Why are U2 fans so high maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's look at some things with a dose of logic.
If I have a negative opinion about last two albums and still love their gigs, love almost everything else, love their public work, follow them and still buy the things that I don't neccesary like very much should I shut up and go away from this forum?
Or, to put it in another way, I have a negative opinion on certain matter, and someone else has a positive on - there is a thread on this issue - now, should I keep away from that thread only because I allready stated my opinione somewhere else, and this someone is free to express his opinion only because it's positive one? It makes no sense. I will be true to myself and I will express my feelings and opinions and nobody can tall me othervise, and it's plain stupid to expect me to change myself over night only because it's suitable for someone else...

another thing - there are so many negative comments nowdays because there is nothing very positive for us to write about... :)

U2girl said:
I can think of at least 5 people who constantly moan on the past 6 years (and I haven't seen positive posts by them in EYKIW) and nothing happens to them.

Oh no, someone doesn't like the current era! Considering that the current era is, funnily enough, current, the topic is going to come up a whole lot more than, say, the War Tour. That's why you far more regularly see current-era detractors posting their dislike than you see people posting their dislike of the War era.

And those people regularly post about how much they love particular prior eras, notably ZooTV and Pop. People are allowed to like some eras and dislike others.

Axver said:

Oh no, someone doesn't like the current era! Considering that the current era is, funnily enough, current, the topic is going to come up a whole lot more than, say, the War Tour. That's why you far more regularly see current-era detractors posting their dislike than you see people posting their dislike of the War era.

And those people regularly post about how much they love particular prior eras, notably ZooTV and Pop. People are allowed to like some eras and dislike others.

:bow:

The people I referred to make negative posts on current era and virtually never talk about any other era. :shrug: Ignore button helps, but only until someone quotes them...

Again, it's the way people post, no one said they're not allowed to dislike an era. (then what's up with all the complaints of the 2000-06 era?)

And the moaning has nothing to do with this being the current era. Yes this particular era gets talked about alot for obvious reasons, it's just that it seems like some people love to complain. In contrast, other 20 years of U2's career seem flawless and perfect.

I don't buy it that the band did everything right and went crazy overnight.

Complaining about complaining isn't considered high maintenance? :shrug:

I'm not saying you shouldn't, because that would make me a complainer...and even to an extent, I agree with you. But if artists didn't constantly have people critiquing them, they wouldn't keep pushing themselves creatively. So why not let people talk/praise/bitch/whine/complain/etc?

I'm just sayin.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I think it's just that threads that acquire negative overtones become confrontational and thus grow into much larger, more notable threads than positive ones where everyone's agreeing with each other. Positive threads rarely tend to last long because there's only so much to say beyond "X is great", "yeah, I love that part of X", "the singing in X is cool". But if there is a clash of opinions, where contrasting viewpoints are trying to present themselves as the most valid analysis, then you have the basis for a much longer discussion. It isn't even necessarily complaining and I'm tired of how some people here are uncritically labelling all negative posts as 'complaints'.

:applaud:

Axver said:

:applaud:

Axver, you're awesome! :rockon:

The thing with this whole site is (i think) to share your opinions about U2 and what they have done with your likes or dislikes about them. But to blast them constantly is diferent. And if I mean we all just like the same certain songs and if U2 were actually looking at this, ( :whistle: ) then they would be playing the same songs constantly. Let people shar their opinions if the latest ablum sucked or even the song One sucked to an extent.

You don't expect for 50,000 people to actually like the same stuff, do you?

U2girl said:
The people I referred to make negative posts on current era and virtually never talk about any other era. :shrug: Ignore button helps, but only until someone quotes them...

I don't know what you are talking about. The most prolific posters who dislike post-Pop U2 often post their praise of nineties U2 - and I'm the kind of person who would notice, given my well-known dislike for certain aspects of nineties U2. They are the first people to the ZooTV worship threads, if they didn't create them themselves. Even their anti-ATYCLB/HTDAAB posts are littered with praise for nineties U2! Maybe you need to stop ignoring them and start reading their arguments with a less reactionary and more critical, analytical eye.

