Who the hell told U2 that we enjoy remixes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm sick of it. The 1990 - 2000 disc 2 is a piece of garbage and only 2 or 3 tracks are worth even listening to. The others are just crappy remixes of decent songs.

I want to know, when did U2 form this sort of terrible alliance with whoever the hell is coming up with these remixes. Yes, U2, believe it or not a non-dance version of the song is enough for most of us.

Do any of you actually enjoy these remixes? I just can't see what is so good about it. :madspit:

i feel singles should be the following

1st single with a remix as a b side
2nd single with an old fashioned b side (a song that did not make the album)

I love them. Even if a song has 7 or 8 or more remixes, each one shows a new depth or a new arrangement or a new dynamic or what have you to the song. There are lots of times when I just pop in a single of a song and listen to all the remixes straight through rather than the album track.

I'd rather have one original b-side over 10 remixes! It does piss me off that they keep putting out remixes of album tracks on their singles. We know they have plenty of material that they could use as b-sides. Just use it!

i tend to agree. i dont like most of the remix's out there. some of them i do though. i wont get into which ones right now. i am supposed to be cleaning. so hopefully my wife wont see me writting this. i do wish that they would stick with unreleased songs and also live tracks.

I agree, Im not a fan of remixes, however I did like some remixes of Mysterious Ways, but other than that Id wish theyd stick with unreleased tracks.

Remixes are bloody awful and I don't see the point in them. However, if they are saving up original material because it still has the potential to develop and become album tracks, then I think I'd rather they not use it as a b-side and I'll tolerate some remixes.

they should be more like Oasis. Oasis' singles have the main song, and 3 new bsides, almost every one of their singles is that way. i feel only about 10% of the remixes U2 puts out are listenable.

You guys take bands like U2 and Oasis and Radiohead and Coldplay for granted. There are only a handful of bands still together that have ever released b-sides, like actual unreleased songs, on singles. You have to remember, it's pretty much a lost art. B-sides were common in the 60s/70s/80s when vinyl and cassettes were still the main mediums for listening to music, and there were actual physical B-Sides that needed music to be put on them. The whole concept of B-Sides died with the birth of the CD and the digital age. You think most of the crap bands on MTV and the radio and such give a crap about B-Sides? You think they are even aware of what the concept of B-Sides is? No. I am betting that when all is said and done, U2 will have 3-4 actual B-Side unreleased songs on the singles combined, and that is what they normally do for each LP. People are forgetting how rare just that is anymore. Stop bitching and moaning and taking bands like this for granted.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I enjoy the remixes. They are great to workout to.

I always thought the same thing - the new Vertigo remixes really motivate me when I go to the gym.

I do like the original B-Sides, but picking up on what Axver said, U2 do seem to have inceasingly been choosing to develop unfinished material further, as opposed to leaving it be. It seems that OOTS and Sometimes.. are two of the more oioular songs off of HTDAAB, and they were both working-in-progress around the time of ATYCLB. If they'd have been shoved as B-Sides on the ATYCLB singles in their unfinished state, then I think it would have been a great loss to this album :shrug:

I can count on one hand the U2 remixes I actually like - the Hollywood remix of Desire, the remix of Dirty Day that is on the b-side disc of the Best of 1990-2000 and maybe one or two others. Most of the rest are just painful to listen to.

Remixes :madspit: ,,,

I like one of the Lemon remixes... But the others are pure crap..

I know I shouldn't be letting others' opinions get on my nerves, but I am. All of you are so negative and unforgiving about the remixes. A lot of them are actually really good! Give the following a listen:

Even Better Than The Real Thing(V16 Exit Wound Remix)
Lemon(Bad Yard Club Remix)
Discotheque(all of them)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses(Temple Bar Remix)
Mofo(Romin Remix)
Dirty Day(Junk Day Remix)
Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Remix)
Elevation(Influx Remix)(Best mix of Elevation there is)
Elevation(Tomb Raider Remix)
Beautiful Day(Quincey And Sonance Remix)
Vertigo(Jacknife Lee Remix)
If God Will Send His Angels(Grand Jury Remix)
Lemon(Jeep Mix)

And all of the Melon remixes

A few of the remixes you listed really are quite good, more of them are pretty bad than are good. I just can't stand all the dance remixes that barely even feature the original song. Why bother even listening to them. It's just annoying.

