Who's gonna ride your wild horses ruins actung

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 themselves have stated that they regret ever writing, recording and releasing this song. They stated this while promoting the 90's Greatest Hits compilation. Even though they have played it live quite a few times, they are still embarassed by it.

I would love to see this quote. I don't buy it for a bit...

Every time I look at the thread title I think it says "WGRYWH ruins acting, and it really confuses me. I think, "What ... because of the video? I thought Bono was good in it."

Typos - don't you just love them? ;)

Same here.

Achtung Baby is probably their most flawless album. :D

WGRYWH is beautiful, and I have to disagree with the band on their belief that the acoustic single version is superior to the album version. the album version just has so much more spirit and atmosphere.

Same here.

U2 themselves have stated that they regret ever writing, recording and releasing this song. They stated this while promoting the 90's Greatest Hits compilation. Even though they have played it live quite a few times, they are still embarassed by it.

What, really? Now that's a little harsh. I don't think they are really "embarassed", otherwise they wouldn't have brought the song back for the last tour and played it several times. Btw, I liked all the accoustic performances of the song, though I'm not a really big fan of the album version.

How is that a cliche? It's a feminist saying.

The purpose of the quotation in question is irrelevant to its potential status as a cliche. Feminist or otherwise can be a cliche. If we take a cliche to be "a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse", then the quote we're discussing could be considered as such.

I think my point was more that it was an amusing expression to insert into such a heavy song.

In any case, perhaps a fish can need a bicycle:

A_Fish_Needs_a_Bicycle.jpg

I really enjoy the song, though I have to say that I feel the Temple Bar Mix might have worked better in an album context, but that's something I will need to try......there is something odd about it though...hard to pinpoint what it is exactly...

Why waste your time posting a thread like this? So in your opinion, there's a single song out the 12 songs on Acthung Baby is soooooo terrible, so offensive in tone and content, that it actual "ruins" (your word) the album?

Are you freaking serious?

There is some real trash content on here from time to time.

The purpose of the quotation in question is irrelevant to its potential status as a cliche. Feminist or otherwise can be a cliche. If we take a cliche to be "a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse", then the quote we're discussing could be considered as such.

Well, then by that definition any common saying is a cliche. :shrug:

I remember Larry in an interview in late '01 or maybe '02 saying that he was in a "drinking establishment" (his words) and he heard Horses and thought "what a brilliant song, but how it could have been (potentially) so much better...how they were not smart enough or efficient enough at their job to bring about that conclusion." He said it made him cringe, not because he didn't like it but he cringed for what it wasn't (in his opinion). I don't think they're embarassed by it otherwise they wouldn't play it...I personally love it.

Bono said MLK made him cringe in that interview. Says he thought he sounded like a girl singing it...lol.

Ahhh I can understand why one would say Wild Horses is a toxin within Achtung.

Listening to the song today, it's a track which you really need to commit greater concentration to to appreciate, as opposed to just letting the album play as background music. Listen to the song on it's own, and it's quite magical. Listen to the album with high commitment and the inclusion of Wild Horses is quite stunning.

Mind you, I've always imagined Achtung as a thoroughly complete and crisp album, with Wild Horses being a rough and unfinisshed exception.....cracking song though.

the song is mediocre and just simply doesnt fit with the rest of the album. i understand they were trying to put a single on the album but the song is just week compaired to the rest of the material. It is amazing however despite the week song actung baby is still their best album as the other material is so strong

I think it's one of the weaker songs on the album, but everything is relative. I don't think it ruins the album. Still a fairly decent song, it's just there are way better on this album.

If it was on Bomb or that one they released in 2000 or so, I can't even remember it's name, it would be the best on those albums. Everything is relative.

A very good point, Finance Guy. This song is accused of being a bit shallow and rote, but it's a hell of a lot more complex, sonically and thematically, than what we're seen recently. For a "pop" song, it's a bit of a tour-de-force.

if just seems to be less inventive, edgy, unique as the other songs from actung - its just to mid tempo it sounds like somthing they would come up with well.... in 2004

if just seems to be less inventive, edgy, unique as the other songs from actung - its just to mid tempo it sounds like somthing they would come up with well.... in 2004

No... just No.

It's one of the best songs of the 90s!

The feedback gives the album version such great atmosphere. :drool: This is absent from the Temple Bar mix. :tsk:

Can't be flipped reading thru the thread, so I'll just say that I strongly disargee.

Horsies was the first song I loved, and still do. Great song and I think it fits great.

LOL if they(u2) can make another "wild horses"(which i dont think they can anymore) then i will buy their new CD.

LOL if they(u2) can make another "wild horses"(which i dont think they can anymore) then i will buy their new CD.

If Guns N' Roses can record a song as good as WGRYWH, I may download their new CD when it comes out in 2038.

Back
Top Bottom