Why all the ATYCLB knocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
In a lot of the discussions regarding the new album, there's a lot of knocks at All That You Can't Leave Behind. I'm highly confused by this... i understand not everyone's gonna like the album, and you have every right to not like it. But there just seems to be more people who claim to not like the album now then there were, say, a year or two ago. Does the album not age as well with some of you? Or did you always not like it. :shrug: I dunno there just seems to be a lot more people dissing ATYCLB lately. Maybe i just didn't notice it as much before. Here, now I'm getting all vaclempt... talk amongst yourselfs. i'll give you a topic... atyclb's legacy. discuss.

You know, this is funny you should bring this up now of all times, because from what I have noticed the ATYCLB bashing is at an all time LOW! It used to be so bad. There were numerous threads and it got so old. But thankfully I can say that I have not seen so much bashing of ATYCLB, or even Pop, as of late. Let's keep it that way!

:heart: ATYCLB :heart:

U2Kitten said:
You know, this is funny you should bring this up now of all times, because from what I have noticed the ATYCLB bashing is at an all time LOW! It used to be so bad. There were numerous threads and it got so old. But thankfully I can say that I have not seen so much bashing of ATYCLB, or even Pop, as of late. Let's keep it that way!

:heart: ATYCLB :heart:

Yep.

Lately I've been enjoying the songs off of there a lot...maybe it's due to seeing the preview things of the performances from Slane...made me love these songs all over again or something.

And yes, there hasn't been much Pop bashing! God, I remember when I first came here a couple of threads that were all out war over that album...but now, not so much. Guess we're all too busy wondering about the new album to go back to that.

I would like to hear what those who don't like ATYCLB have to say in response to your post, though, Headache (and :laugh: at the whole "veclempt" thing).

Angela

I actually like ATYCLB more now than I did when it came out. Who knows everyone has an opinion and I am fully ready and waiting for the onslaught of topics when the new album comes out.

I liked it, but I don't like the fact that all of my friends only know U2 by Beautiful Day and the stuff on ATYCLB. I think the album is too pop-rocky, and not enough Zooropa style material, or the rawness of the earlier years.

The Weakest Album by U2 , aka Terrible album

the album is soft , like a candy , and this the best and the least rude thing , i can say about this ...album . cheers

"Does the album not age as well with some of you? "

Pop music never ages well. It was a pop-rock album, some people accept that, some people don't. It's true.

It wasn't my favorite album, but I think it was good.
Very digestable, easy on the ears.
There's not much debate, either you like the songs or you don't.

That's why people knock it. Because even people who hate 'Miami' appreciate that it was trying to expand the sound.

I think it's redundant to continue to bash ATYCLB, it meant a lot to a lot of people, if you aren't one of them, get over it. As I have.

It's ironic that there'd be much less ATYCLB bashing if no one posted "why people knock ATYCLB" threads, :) But anyway, I'm pretty sure that all U2 albums have their fans and detractors, but it's just natural that people scrutinize the most recent album(s).

Pop music doesn't age well? Bad news for The Beatles, Blondie, Beach Boys, etc. etc., then.

I do dislike Miami, but I think the only thing is expands is the "bad song" space.

Last edited:
Miami was nothing more than raw crap. I don't appreciate it for anything.

And personally ... I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on this topic. I used to love ATYCLB and would play it over and over, but now I just like it, and rarely listen to it, but when it comes to the individual tracks, I prefer them all (with the exception of In A Little While and Peace On Earth) more than I used to, and I could never get sick of Walk On. So ... yeah. I think maybe that had I not got any more U2 CDs, I'd love it more than I did in the past, but now that I have so much more by them, it really makes ATYCLB look not as good. Whenever I rank U2's albums, I always find ATYCLB ends up last or second-last.

I was very, very disappointed in All That You Can't Leave Behind when I first got it. It seemed kind of commonplace and ordinary compared to all of U2's previous work. I liked it much better after forcing myself to listen to it a couple more times. I even realized I not only liked but loved a few of the songs. But I still don't listen to it nearly as often as most of my other U2 albums.