What you have to consider is that original B-Sides aren't songs that were written to be B-Sides, they are songs that were written for the record and didn't make it. If U2 put most of the songs written for the record on the record, there's going to be less b-sides, that's just the way it is. And it they don't have as many songs written for HTDAAB as they did for, say, Joshua Tree, and they're still going to release singles, they can't release CDs with one track on them, they have to fill the CDs with something. That's one reason why there's so many remixes.

Yes, but they did used to purposely record cover songs and stuff for b-sides. Especially during the Rattle And Hum to Zooropa Era, they would record a lot of covers for the iintended purpos of having more b-sides. I would much rather have a new cover song, ala Neon Lights from the Vertigo single, then a dance remix of a song we already have.

As Namkcur said above, some of the remixes are really good. I think it's a pity some people here aren't more broad minded in their musical tastes. I find most rock bands boring, apart from U2, they're just derivative, even REM have done nothing particularly interesting in their last few albums. I don't like all the U2 remixes but some of them I love.

Lancemc said:
Yes, but they did used to purposely record cover songs and stuff for b-sides. Especially during the Rattle And Hum to Zooropa Era, they would record a lot of covers for the iintended purpos of having more b-sides. I would much rather have a new cover song, ala Neon Lights from the Vertigo single, then a dance remix of a song we already have.

They still are, you said yourself, 'Neon Lights'. There are probably still two more singles to go, just wait. Remember, the first two singles of Achtung Baby were The Fly and Mysterious Ways, and among them they had no covers and only one original b-side. And then look at the following three, One, EBTTRT, and Who's Gona Ride.....

namkcuR said:

They still are, you said yourself, 'Neon Lights'. There are probably still two more singles to go, just wait. Remember, the first two singles of Achtung Baby were The Fly and Mysterious Ways, and among them they had no covers and only one original b-side. And then look at the following three, One, EBTTRT, and Who's Gona Ride.....

That's a good point. I'd still prefer anything over a remix though :wink:

Lay off the remixes. Many of them are worth listening to, and some are incredible. My fav is Mofo (Phunk Phorce Mix).

One of the reasons I don't like the remixes is because it takes no effort from U2 to make them. Some DJ just has to get permission to screw with the song and SPLAT, there's the one b-side you get for the single for which you've been waiting months. It's just more rewarding to me to listen to an original b-side or a cover song or something the band actual put their heart into.

When I buy a U2 album or single, the whole reason I buy it is for U2 .

Remixes are - more often than not - other artists replacing U2's instruments with their own. (the extreme being First Night In Hell)

When was the last time Larry & Edge featured in a remix? Usually it's just Bono singing over some DJ's dance groove and a few added keyboards. That is NOT U2 and I'm not interested.
U2 is a rock back. Gimme the rock!!

If I wanna hear Jacknife Lee, I'll buy his album.

[end of rant]

chocky said:
When I buy a U2 album or single, the whole reason I buy it is for U2 .

Remixes are - more often than not - other artists replacing U2's instruments with their own. (the extreme being First Night In Hell)

When was the last time Larry & Edge featured in a remix? Usually it's just Bono singing over some DJ's dance groove and a few added keyboards. That is NOT U2 and I'm not interested.
U2 is a rock back. Gimme the rock!!

If I wanna hear Jacknife Lee, I'll buy his album.

[end of rant]

But it's still music written by U2, and I really doubt for most of the remixes that the DJ or whoever actually completely takes all the band's parts out. That wouldn't be a remix, that would be the DJ's cover of a U2 song. There's a big difference.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I'm sick of it. The 1990 - 2000 disc 2 is a piece of garbage and only 2 or 3 tracks are worth even listening to. The others are just crappy remixes of decent songs.

I want to know, when did U2 form this sort of terrible alliance with whoever the hell is coming up with these remixes. Yes, U2, believe it or not a non-dance version of the song is enough for most of us.

Do any of you actually enjoy these remixes? I just can't see what is so good about it. :madspit:

Gotta agree, their is hardly one decent remix that has ever been done on a U2 song. The only one I can think of is "Mysterious Ways" perfecto mix by Oakenfold which had decent music in it. But the others seem to be a crappy repetetive dancebeat that go on for about 6 or 7 minutes. No, I gotta say that I never listen to any of the remixes except the above mentioned and then I would rather listen to the superb album version. I think its done when they don't have enough songs for B-sides and to get played in clubs obviously.

Back
Top Bottom