Who's the better singer, Bono or Edge?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hmmm.....sorry all bonovox fans, but Edge is the better singer.

He can sing really high stuff

He can play a mean guitar

He can sing really high stuff and play a mean guitar...

at the same time!!

Edge should sing more, im sick of Bono and his wacky voice

Bono. Edge's singing sounds really nasal and strained. He may sing high, but he has a weak voice, IMO.

what's this????????'

is this like the stupidest question anyone has seen?... ever?

it's really moronic....

Larry, of course :wink: :eyebrow:

pepokiss said:
what's this????????'

it's really moronic....

:lmao: thats the funniest thing i've ever heard, well its up there with the best

hmm lets see, edge is a guitar player, piano and backing vocals...bono is the LEAD singer.
Edge may be a little more musicly talented than bono :reject: (dodges flying rocks) but bonos the better singer

pepokiss said:
what's this????????'

it's really moronic....

:lol: his rendition of Dirty Old Town really blows your mind!! :lol:

but seriously, there's a reason Bono's the lead singer.... just give Pride or WOWY (R&H version) a listen, just to name a few!

edge may technically be a better singer, in terms of a professional opinion in regards to voice and pitch etc etc....

however i think people prefer the sound of bono.....

for me.......i rather BONO, but edge is great and i wanna hear more adam and larry

Edge seems like a good singer, but could he keep it up the way that Bono can? Do you think he could be a good singer for a whole concert or something like that?

Much as I hate to go with the crowd, I love Bono's voice, it's amazing. Happy for him to be the LV.

Edge does have a lovely voice as well - exhibit A your honour, "Van Dieman's Land" but he isn't a lead man, no way.

ROFL to Pepokiss - you star! Larry is the best! His rough voice actually suits some things - I seriously like his Dirty Old Town better than anyone else singing, it, it just suits the tone and the lyrics.

Cheers ~Ultra

Edge may be a cleaner singer (hits the notes cleaner and more accurately) but Bono is a far better rock n' roll singer. Bono has a far greater range of emotion in his voice. Together they make a great lead and backup pair, though.

If we're talking pre-Pop, I prefer Bono, definitely. But go listen to Popmart Mexico. Bono's voice can't hold a candle to Edge's voice there. His voice is shot now, and honestly, I'd like to hear Edge sing more. A LOT more.

Bono. Better range, more powerful voice and can portray a lot of emotions with his voice.

Edge on the other hand, has a sweet voice - nice to hear on occasions but not really as a full-time singer.

I really like it when they duet - Seconds, Stay and Staring at the sun live, Wild honey... their voices work really well together IMO.

if edge was the better singer, he'd be the lead singer

edge may be able to hit the high notes more consistantly than the b-man these days... but i'd like to think that if edge was out there singing his guts out every night for 20 years like bono, his voice would be a bit strained as well.

bono's still the man... the edge helps him out on the high notes these days... but there's still no beating the bono man.

intedomine said:
edge may technically be a better singer, in terms of a professional opinion in regards to voice and pitch etc etc....

however i think people prefer the sound of bono.....

for me.......i rather BONO, but edge is great and i wanna hear more adam and larry

Actually no - edge is absolutely not technically a better singer than Bono. It's not hard to realize that Bono has a much more depth to his voice. I've heard about people taking song lessons, and that they are reffered to Bonos technically abilities. Edges voice is nothing more but a backing voice - but a good backing voice.

God! I'm sick of this discussion about Bono not hitting the high notes... Doesn't people listen to U2 anymore? I'll bet edge can't sing All i want is you the bono does at the Slane DVD - now THAT is singing - that IS voice control!

Last edited:
First people say Bono's not spending enough time working on albums with the rest of the band, and now people complain he's not as good a singer as Edge and Edge should do more vocals? :scratch:

Edge is a good singer. However, Bono is a GREAT singer. Edge can hit the notes, and he sounds wonderful on back-up vocals, but his voice isn't as powerful or emotional as Bono's. That's why
Bono is the lead singer. I think this talk about him singing off pitch is highly exaggerated. I haven't heard him do this much. If he does I'm sure it's due to exhaustion or throat problems on a given night - something that happens to ALL singers.

Besides, if Edge were the lead singer, it would be rather difficult for him to run around stage like a maniac and play guitar at the same time. :wink:

Diemen said:
Edge may be a cleaner singer (hits the notes cleaner and more accurately) but Bono is a far better rock n' roll singer. Bono has a far greater range of emotion in his voice. Together they make a great lead and backup pair, though.

:yes: Exactly. They both have roughly the same range, and although Edge's voice is smoother and cleaner, he doesn't have the charisma or emotive ability that Bono has. Each is strong where the other is weak, and they make a wonderful vocal team. :)

I would like to hear Edge sing lead on a few more songs (Seconds, Van Dieman's Land and Numb are hardly enough!), and he could fill in if Bono's voice goes bye-bye during a concert, but Bono is the front man, always has been, always should be.

The only reason the Edge's voice seems so much better than Bono's is because he always sings backup, parts that are easier and less straining to sing. His voice is far too weak for lead vocals.

Bono's voice is big and fills all the colors in. Sometimes he can't quite hit the notes he used to be able to, but that's just because of age. He's still pretty good. What he lacks in his voice, he now makes up for it with amazing presence and showmanship.

If some of you people are so sick of Bono and so sick of his "wacky voice", then why even be here? Why even be a U2 fan? I don't understand.

Bono's voice shows it's age, more often in recent years, but he is still the better singer.

Edge has a nice, soft, "simple" voice, but it is nothing special.

Bono's voice is unique and that's what you need for a lead singer. Also, he can really scream well while hitting the right notes, which is not an easy talent.

His voice may be weaker than it used to be in terms of endurance, but it is still far better than Edge's.

seeing as it's christmas time, this shouldn't even be a question...

do they know it's christmas is on teh radio allllll the damn time. just listen to it... all the "best" singers in england/ireland/whatever... bono's voice sticks out like a sore thumb... he is so far and away better than the rest of the singers on that thing it's rediculous.

listen to i've got you under my skin... sinatra... THE crooner... and bono's voice blends with what's considered one of the greatest voices of all times brilliantly.

bono has the third greatest voice in rock history, in my opinion... the only two i'd put in front of him are david bowie and freddie mercury. let's stop with the sillyness... edge is great at what he does. let's keep it at that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom