Zealand can hear it...

I hope the 'remastered' versions are a bit more dynamic and feel more like I'm in the studio with U2 than my standard issued version.

I've always felt that 'Red Hill Mining Town' sounded kinda distant on my CD...hopefully it'll sound better now...:yes:

pepokiss said:
It's all about the moneyss$$$$$

greedy bastards! the least they could do is at least remaster it, put in a bonus disc with remastered b-sides and unreleased songs and also a concert dvd from a Joshua Tree show and maybe even put it out on vinyl too!

oh wait..

major_panic said:
Because, like me, you can't actually hear it?

My JT cd only plays 9 tracks... then it has about ten minutes of silence, unless the volume is turned up so loud that people in New Zealand can hear it...

Hey i think I heard that

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Couldn't agree less: Every U2 album stand for a certain time, a certain period in the past – reflecting the band's mood & style back then. Until now all attempts – apart from live re-arrangements – to re-record older material in the studio has led to inferior efforts:
Take OCTOBER's tune "Tomorrow", that changed from an intense, dramtic built up masterpiece to kind of hip hop, pseudo-soul song in his re-recorded version, sung worse and pointless.
Take all – yes, all – tryings to "improve" songs from POP on the GREATEST HITS. They are a only a shadow of what these beautiful tracks used to be ...

In other words: It does take long for U2 to work in studios and to get the results, they (and us) do hope for – but when you decide to do do, please look for new ideas, new material, new horizons. That, and only that has always been worth the wait ...

I would hardly say that the slightly longer ending on "Staring at the Sun" or the removal of the "boom-chas" on "Discotheque" makes these songs a "shadow" of their former selves. Furthermore, I like the longer ending on "Staring...", I love the new mix of "Numb" (albeit, not a "Pop" song), and there are so many remixes of "Discotheque" that I view the one on the "Best Of" as just another version.

I do agree with the remake of "Tomorrow" - however, I think what Bono was going for there was captured. The original recording was of the pain he felt as a boy/young man, just starting on his career. The loss of his mother was still fairly recent. The remake was of the pain he felt as a successful adult, now a man with his own family. Singing "Tomorrow" the same way would have defeated the purpose. Furthermore, it was a simple remake on a little known album, plus, the original still exists.

Ne'ertheless, your point stands. Often the songs U2 record are best during their actual recording and following tour. Once in a great while, U2 will really jazz up an older song on a tour, giving it a new life, but typically, I find that U2 focuses on the new songs on their tours, and sometimes seem a bit bored with their old classics (one exception to that is "Streets" - always good regardless of the tour).

As for this re-release of JT - if you love the original, then don't buy this! Why are U2 doing this? To celebrate one of their best loved and best known albums - plus, to remaster it (I've never liked the sound on the CD anyway, so for this alone I'm happy) and, of course, to make a few extra $$.

$ it is - plug the gap btwn albumns / concerts and to make the $oppotunity in the lead up to xmas

Those who don't notice that JT suffers from horrible mastering are deaf...

The question will be if the remastering is done correctly...

I agree that the current JT CD has uneven volume. I am excited to finally hear the first part of "Exit." :slant:

I don't see why this whole release is confusing anyone. It's a milestone anniversary for a very well-known and successful U2 album and it's going to make a very good Christmas present for U2 fans. Plus, it will make the casual fans out there say, "Oh yeah! I almost forgot about U2! I wonder when their new album is coming out?"

Shovelling it on thick

Stop-gap release for the continually delay of the U23D movie.

Test the waters for a u2 boxset of unreleased material that Edge once discussed in 2001.

Test the waters for high-quality vinyl releases of their albums(quite a growing market, and great for audiophiles)

For the music industry at large, it's a test for musicians exploring others of making money other than only selling music that some can argue is available online for "free".

Release of Paris 1987 DVD in a proper context. Fans can stop watching their crap quallity video bootlegs(keep the old version for 5 minutes of cover songs)

"Sell" their 80's catalogue to the international(non-english speaking) audience the band has only gained in the past 20 years. Remember them?

Push JT into the top 10-20(?) best selling albums of all time. This will be especially true if the new remaster is released as a standalone.

Push the concept that prestige act deserves a prestige deluxe "high-art" package.

u2fp

i have the joshua tree , unforgettable fire and war all on the mfsl gold remastered releases, they were all taken from the original master tapes. i was wondering if the new jt remaster will sound any differant from the old mfsl remaster?

this place really hasn't changed has it? nice to see we still have the same people bitching about everything, complaining that its all about the money etc etc

nice one

I hope the remastered CD sounds so much better than the original, which is annoying with its uneven sound. Sorry to say but because of that I hardly ever listen to JT.

KUEFC09U2 said:
this place really hasn't changed has it? nice to see we still have the same people bitching about everything, complaining that its all about the money etc etc

nice one

Ha! Just wait until it's actually released. Then the complainers will be complaining about how it was remastered. "They should've done this," or "They should've fixed that," or even "They've ruined it!"

U2 should just release lumps of coal for Christmas.

It wouldn't be christmas if I wasn't getting some new from U2! :p

Rachel D. said:

Ha! Just wait until it's actually released. Then the complainers will be complaining about how it was remastered. "They should've done this," or "They should've fixed that," or even "They've ruined it!"

U2 should just release lumps of coal for Christmas.

Hahahahha!

Indeed

manwiththespinninhead said:
i have the joshua tree , unforgettable fire and war all on the mfsl gold remastered releases, they were all taken from the original master tapes. i was wondering if the new jt remaster will sound any differant from the old mfsl remaster?

It depends on oh remastering technology has changed since the release of the MFSL discs... Which was what, almost 10 years ago?

I think it's being remastered because I have to turn Exit all the way up to 11 to hear Bono's mumbling and have my eardrums blown out when the audio level reaches a listenable level.

This is the kind of release I've been waiting for the band to start doing and I hope more of these are along the way.

Listen to the MFSL version of Joshua Tree I am sure it will be better sounding then this new one.

However there is many other reasons to buy this collection including the DVD and the bonus disc.

Remastering is a process of usually making things louder but not necessarly better. MFSL didnt change the levels its just a much cleaner sound. Listen to MFSL Pink Floyd stuff it makes it sound way better like brand new.

I wish they still made MFSL stuff but I think that company went under.

The new CDs of today are mixed like crap and loudly. If they were mixed properly giving the person listening to them control of the volume id be more excited about a "remaster", it may sound better then the original because it is louder but its still not going to be the best it can be. This is why the MFSL discs are good because they actually use the original master tapes and dont change the levels on them, they stay true to the original sound of the music.

While HTDAAB was poorly mastered(I've actually wondered if the abnd members themselves have heard a commercial copy of the album), the band have gone to great lengths to make the last several (all?)U2 Live DVDs to audiophile standards. AFAIK, the 90-00 DVD was a straight copy of the cd audio.

Considering that the JT release is directed at longterm/serious music fans it bodes well for quality sound reproduction. They aren't trying to chase the TRL/iPOD audience with this one, which may have explained the HTDAAB mastering.

u2fp

I think the more inmportant question would be: are people going to keep the old JT version on their iPod/iTunes or are they going to erase it and just have the new one?

That to me is a more important question.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I think the more inmportant question would be: are people going to keep the old JT version on their iPod/iTunes or are they going to erase it and just have the new one?

That to me is a more important question.

i agree. i'm not sure what i want to do. i'll probably end up deleting the old JT. it's like getting a new pair of running shoes.

Back
Top Bottom