And the moaning has nothing to do with this being the current era. Yes this particular era gets talked about alot for obvious reasons, it's just that it seems like some people love to complain. In contrast, other 20 years of U2's career seem flawless and perfect.

That just doesn't make sense. I don't know anyone who thinks the first 20 years of U2's career are flawless - look at the trashing October gets, often by the "post-Pop U2 sucks" crowd you so vehemently dislike! And these people don't love to complain, for goodness' sake. The fact this is the current era has everything to do with it; it is by far the most prominent and prolific topic for discussion, and therefore negative posts about it are going to be by far the most prominent and prolific negative content. It may give you the impression these people just love to complain, but the reality is that they are simply participating in the most prominent, prolific topic. If you don't like their opinion, try to have a constructive dialogue and exchange ideas. They have every right to express their opinion in any relevant thread, and threads relevant to the current era are pretty damn common on this board.

Don't make me repeat myself. Discussion tends to be at its most stimulating and lengthy when opposing (positive and negative) ideas clash. The people you dislike are merely being consistent - they are active members of this forum actively posting on the active threads, and they are not being inconsistent or hypocritical about their opinion! I'm glad their opinion is well-defined and consistent, and that they stimulate discussion in threads by presenting perspectives to counter other viewpoints. The forum would be boring without that and the threads would slowly die.

Axver said:

I don't know what you are talking about. The most prolific posters who dislike post-Pop U2 often post their praise of nineties U2 - and I'm the kind of person who would notice, given my well-known dislike for certain aspects of nineties U2. They are the first people to the ZooTV worship threads, if they didn't create them themselves. Even their anti-ATYCLB/HTDAAB posts are littered with praise for nineties U2! Maybe you need to stop ignoring them and start reading their arguments with a less reactionary and more critical, analytical eye.

That just doesn't make sense. I don't know anyone who thinks the first 20 years of U2's career are flawless - look at the trashing October gets, often by the "post-Pop U2 sucks" crowd you so vehemently dislike! And these people don't love to complain, for goodness' sake. The fact this is the current era has everything to do with it; it is by far the most prominent and prolific topic for discussion, and therefore negative posts about it are going to be by far the most prominent and prolific negative content. It may give you the impression these people just love to complain, but the reality is that they are simply participating in the most prominent, prolific topic. If you don't like their opinion, try to have a constructive dialogue and exchange ideas. They have every right to express their opinion in any relevant thread, and threads relevant to the current era are pretty damn common on this board.

Don't make me repeat myself. Discussion tends to be at its most stimulating and lengthy when opposing (positive and negative) ideas clash. The people you dislike are merely being consistent - they are active members of this forum actively posting on the active threads, and they are not being inconsistent or hypocritical about their opinion! I'm glad their opinion is well-defined and consistent, and that they stimulate discussion in threads by presenting perspectives to counter other viewpoints. The forum would be boring without that and the threads would slowly die.

It may be we're talking about different people.
As for nineties U2 - please. That means exactly what on such a biased site?
I think you of all people would understand the tiring aspect of having one biased opinion slammed down everyone else's throat the whole time. What a coincidence that so many of the appreciation 90's threads you speak often contain a jab at the last two albums.

Since we're at that topic though, 90's U2 gets talked quite a bit, but not a promille of negativity in comparison to the amount of negativity to 00's U2. One would think that any era/topic that gets talked a lot would spark at least some negative responses. (and how much is really there, outside of someone like you and AB or MrBrau1 and Pop? and we all know how well that ends every time.)

Flawless, yes. Forgot about all the RIP U2 1980-1997 signs? How the band apparently isn't "U2" starting with ATYCLB? Forgot how vehemently Zooropa, Pop, Passengers get defended all the time? Even Rattle and Hum gets positive posts.
October? Very little trashing, and very little mention while we're at it.

If "any topic that gets talked about often gets negative responses too" logic is true, where are the negative thoughts on 90's U2?

