Who's been a U2 fan the longest? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Who's been a U2 fan the longest?

This thread is to see who has been a fan the longest. I was kindof wondering if anybody here was a fan of U2 before War came out or even right after Boy. Did anyone even hear of them before 1980?

You get major bonus points if you were a fan before they were called U2.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:25 PM
I've been a U2 fan longer than I haven't.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Re: Who's been a U2 fan the longest?

Quote:
Originally posted by learn2kneel

You get major bonus points if you were a fan before they were called U2.

You get major bogus points if you claim to be a fan before they were called U2!

hah, i'm kidding, i just had to do that
Old 12-08-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 PM
I got Boy the day it was released because my boyfriend worked in a record store and brought it home and said check this out. What do I win other than the old lady award?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I got Boy the day it was released because my boyfriend worked in a record store and brought it home and said check this out. What do I win other than the old lady award?

awesome

you'll at least win a thumbs up
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Well I haven't been around forever, I'm only 24...but I did have U2 played for me while I was still in the womb in....Mom was a big fan....there a pic somewhere with her and those big old headphones....So I think I could win a prize for earliest possible exposure to U2 in life....
Old 12-08-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Tip Top Prince
I've been a U2 fan longer than I haven't.
me too, and im 20
Old 12-08-2004, 09:21 PM   #8
Acrobat

I had a home room teacher in high school, Mr. Cooney, who saw their second American concert at the Bayou in Washington, DC, and hung out with the band afterward. He said he knew he was witnessing something 'important' when they took the stage and blazed through the set. Mr. Cooney is the longest running fan I've known.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 06:25 PM
I've only been around as long as The Joshua Tree.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:25 PM
My sister saw them at Bogart's in Cincinnati, OH during the Boy tour, and she wasn't even a fan (but I notice she still remembers it). I've been a fan since War, I think...right around that time.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Is this another penis contest?

I have been a fan since Gloria which I think was on the October album. Dunno its too hot to think today.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #12
War Child

Fan since late '80, first saw them in 1981.

I'm OK with my penis size, thanks for caring.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 PM
I first heard "Boy" on a local college radio station in 1980, went out and bought it and loved it!

I saw the band perform on the Tom Synder TV show in 1981 and immediately began my lifelong journey as a U2 follower. And I have never regretted one moment of it.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....

Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

I think Fake Edge has been a fan the longest

HAHAHA funny
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #15
Refugee

I was born in 1985, so obviously I couldn't have been a fan since Boy.

The earliest U2 song I remember is Desire (which I didn't actually identify as a U2 song until much later). The only other U2 song I remember before starting to listen to U2 is Mysterious Ways.

I was first aware of U2 when they came to Chicago in the summer of 1997. Two of my older brothers are huge fans (though I think I've surpassed them). I lived downtown with my folks and my little brother, and my two older brothers (who lived in the suburbs with their mom) came into town to see U2 at Soldier Field, a little under a mile away. Nobody thought to themselves, "Gosh, I bet Gavin would love this," so I wound up only being aware that my brothers were off to see U2. I guess I knew they were a rock band, and I was able to hear a little noise from the concert that night, but I wasn't interested.

For Christmas in 1999, I was looking for a gift for one of the afforementioned older brothers. Knowing of their U2 fandom, when I came across the Best Of 1980-1990, I bought it, thinking it was perfect. Of course, he already had it, but I didn't know that. He didn't show up for Christmas, either, so I never gave it to him. It stayed on a shelf in my room for months.

One day in the fall of 2000, I was looking for something to listen to. At the time, the only music radio I EVER listened to was the oldies station at night. Remembering the U2 CD I had bought for my brother, I finally figured that he hadn't shown up to claim it, so it was rightfully mine. I put in my CD player.

And I was hooked.

I didn't listen carefully. I never do on the first listen of anything. But I knew I loved what I was listening to. I started carrying my CD player around with me, and listened to the Best Of and the B-Sides almost constantly on the train to and from school. I had no idea that U2 was completing a new album, and about to go on tour. I bought three albums. First, the Joshua Tree. Then, on the recommendation of my other older brother, the Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby. That's where my collection stood, actually, until relatively recently.

Knowing I was a burgeoning U2 fan, the same brother who had been guiding me through the albums bought me Rattle and Hum on DVD. The second I saw "Where The Streets Have No Name", I was a U2 fan for life. This was in the Spring of 2001, after the Elevation tour swung through Chicago (a fact I was not aware of, anyway, so it's not like I missed it).

Through the summer, though, I loved every second of U2. I heard a few of the new songs on the radio, and loved those, too. I remember downloading Beautiful Day and Elevation (and Walk On, too, I think). Having seen Rattle and Hum, I knew what an amazing live band they were, so you can imagine my elation when I read that they'd be touring North America, including Chicago.

I had my dad buy a ticket for me when they went on sale (I was in school, remember). I instructed him rather clearly to buy me the cheap floor ticket ($45 GA), but he decided that if he were going (he wasn't), he'd want a seat. That's how I wound up sitting on the opposite side of the United Center from U2. Not that it really mattered to me; the show was amazing, I heard some songs I hadn't heard before (Wake Up Dead Man, Kite, Stay, Peace On Earth), and generally had an amazing time. Since then, I've been listening to U2 a lot on and off, intermixed with periods of heavy Weezer, Beatles, and Nirvana listening. My girlfriend gave me the Best of 1990-2000 for Christmas a couple years back.

Vertigo's release jumped me out of my Weezer listening, and since then, I've bought Boy, War, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. The albums I haven't bought yet I've been heavily exposed to by my older brother and various concert bootlegs.

So yeah, that turned into a long story. But to put it shortly, I'm too young to have been a longtime fan. But I love 'em just as much anyway.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:25 AM
I'm the longest fan, you fucks!

Old 12-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
The Fly

I was 9 years old when I snuck into my sisters room to "borrow" her October album. MTV was playing Gloria a lot then. I listened to the album 4 times, then she came home. The next day I snuck in again and grabbed her Boy album. For my 10th birthday my parents bought me the War album and my first U2 poster (still have it). 2 years ago I had my first child, a beautiful daughter. I named her after my personal favorite and most underrated song on the album...Grace.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:29 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I knew them back in '75 when they were good....before they sold out with that "Boy" album.....boy you should've heard them back then.....it was great. Bono wouldn't even write lyrics; he'd just sing out of the Bible. and edge, well, back then we called him curve. he would play in different keys at once, he was so ahead of his time. sometimes the band couldn't fit onstage because of adam's hair. ah...those were the days.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
Bono wouldn't even write lyrics; he'd just sing out of the Bible.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:38 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Didn't I just do a thread on this