Who's gonna ride your...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
Does anyone know why they chose to not use the version of WGRYWH which was released as the single (which is FAR superior IMO) on Achtung Baby? I know most U2'ers are familiar with the single version now thanks to the interenet and growing fan base, but I (and many of my fellow veteran fans) had never heard the fantastic single version until well after AB was released way back when. I just wonder sometimes why the band just lets some great gems get stuffed away in the attic?...

It still blows my mind that Achtung Baby is entering the teen years! Jeez I'm getting old! :ohmy:

It's simple really...

The album version has the atmosphere and darkness that makes for a better experience in the context of the album. When it came time to release it as a single, that atmosphere and darkness probably didn't seem appropriate for the radio. So the poppier single version was created. As to which one is better...that is completely a matter of opinion. But they both clearly have a different purpose. There are things on each one that I like better than the other. The bridge ("oh, the deeper I spin...") of the album version is by far my favorite of the two.

The band never was really happy with the album version (which already took ages to mix). Thus, they re-recorded/remixed it and released that version as a single.

I agree with Hoodlem, full studio mix fits right in to Achtung Baby. Like Walk On, WGRYWH was a union of two songs. It's my favorite song off of AB simply because of the bridge. Definitely some of the most poetic lines Bono's written.

"Heaven's white rose, the doors you open...I just can't close"

Plus, the falsettos on "Don't turn around" - enough to make the hair on the back of my neck stand.

you have to hear the REAL version, LIVE... with Edge's solo and never-ending finish... :drool:

One of the best songs of U2, AB and the world... it should have been the 4th single instead of the 5th..

that... :|

In my top 10 U2 songs. Album version = the ache and artistry of the Edges guitar brings us in. Single version = the ache and poetry of Bono is more upfront. The album version is far superior. More emotion. If it doesn't make me cry, I don't want it.

Last edited:
The single version is appalling compared to the one off the LP...it's really bland and sounds rather tired if anything...

Popmartijn said:
The band never was really happy with the album version (which already took ages to mix). Thus, they re-recorded/remixed it and released that version as a single.

Brian Eno HATED that song and didn't want to record it, I thnk it's pretty good TBH.

Could anyone post an mp3 of this? "...Wild Horses" is one of my favourite U2 songs and I'd love to hear a different version of it. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease? :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom