who would have the better solo career: the edge or bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I would say The Edge would have better songs and albums, but Bono would have guest contributors (duet with stipe, stapp, jagger and destiny's child; peter buck on guitar as payback for air-rage testimony, maybe coldplay would guest star on a track, cher on another), and I believe bono's more pop-style record would be the one played on the radio and mtv since he would promote his songs hard (boom-cha) and he would be considered the bigger "success"

another question, who would daniel lanois work with if he had to pick sides, probably the edge, yes? edge of course would sing in addition to playing guitars and keyboards

During the making of Achtung Baby, Lanois sided with Larry and Adam as far as the direction he wanted them to go.

i agree with wanderer and khanada.

though bono would definately have the more "sweeter" singing between him and edge.

that apparently, is worth a lot around these parts...

so now you're splitting up U2? :eyebrow:

Id prolly like Edges stuff better, but Bono would be a bigger success commercially. i think. actually i have no clue :D

I think Bono would have a better solo career as an activist and The Edge as curator of world's first beanie museam.

Bono , cause he looks good and wears these glasses , mtv likes the view , mtv doesn't care about sound or songs .
Bono is smarter , his lyrics are very good , + his very good work on MDH soundtrack with other people , he's the voice , the trademark of U2 .
Edge is Bald , he is not guitar genious , good voice , so who knows.......

I don't think I could listen to Edge's voice for a whole album. He has a great voice, but not a lot of dynamic. Bono's done pretty well with his "solo" stuff, not commercially but he's put out some quality songs on compilations.

The Wanderer, do you honestly think Bono would collaborate with STAPP?!

Bono would have a more successful solo career. He has the charisma that Edge is lacking.
Edge wins out in the pure musical talent but, as we all know, pure musical talent doesn't mean you are a mainstream success.

In fact, most of the time, IMO, bands with mainstream success are lacking in pure musical talent ie: CREED. :banghead:

I like Bono's solo stuff a lot, especially the In The Name Of The Father and the MDH soundtrack. Don't see why people say music would sound more pop, MDH was not a mainstream album. Actually ATYCLB is the most mainstream sounding album and that's the one where Bono was absent for some time, campaiging for Debt Relief. He's always the one with the crazy ideas, bringing them into new directions and is not affraid to try anything. Edge is actually the one dissing The Fly and Bono is far less apologetic for their 90s work. He writes the lyrics, contributes to the music, he has a unique voice and style, so it's Bono all the way...

little boy blue said:
he might finally do a duet with Henry Rollins though

I would pay such good money to find those two in a room together (two of my favorite guys, and contrary to popular belief I'm sure they'd get along great).

I was thinking about this same thing earlier. Why has Edge never really pursued any solo stuff? In most bands where there are two or more singers and songwriters, at least one has to go off at some point or another and do solo work out of creative frustration. A few examples -- Stevie Nicks, all of The Beatles, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend.
I think maybe he's not that interested in being the front person. If Edge really wanted to do the singer thing, I think he'd take more opportunities in U2, maybe try to get an A or B side in every album instead of every decade.

As far as a Bono solo career, what would be the point? He has his creative outlet in U2, he's not George Harrison with this backlog of songs allowed only one track per album, each track on a U2 album is written or co-written by Bono. I can see him doing more guest work, though, writing and performing with other people as a way to further express himself and experience different performing and producing techniques he can bring back to U2.

I think The Edge has stated several times over and over again, that they feel their work as a band is much superior to their solo efforts.

Logically I can't see members of U2 being actively involved in creating music after they'd call a day on U2. They'd like to cover some lost time with their families instead. Bono would certainly opt for a campaign than a solo music career. When they'd get bored they'd come back as "The New Passengers"

Back
Top Bottom