I'm growing tired of those biased propaganda-like posts and I don't think it's possible to have a reasonable discussion. Constant bashing didn't, doesn't and will not equal discussion. I think people also have a right not to have to read the same views, by the same people, in threads all over the forum, that aren't even about the last two albums.

Jesus christ with the drama people. If something truly bugged you about people complaining about U2, then you wouldn't keep posting in the same threads looking for a fight.

If you're so offended and tired of it, then PM Sicy and ask her to create a posotive U2 forum. Maybe call it something like "I can't deal with disagreements on a discussion board so I post here about U2 and flowers and space cadets forum".

U2girl said:
If "any topic that gets talked about often gets negative responses too" logic is true, where are the negative thoughts on 90's U2?

Don't BS. If we were all on this forum in 1993 there would be just as many threads yearning for the good old days of the JT era as there are now posters who favour the 90s.

Heaven forbid people have a fuckin' opinion, huh? :huh:

Last edited:
Keep up the patronising tone, and the personal comments, Canadiens.

Don't try the old "can't handle disagreement" argument, you know it's not about that.

Last edited:
U2girl, why do you care if a bunch of people prefer the 90s or even prefer everything from 1980-97 and keep trashing the 00s? So what? It's their opinion. And that doesn't change yours, right? Why do you have to get defensive with the 00s material all the time? Just enjoy it and ignore the opinions you don't agree with! Nobody's forcing you to not like the 00s. Geez!

click46mb8.gif

U2girl said:
Keep up the patronising tone, and the personal comments, Canadiens.

Zootlesque said:
U2girl, why do you care if a bunch of people prefer the 90s or even prefer everything from 1980-97 and keep trashing the 00s? So what? It's their opinion. And that doesn't change yours, right? Why do you have to get defensive with the 00s material all the time? Just enjoy it and ignore the opinions you don't agree with! Nobody's forcing you to not like the 00s. Geez!

:up:

Where is that Canadiens appreciation thread... :flirt:

You gotta fucking love that ignore button... :drool:

U2girl said:

Since we're at that topic though, 90's U2 gets talked quite a bit, but not a promille of negativity in comparison to the amount of negativity to 00's U2.

hey you cutie...
look - there is not very much negativity towards 90s U2 because it is not deserved..it deserves all the praises it gets...

on the other hand - why do you think there is negativity towards 00s U2? Because people are just mean or because there is simply something for them to be negative about - unsatisfactory quality level of music or something like that? I'm not negative in spite, but because that is the way I feel about it and that will not change...

bok i pusa :)

Here we go again...

Exactly, I don't care for the '00's but I didn't think it was horrible! I'd rather have big shows from small and no one can make me like something if they wanted to. It's my opinion and you can have your opinion of the 00's and I'm not going to make you not like the 00's.

Marko said:
look - there is not very much negativity towards 90s U2 because it is not deserved..it deserves all the praises it gets...

on the other hand - why do you think there is negativity towards 00s U2? Because people are just mean or because there is simply something for them to be negative about - unsatisfactory quality level of music or something like that? I'm not negative in spite, but because that is the way I feel about it and that will not change...

Ha! I like this guy. :wink:

Marko - I think 90's gets praised and virtually zero negativity because most people got into U2 in that time.

I think some may be unsatisfied with the last two albums. Some I believe are doing it to piss others off, and they are the problem.

To answer the quote: I don't really care if you burned Bomb or ATYCLB the day after you bought them or if you have voodoo dolls of current U2 in your basement. Last two albums don't do it of you? Fine.
You don't, however, need to parade around at every given opportunity and repeat it over and over. You don't need to bring it up in threads that are in fact not about the last two albums. You don't need to repeat it ad nauseum in several places all over the forum.
Also, try to put in an argumented way. Don't just bash for the sake of it.

Re: bitter your ideas never get accepted?

U2girl said:

:hmm: A thread actually trying the exact opposite of what Canadiens said. Nice try.
But that old thread does have some gems in it. Like this one:

U2girl said:

Because I fail to see any point in negative posting about U2 on a U2 fan forum. (which is why I had the suggestion.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom