who wears a White Band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
Hi there,

I was just wondering who here wears a MAKE POVERTY HISTORY white band?? I wear one sometimes and my friends dont seem to approve and alot of people dont seem to understand what its all about....

I know its all about awareness but people question why i wear the band and i dont feel like i am the perfect spokesperson to tell them what its all about and why i wear the wristband...

Who else wears one and what do you tell people that ask about it?

Among doing other things for the cause, I wear one and my wife wears one.

I've had some questions about it but nothing disapproving (although one co-worker asked me if it was a gay thing...I asked if he was asking cos he was interested in some after lunch cuddling...I love embarassing people)

If your friends disapprove of you wearing the band, I'd ask them, "So let me get this straight, you're FOR millions of children dying every year from things that can be prevented or treated? You WANT children to die cos they can't get clean water or the proper medical attention? Oh, well then let me take this band off my wrist..."

I find that it does raise awareness but it also reminds me of things that are more important than my problems in the day and that there are things I could be doing to make a difference...

Sorry if that sounded angry or preachy...

Rafiennes thanks very much i need to hear things like what i can say to my friends... Thanks for the Advice... keep it coming guys

Last edited:
Jeffo17 said:
Rafiennes thanks very much i need to hear things like what i can say to my friends... Thanks for the Advice... keep it coming guys

No problem.
I should admit that I had a cup of really, really strong coffee before writing that last post...

I wear one. I actually sell them where I work at and send all the funds back to ONE to get more bands, when I stop selling them I will send the leftover funds to Data.

I have people ask me what it is once and a while and I just tell them its to help with Aids and poverty which they always understand with no problems.

I've been wearing one since the first show in San Diego.
I've replaced it about seven times....I got 2 left.

I wore it for a while, but honestly, I can't stand anything around my wrist, whether it's a watch, a bracelet, or a wristband.

I kept my GA wristbands on for about two days after a show, and believe me, that's all I could take!

I wear two on my left wrist(watch on right) ... one from the first bunch(interdented letters) and one from the second, with the letters bigger and on the outside.... I got the second from an American friend because my original one was a bit too big... but I figured that because they're different (one, but not the same tee hee!) I'd wear them both...
Today I added an EDUN wristband aswell, cuz I got it sent today :D it's silver, kinda colours nice inbetween two wite ones..

^ I didn't know EDUN had wristbands :up:

I've been wearing mine since May of last year. Just recently I bought a (Product) RED pin and stuck it on my ONE band. Somehow I think people would be more likely to ask about the pin than the bracelet, because everyone and their brother seems to be wearing cause-related wristbands these days, but the pin stands out.
Not many people have asked about my bracelet, but if they do, I can tell them "It's for the ONE campaign, which aims to end poverty in Africa", and if they seemed interested at all after that, I'd elaborate. (Product) RED actually sounds better to explain "A bunch of companies, like Apple and Gap and Converse and Motorola are making red products, with up to half the profits going directly to buy AIDS medication for Africans."

Galeongirl said:
I wear two on my left wrist(watch on right) ... one from the first bunch(interdented letters) and one from the second, with the letters bigger and on the outside.... I got the second from an American friend because my original one was a bit too big... but I figured that because they're different (one, but not the same tee hee!) I'd wear them both...
Today I added an EDUN wristband aswell, cuz I got it sent today :D it's silver, kinda colours nice inbetween two wite ones..

Do you have a picture you can post of the edun wristband it sounds cool?

I have the one with the smaller writing, and when I ordered ONE T-shirts last year off the website, I figured I'd get 10 more (with the bigger writing) just for the fun of it and gave them away at Portland.

Unfortunately, it's not practical for me to wear one since I'm a massage therapist most days of the week, and I'm just too lazy to put the band on when I'm not playing massage therapist. I'm too lazy to even wear my wedding band. :reject: A few weeks ago, I did have a client who was wearing the white band, so it was kind of like a bonding moment. :up:

I really want to get one, but I dont really like the fact that you have to pay $10 for 10. I'll probably give in soon and order a set though.

When someone shows an interest, I take mine off and give it to them. I tell them a little about ONE and point out the website on the inside. I have extras in my desk so I just put another one on. 8 of my co workers are wearing the ONE bracelett. Time to order more.:wink:

ALWAYS wear a white ONE band. It's struck up many a conversation.

Where can we get the Edun wristbands?

I wear mine sometimes. I'm not allowed to wear any jewelry at work, so I usually just forget to put it on other times. I always find myself searching for them on people, though. It's a good way to spot U2 fans.

LyricalDrug said:
I have one but always forget to wear it

just put it on and dont take it off :p

i am in Australia so the "One" wristband is not so eay to get... I the that one looks cooler than the make poverty history one.

i got the white ONE band, since the first day it came out last year and have stuck with it ever since..
not many ask questions because it's really a trend globally, but when one does, i just simply say it's a symbol of me keeping the less-fortunate people in my mind and in my prayers.
only when they probe that I share the history of it, the Africa thing and the make poverty history campaign...
And they just usually go," Ahhh.." and switch conversation :sad: :eyebrow:
My bad.....

sue4u2 said:
When someone shows an interest, I take mine off and give it to them. I tell them a little about ONE and point out the website on the inside. I have extras in my desk so I just put another one on. 8 of my co workers are wearing the ONE bracelett. Time to order more.:wink:

You rock! :up:

I'd like to know where to get the Edun ones too! I'll buy some.

I wear three on my L wrist...I put the white ONE on the day I received my first shipment when they first came out & haven't taken it off since. I give them away and gladly talk to people when they do ask about it. I have also worn a yellow LIVESTRONG band since they came out and gave about 20 of those away. The latest is a green Wildlife Warrior band I got after Steve Irwin's tragic death.

The RED campaign (Gap I believe) has a leather wristband in black or brown with a red bead that I'd like to get but they are sold out all over the place.

I snipped my pink Breast Cancer Awareness wristband last year after the Vegas1 and Vegas2 Vertigo shows when I cut off my elipse wristbands to put in my scrapbook! :ohmy:

I am all for the causes and I always and often am asked what the various wristbands I wear stand for. I always take the time to share with those who do ask, because awareness and talking about the causes is always a first step. Where I work they came out with this what I feel is a ridiculous rule that these wristbands have to be removed before going on the production floors but I refuse to remove them. If I have a need to go to one of the floors I send someone else of have the production folks meet me off the floor. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom