Who's been to The Clarence/The Kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
I've heard they're extremely pricey...but is it worth it? Is the Kitchen a fun club? Just dreaming about when I'll finally get to Dublin!

smile.gif

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you get to like the way it feels

I worked in Dublin for four months and went to the Kitchen several times (I walked into the Clarence several times but never stayed there!) The Kitchen is fun, but I was a little suprised at how small it was. For some reason, before I went I was expecting a New York City or London type of mega club. It's a pretty cool club, cool music and good looking Irish girls!

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

Well....I heard the Kitchen is pretty tough to get into..The Clarence is very expensive-$250 a night(or whatever the euro equivalent is). But I heard the bar in the Clarence is nice, and pricey, but very nice. There are people here who have been, they know more than I do.
When I go to Dublin, I don't know if I'm going to try and get into the Kitchen...I'm not that kind of person. But I definately will go to the bar in the Clarence...maybe on Thursday when bono goes there(or is it tuesday when he goes?)

------------------
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com

I was there in January right after New Years and it appears that the popularity of the club has cooled off. Anyone can get in although it will set you back 13 dollars. Its actually a good place to go and hang out if you don't want a big crowd and need some space to talk. There is a room with sofa's and stuff shaped like the horns Macphisto had on. Its cool to see.
When I was there in 1999, the place was packed and there was always a line to get in. Of course that was in August of 1999(biggest tourist month) and then in 2002 I was there in January(lowest tourist month). Not sure if that was the reason. The porter house next to the Clarence was packed though.
Definitely check the Kitchen and Clarence bar because their cool. If your lucky you might run into BONO.

yeah i went there on my trip 1998.
i loved it but it is extremely small, the dance floor is tiny.
Sounds strange to say when youre at a club, but take note of the architecture because its really interesting. The hand rails are all groovy and there are holes in the wall where people sit and a moat around the dance floor.
I dont know about waiting in line cause I had special passes and didnt have to when I went.
Definitely a must for any u2 fan in Dublin I think. Even just so u can say you've been there!

Yah.. BAck three years ago after my Freshman Year in college, I went over to Ireland for a Golfing Trip, and stayed a few nights in the Clarence, We rolled down to the Kitchen one night.. THe sweet thing about staying there.. well just simply in regards to the kitchen is that You get a free and immediate ticket into the place, They just walked us in passing by the 50 person wait in line...

And for the hotel.. Extremely nice, very subtly designerish.. but extremely nice and ties Turnberry with the Greatest Hotel I've ever stayed at...

L.Unplugged

I was in Dublin in January. I didn't go to the Kitchen, but a friend and I had a drink in the Octagon Bar. It was very nice, although expensive. Good drinks though.

------------------
"Adam's in his world, lost to the music. You've probably never seen a happier person in your life."
~BP Fallon

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
~Andrew Jackson

~~S&C~~

Well I look like shit and I got into the Kitchen no problem.....I remember that was the night I was so convinced I saw Edge in rubber straps.........
biggrin.gif

so sure it was him...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cool.gif

Clarence, what, like ?3.15/prob $6 dollars for one cup of tea in there???

no tanks...........besides prob pple all dressed up in there.....Id rather walk in half-nude if I was me..........

I was there in Aug/Sept last year and went to The Clarence for a pint on the night of Slane 2. Nice place and pretty much the same price drinks as everywhere else in Temple Bar...also, the bartender looks exactly like Moby!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

I was there this past November. It is small but cool. Lets say it has several rooms like a cave it is not one big open room. The red sofa's are cool although they are getting way to many drinks spilt on them. I liked the water running around the dance floore a girl droped her wallet and it started floating away. It is on the high side for a drink. I went in late at night. No line and there was a nice group of people. Plenty of room to move around get a drink. Several people dancing. Disco Club music No U2. I am glad I went I have pictures at home I can scan them tonight.

the Clarence is very expensive for a room but u can just sit in it and enjoy the atmos without spending money
smile.gif
The least expensive room is ?200 but in dollars/ euro i dunno how much it is
smile.gif
suggest that u get a special deal for the gresham hotel which is lovely and just about 5 mins away from the clarence poifect
smile.gif

I stayed at the Clarence on my first trip to Dublin. Unfortunately, U2 hadn't bought it yet and it was still a B-grade hotel. Very Victorian and lots of wood paneling. The breakfast room was where the Tea Room is now, and the Kitchen was actually the kitchen, adjacent to the downstairs dining room. They made a great chicken curry. I was glad they bought the hotel, or it might have been demolished. Very centrally located for sightseeing, right on the quays. The decor is very plain, judging from the pictures on the website,
www.theclarence.ie/
I also stayed at the Royal Hotel in Bray, mentioned in the song "Walk to the Water". Very small hotel on the Main Street, but it had a great view of Bono's Martello Tower from it's rooftop.

Back
Top Bottom