I haven't really noticed much direct ATYCLB bashing when people post about what the upcoming album might be like. A lot of people do seem to be excited by the rumors that it will be like "punk rock made on Venus" or a cross between AB and War, but that might not have as much to do with disliking ATYCLB as it does with being happy U2 is (reportedly) once again not staying in the same place for long musically. I mean, even if you love ATYCLB, wouldn't you be bored it that's the only kind of album they released from now on?

i dig it. i dont see anything wrong with it. It has 3 truly great songs IMO, Beautiful Day, Walk On and Kite

Elevation, In a Lil While, Stuck , Wild honey are good...

the others are alright, I really cant say I think any song on teh album Sucks.

I've been a fan of U2 since Boy was a new release and I fell in love with them all over again with ATYCLB. The beauty of 'U2's sound' is that there *is* no one single sound but a band that constantly explores and expands...so of course ATYCLB isn't a replica of say Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. As Adam himself said in one of the last Propaganda issues "It takes a long time to get into a U2 song". Some songs caught me right away (Kite, Elevation), others grew on me (Peace on Earth, Walk On). I wouldn't bash any of their albums, they have all made their contribution toward making U2 the best and one of the most enduring rock bands ever.

I was disappointed with ATYCLB because it broke no new musical ground. It lacked greatness. Yeah the songs were solid, but it really didn't inspire me much. It also felt a tad overproduced, like the energy of the music had been glossed over and sealed in acrylic. The live versions improved the songs, and I will say the live versions of Walk On really bring the life out of that song. Elevation was a retread, fun but nothing new at all. Stuck in a Moment was good but overly sacarine in its album version. The acousic is much better. Overall I am fairly indiffent to this album which is not a good thing. There are some high points in some songs but overall I don't really get a charge out of listeneing to it. The only song I really got into on that album was New York, but again teh live versions are much better. Its pleasing music but nothing really amzing, which is why its a let down.

Last edited:
LCK said:
I've been a fan of U2 since Boy was a new release and I fell in love with them all over again with ATYCLB. The beauty of 'U2's sound' is that there *is* no one single sound but a band that constantly explores and expands...so of course ATYCLB isn't a replica of say Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. As Adam himself said in one of the last Propaganda issues "It takes a long time to get into a U2 song". Some songs caught me right away (Kite, Elevation), others grew on me (Peace on Earth, Walk On). I wouldn't bash any of their albums, they have all made their contribution toward making U2 the best and one of the most enduring rock bands ever.

:yes:.

And I like "Miami", personally...

Angela

Bono's shades said:
A lot of people do seem to be excited by the rumors that it will be like "punk rock made on Venus" or a cross between AB and War, but that might not have as much to do with disliking ATYCLB as it does with being happy U2 is (reportedly) once again not staying in the same place for long musically.

Hmm... but if the next album is a cross between AB and War, wouldn't that basically mean them going over the same musical ground? It's just strange that people get excited over such rumours while repeatedly saying that they want U2 to go into a new direction.

atyclb is not rock&roll.
(its kind of lame):|

i do like stuck in a moment(live)

even electrical storm is a pop/rock song. and its alright nothing special!

i just dont think u2 can make a rock&roll album any more.lets see what this new album will sound like when it comes out.
now i see why people say that coldplay are the next u2!
(pop or rock ill always like u2)
but they are not my no1 or no2 band any more.(ill have to take some u2 pics down and put some led zeppelin , gnr posters up if the next album is not ROCK&ROLL)
my MOTHER says to me that my musical taste has changed that im now listening to loud music.hehehehe.

rock on!

Saracene said:
It's ironic that there'd be much less ATYCLB bashing if no one posted "why people knock ATYCLB" threads, :)

Yeah, all it does is invite it. That's all we need after it had died down and stopped :sigh:

^ :laugh: even better let's bash AB.......I never really liked One :wink: ........ But seriously the only thing I didn't like about ATYCLB was elevation. The rest could be among my favourite songs. You guys are right though..... personally I'm tired of all this POP / ATYCLB bashing, maybe it's because we're all anxious about the new album.

Hey no Pop bashig from me. It's probably my personal favourite of all the U2 albums. Took me a while to warm to all of it though. I've even come to love the more subtle, muted album versions of Pleae and Gone. The revised versions just don't fit into teh overall feel of the album quite like the originals do. And Gone live, is seriously one of U2's best creations ever. All the songs on that album are rock solid to the core and crackle with vitality. Lyrically they're all brilliant, where as ATYCLB is the first album where I'd say Bono's lyrical stlings went down a notch. His style has changed at other times. Sounded like he was going for the more direct style of teh late 80's as opposed to the more murky lyrics of the 90's but came up short. Lyrically Bono hit his last peak with Zooropa, Passengers and Pop. His previous peak was most of JT and Rattle and Hum. He shifted gears on AB, whihc while still brilliant lyrically it was his first venture into a new lyrical style. It was sort of a switch between widescreen cinetmatics to dark art film styles. FOr raw creativity Zooropa is it as HMTMKMKM came from those recording session as did some of the poignant songs off of Pop, If God Will Send His Angels and Wake Up Dead Man. The Lyrics on ATYCLB are much more direct but they lack the smooth artistry of teh 90's stuff and the eloquent power of the 80's lyrics.

I've never liked it and agree with all the 'criticisms' on it. That said though, amongst the bashing and the war between Pop and ATYCLB I discovered why it was so appreciated by others. I can't see it myself but reading from people what they've gotten from it was good, it explained what my taste wouldn't let me do for myself. I dont hate the album per se, its nice listening though somewhat dull and only in terms of U2's catalog does it suck. Compared to most things out there its still 100 times better than a lot of it. Just in terms of U2 do I find it blows. In terms of all the fighting and debate we've had over both Pop and ATYCLB I can see easier why people would dislike Pop, more than why ATYCLB is great. As much as I adore Pop, I'm not surprised at all that some hate that sound. I agree with the detractors quite a lot. Their reasons for hating it I can see as well. It leaves only taste in the end. And its no crime to not be a fan of it.

ATYCLB was a dissapointment for me. Lanois and Eno were back and hopes were high. I was dissapointed at first hearing Beautiful Day but 3 years on it has become one of my all time fave U2 tracks, unfortunatly barring When I Look At The World, i cannot sy the same for the rest of the album. It's nearly 2004 and my only opinion of ATYCLB now is....why the frick did U2 allow themselves to become so damn middle of the road? A huge POP fan.

I just think ATYCLB is sonically bland. If its sonically bland, then the lyrics which are pretty much straight to the point (sort of) have to carry the song too much IMO. Doesn't make for interesting listening over time.

Don't get me wrong... I think Beautiful Day is classic b/c of the main riff alone but the album does tail off at the end. I dislike the album version of New York b/c it sounds interesting with the intro but becomes bland sonically at the end (unlike the live version). I can never get into Walk On album version as well b/c of the production IMO. The live version is great as well as Goodrich's version.

I say bring back the irony though...

I think that with ATYCLB they made what anybody was expecting from them, a REAL POP & SOUL album... or... POP & SOUL seen by U2.
So everybody was expecting this REAL ROCK 'N' ROLL album and what they found was another thing... I was dissapointed first, as I wasn't expecting a song-in-a-traditional-way focused album, but, I have to say, it's a GREAT POP & SOUL album.

And now they're claiming they're making the REAL ROCK 'N' ROLL album everybody is expecting again...

They won't, you know...

But it'll be interesting to hear what the hell they're cooking now...

:shrug: I really like the album myself.

It seems ATYCLB and Pop induce the most negative feelings among fans.

Re: The Weakest Album by U2 , aka Terrible album

WinnieThePoo said:
the album is soft , like a candy , and this the best and the least rude thing , i can say about this ...album . cheers

I think of it more as spiritual, not candy.

Back
Top Bottom