Who will sucseed U2 as the biggest band in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
We all know U2 are the biggest band in the world and have been since 84' but who do you think will sucseed them eventually? My opionon would be COLDPLAY. They have an album due out in the summer 05' there 3rd which will make them nearly in line with U2 and when they release there 4th maybe in 2007 i think they then could become the new biggest act in the world. But having said said if U2 release another corker in 2007 well maybe not!

What bands do you think might become biggest act in the world one day?

U2 will probably be the last band to have worldwide acclaim AND artistic credibility. all the big acts today, for me, do not qualify as quality music - britney, christina, beyonce, and other manufactured pop.

Coldplay is decent, but i feel that the more acclaim they receive, the more watered down their music gets. the first album was really good, but the second suffered from too much exposure and the songs lost some spark for me. i mean, i hear that stupid song "Clocks" in every department store and supermarket now.

and not to get off topic but Snow Patrol? i really don't get why U2 hypes this band so much. i think it is because they are one the same label, and want to give them a sales push. but i've listened to "Run" and "Chocolate" from the Final Straw and, to me, it is basically wimpy, faux-epic indie rock with corny lyrics. it all seems so contrived and emotionally vacant.

so there is a big difference between who WILL become the biggest band and who SHOULD become the biggest.

U2 is the last of the superbands. After that superbands will be extinct. Coldplay are nothing but cheap cardboard cutouts who belong in the same league as Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, and Matchbox 20.

Cheers,

J

U2 is the end of the superbands, Coldplay, Chris Martin would never wear leather trousers let alone be anything like Bono in anyway, we need cool, quality music and supurb presence, shit it's over...........

jick said:
U2 is the last of the superbands. After that superbands will be extinct. Coldplay are nothing but cheap cardboard cutouts who belong in the same league as Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, and Matchbox 20.

Cheers,

J

:up: except i hold coldplay in a little higher regard than that, but U2 is indeed the last of the superbands.

the void left by U2 when they gracefully leave the building will be so massive that no one could ever hope to fill their shoes. it's rare for a band to manage three or four excellent (or even good, unfortunately) releases these days, much less project excellence over a 25-year span.

jick said:
Coldplay are nothing but cheap cardboard cutouts who belong in the same league as Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, and Matchbox 20.

Cheers,

J

I couldn't disagree more. Coldplay are one of few decent bands/artists left today.

coldplay are good,so are many bands, but none of them will ever be as great as U2, industries don't like superbands anymore anyway. I believe U2 are the last supergroup and i feel very proud about it!

Coldplay to follow-up u2 on the international stage...it's hard to believe at this point; but there is no question that they are damn good

Coldplay is great and all, but not nearly as great as U2 were, even after U2's second album. If Coldplays third album (still can't wait for it though ;)) is anywhere as big as WAR, then I might reconsider. I thinkt he band that will take U2's throne though probably hasn't really gotten started yet, or is just getting there.

I'd say Switchfoot might have a chance. Their new album I don't think is nearly as good as A New Way To Be Human, but they have plenty of room to grow, and they've got a unique style of pop with distortion, among other things.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Jick,

There you go again dissing a great band like Match Box 20. I was hoping U2 would handover their instrumuent to MB20 like the Police did with them. On a serious note I agree there will never be a superband the likes of U2 ever again...it's all over thank you thank you thank you.

U2 is still competing for the best band in the world title. I'd give them maybe ten years to hand over their instruments to anyone.

U2_Neat said:
coldplay are good,so are many bands, but none of them will ever be as great as U2, industries don't like superbands anymore anyway. I believe U2 are the last supergroup and i feel very proud about it!

I agree. The record companies don't have the same loyalty to bands that they used to. They no longer take the time to develop and support artists, giving them time to become superbands. So, it's no big surprise that what passes for music these days are one hit wonders and bandwagon jumpers who just copy whatever is "cool" at the moment.

Having said that, I do think that Coldplay are poised to become one of THE great bands. I hope Chris Martin hasn't gone all soft and cheesy after marrying Gwenyth.

Coldplay is good. But I still see them as nothing more than a watered-down version of U2. I'll still buy their third album, but unless they start taking more risks (and start finding some originality), their music will begin to stagnate.

So while Coldplay makes some good music, I don't think they'll ever reach the heights U2 achieved with The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

I'm guessing the next supergroup won't be something we'd all like. In fact, we'd probably rip them to shreds on these forums.

Macfistowannabe said:
I'd say Switchfoot might have a chance. Their new album I don't think is nearly as good as A New Way To Be Human, but they have plenty of room to grow, and they've got a unique style of pop with distortion, among other things.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm sorry but I've never read something so asinine or this unintentionally funny on this board ever.

GibsonGirl said:
Coldplay is good. But I still see them as nothing more than a watered-down version of U2. I'll still buy their third album, but unless they start taking more risks (and start finding some originality), their music will begin to stagnate.

So while Coldplay makes some good music, I don't think they'll ever reach the heights U2 achieved with The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

Well said...my sentiments exactly. Chris Martin admits to being a huge u2 fan, and you can clearly hear it in their music, especially in the piano parts and the ooooo ooooo's. I can really see Coldplay hitting the wall a bit if they don't ramp it up and create a sound to call their own. They also don't have the range U2 have...they are a kind of perpetual mellowness. They need a tad bit more edge...but it's too late, they can't have ours.:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom