Why are things so quiet about the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Usually when a U2 album is in the works, there are reports flying all over the place about what's going on and how it's progressing. But it feels like we aren't getting anything to chew on. All that's really been quoted in the press is Bono saying "It's gonna be a full on guitar record, like the sound of 4 men banging on trash cans" or something terribly incoherent. We don't even know who the producer is, and we don't know how they're progressing or anything. It's kinda frusterating, because there is no other good music coming out, and I'd just like some new U2. Musically, their new album is all I have to look forward to. I mean, there will be phases of other bands, but they'll pass as quickly as they came. I just need some U2, and I'd like to know what's going on.

The_acrobat said:
All that's really been quoted in the press is Bono saying "It's gonna be a full on guitar record, like the sound of 4 men banging on trash cans" or something terribly incoherent.

:lol: yeah that's about the size of it...

i know what you mean. no idea as to the answer to the question though....

Other than the odd quote from Bono and Edge about the record being a "guitar record," etc.. there isn't much to report. There was word that they were working with a new producer for a trial period, but no word from U2 on who that is...

The best thing you can do is just stay tuned to the U2News forum as I try my best to find out what's going on.. but at the moment, the band is being pretty mum about what's what.

My guess is that they truthfully havent been working on it that hard lately (the last month or so), and that's the reason for the silence about it.

I'm thinking McGuinness is working to keep things mum on U2 these days. With Bono making his very public appreances promoting AIDS awareness, it's possible the McGuinness and band want to avoid an oversaturation of U2 content in the media, so maybe that is why there is so little talk.

I agree U2popmofo, I think the new album is so fragmented at this point, that it won't be known till maybe, late summer how far along they really are. Unless things change politicaly, world wide, very soon, don't expect a tour anytime soon, even if they do release the new music. .. Hope springs eternal, however.

sue4u2 said:
Unless things change politicaly, world wide, very soon, don't expect a tour anytime soon, even if they do release the new music. .. Hope springs eternal, however.

That's so sad and probably very true....although political reasons never stopped them before from touring.....(Sarajevo and Sept.11) but they may delay the release if worst comes to worst. I really can't find any other bands to listen to either.....*In Desperate need of new U2 music*

Well, another reason may be that they are trying to keep a tight lid on everything to stop premature downloading. I hate to use this band in the same sentence as U2, but Linkin Park pulled off having NO leaks of their album to P2P networks before it came out because of unprecidented security. This is probably not the main reason for not hearing any news, but it could be part of it.

Also, maybe they scrapped their "new interem producer" and are starting fresh with someone else.

Dorian Gray said:
I'm thinking McGuinness is working to keep things mum on U2 these days. With Bono making his very public appreances promoting AIDS awareness, it's possible the McGuinness and band want to avoid an oversaturation of U2 content in the media, so maybe that is why there is so little talk.

I agree on this point. It must be even more difficult to get away from the public eye now than it used to be too. Back in the late 80s after Rattle and Hum there was a full media blackout here in the US concerning U2 due to the over exposure and backlash they were dealing with at the time. That lasted about 2-3 years. We got little if any news at all during that time about the band. It certainly ended any burn out that some fans may have been feeling at the time.

bayernfc said:

That's so sad and probably very true....although political reasons never stopped them before from touring.....(Sarajevo and Sept.11) but they may delay the release if worst comes to worst. I really can't find any other bands to listen to either.....*In Desperate need of new U2 music*

Those two political concerts were a bit different. I doubt they'd be wanting to group thousands of young Americans together at the same time right now (or even this summer).

david said:
At least they don't take as much time as Guns N' Roses does when they make albums.
or peter gabriel! someone said if he follows his pattern of the amount of years it takes for him to release an album, they said we wouldn't see the follow-up to his latest until like 2015 or something! :eek:

I think the risk of danger in concerts was greater in the fall of 2001. There were fears of terrorism higher than there are now. I think it was a ballsy decision to continue the tour after 9/11. Lots of bands are touring this year that would draw huge crowds. DMB, for example, just announced a 50 show tour for this summer. There will probably be around 20,000 at each show on average. I don't there is any danger in touring america. Now, if they were going to tour central asia, it'd be another story!! If U2 still toured after 9/11, I'd say there would be nothing holding them back now. Although, a lot might change between now and next year.

Who ever said that U2 owed us an explanation as to how a new album is progressing. Before the internet, we didn't hear hardly a word before a new album came out. I would have to agree that U2 would play it safe to not say anything about the new album until a single is released a few weeks before the release of the album like they've always done from 'I Will Follow' to 'Gloria' to 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' to 'Pride' to 'With or Without You' to 'The Fly' to 'Zooropa' to 'Discotheque' to 'Beautiful Day'. Enjoy the anticipation, because in U2's case, it has always been worth the wait.

Chris

probably b/c the guys have tied bono's hands up and not let any recording leave the studio with him.. therefore avoiding any accidental song leakage to the media. :p

and since he's barely there he doesn't know everything that's going on to blab it to the fans!!!

it's all part of U2's big secret to keep everything a big secret until it's done! :scream:

damnit. ;)

Back
Top Bottom