Who was pissed about the One video in drag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxxern

Refugee
There was someone who I can't recall right now who was more than a little irritated that U2 chose to do their video while dressed in drag. They didn't like the idea of a song about AIDS being portrayed by gay people. For the longest time, they had tried to educate people that AIDS was not just a "gay disease", but affected everyone. I think it may have been either some painter or an AIDS activist, but I can't remember for sure right now.

Can anyone help?

------------------
Change is the only constant

Me I much prefer the non-drag bar video. Bono is much hotter as man, as are they all!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
The song wasn't originally about AIDS, it took that on later.

The painter, David Wojnarowicz, did the first video with the buffaoes and such based on his art which was influenced by the AIDS epidemic.

As for the drag video, its my favorite U2 video. Take One out of the AIDS issue and put it in the general humanity issue. We're One but we're not the same, we have to carry each other. Some of us are men, some of us are women, some are old, some are young pop stars. I think the drag video was much more about loving humanity and each other than just loving those with AIDS.

I mean, if you really think about, then what does the One video #2 mean? That all gay men with AIDS get drunk at bars? I've always seen One as having more than one meaning which means more than one way to approach the song.

I had a hard time w/them in dresses..
Then my musicallyretarded friends wrer calling me up sayin- " See I told you Bono was gay".
I had to kick a little ass after that.

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

I would just like to add that many tranvestites are heterosexual. They just happen to get off on dressing up in women's clothing.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

Then my musicallyretarded friends wrer calling me up sayin- " See I told you Bono was gay".
I had to kick a little ass after that.

DB9

do you kick ass when someone says atyclb sucks?

i'm sure there is some nonsensical barrage of consonants and numbers coming back at me but what the heck.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
do you kick ass when someone says atyclb sucks?

i'm sure there is some nonsensical barrage of consonants and numbers coming back at me but what the heck.

I don't post here much, but damn! I just thought that was funny. thanks.

Originally posted by sharky:
I mean, if you really think about, then what does the One video #2 mean? That all gay men with AIDS get drunk at bars? I've always seen One as having more than one meaning which means more than one way to approach the song.

Agreed. I don't think the One (#2 or 3) video--Bono in the bar version--had anything really to do with AIDS/ I think that one was more of a love song. It shows the many different ways One can be taken, the different ways it realates to life--to everyone's life...and etc, etc, etc. I won't get all philosohical here, but one is the epitome of the the 'everyman's soing.' It can mean so much...

I liked the video. I thought it showed the band's creative side of it.I had a cousin who was gay whos died of aids 8 years ago, and I am not offended by the video in the least.

i like the video. i'm friends with several gay people and the video does not offend me. i think it's creative. and everybody knows...

adam in a dress=HOT
biggrin.gif

------------------
Happy Hannukah!

"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values." - Bono

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed...

The band (or maybe it was anton corbijn)stated that the whole drag thing wasn't neccessarily a reference to homosexuality. It was to potray 'the inherent duality in all of us'.. the whole video is centered around that concept.. All the symmetry, the see-saw, two cars crashing, it's to show the two sides of everything.. or at least that's what I thought.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
It was to potray 'the inherent duality in all of us'.. the whole video is centered around that concept.. All the symmetry, the see-saw, two cars crashing, it's to show the two sides of everything.. or at least that's what I thought.

I believe you are RIGHT ON w/ this analysis.

And I saw absolutely nothing wrong w/them being 'in drag'-I admired them for being so open to that sort of thing.

In fact, I rather enjoyed the way they looked.

<------should in all probability see a shrink.
wink.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

I like video in bar and with U2 in dresses , they both , very cool to me , but video with buffaoes is a little bit dull , it was very cool for ZOO TV , but not for home video

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Would you ever kick my ass, Diamond?

OK-I want you guys to 'have it out' once and for all.

Steel cage match, w/ live web cast on Interference.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Must you insist on continually making an ASS of yourself, Bama?

That's all in the eye of the beholder, my friend.

I rather enjoy Bama and his keen wit-I think he must be Irish.
wink.gif

So when are you two gonna rumble ?
biggrin.gif

------------------

My favourite was the video with the running buffaloes, and the 'Ones' in different languages. That was really original.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

I enjoyed the original version of the One video a lot. The buffalo version, but now that someone made it clear what the Berlin/drag version was about, it makes more sense to me and I have more respect for that video as well.

On a side note why do people respond to threads then start arguing in them? It kind of ruins the continuity of the threads discussion.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Let's get ready to RUMMMMMBLE!!!!!! --Michael Buffer

GET READY 4 THIS

I usually dont rumble with guys that have GIRL names- "Bama"..
or
fight w/guys who wear dresses..

Bama get a life..

Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

I've noticed some dimontension between bama and diamond....whats the beef?

also diamond just IMed me and told me he's sharing a cabin with two "sexies" tonight......it's official...there is no justice in the world

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 12-08-2001).]

Anyone else here surprised that they actually got Larry to wear a dress? I bet he was the one that came up with THAT idea. *eye roll*

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying I was pissed or anything. I think it's a great video--one of their best. But I can see how some people would see it as AIDS=gay. I remembered reading that a while ago, and thinking it was probably not meant to be like that. But some people just get a little touchy sometimes.
*cough*Bama*cough*Diamond*cough*
tongue.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

I usually dont rumble with guys that have GIRL names- "Bama"..

Diamond

Don't mean to fuel any fires, but I couldn't help but notice that I've kown more girls named "Diamond" than "Bama" (who would name their girl Bama anyway?) Just an observation!
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."

I just watched the video today, before I read this thread. I really liked the one with the bad members in dresses. I liked it BETTER than the one with Bono in the bar.

1. The one with Bono in the bar seems too typically MTV - quick snapshots of the lead singer and some woman, body parts, no real interpretation of anything. Sure, I say "way too MTV" now after being sick of it for years, but maybe when it came out originally it didn't fit into that category but it does now.

2. the version with the band in dresses is a lot more memorable because of the dresses, it makes you look very carefully at men *most* people in the world respect and say, "no big deal." They even make it look beautiful. And I think there is a lot to be said for its visual interpretation of the lyrics. My comments are very simplistic, but that's what comes to mind right now.

The antagonistic 'southern asswipe' continues on in predictable fashion...
READ BELOW FOLKS-
It's good to know that you wouldn't fight U2 over the "One" video being discussed.

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

Back
Top Bottom