Who should induct U2 to The Rock N? Roll Hall Of Fame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotta give my 2 cents about Coldplay here. I think they're doing something with their music that few bands are doing these days and something that U2 has been very insistant about doing with the last album - they're writing songs with the undercurrent of Joy (and anybody whose met Joy knows she's got a great undercurrent - ahthankyou :sexywink: )

Lots of Coldplay's songs have that sense that things can be better than they really are. There's a beauty to their melodies and arrangements. AND, the fact that they started writing their last album on Sep 12, 2001 puts a whole different spin on that glorious album. I defy anyone to listen to The Scientist and think of it in that context -- a relationship against the backdrop of Sep 11 -- and NOT be moved by that.

They're a really good band that could be a great band in a few years. They're not sitting there bitching about Daddy not playing catch with them like 80% of American bands these days. They're saying, life is what you make of it, so make it a good one. That's alright in my book.

I think Grohl or Vedder or Corgan aren't mainstream/popular enough to do it. (and I don't know that any of them are openly fans of U2)

I wouldn't mind if they picked Carson Daly - he had a great speech at the MTV awards IMO. "the beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart".

I think Yorke (I'm not sure he'd accept if he was asked though) or Martin are most likely, what about Daniel Lanois?

If they want to pick someone older, then anyone from Springsteen to Dylan to Reed to Jagger to McCartney could be the inductor.

U2girl said:

I wouldn't mind if they picked Carson Daly - he had a great speech at the MTV awards IMO. "the beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart".

BARRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwen Stefani, Michael Stipe, Chris Martin, Billy Corgan, Elvis Costello, Eno, and Bruce Springsteen. All together do the induction. Now THAT would rule!

I've found if you can ignore the hype and the silly, premature comparisons to U2, Coldplay is a very enjoyable band to listen to.

I loathe Carson Daly, but I have to admit that speech he gave at the VMAs when U2 won the Video Vanguard Award kicked ass! I don't understand how someone who genuinely loves music (he has to if he loves U2 that much) can stand to be involved in TRL.

U2girl said:
I think Grohl or Vedder or Corgan aren't mainstream/popular enough to do it. (and I don't know that any of them are openly fans of U2)

I think Yorke (I'm not sure he'd accept if he was asked though) or Martin are most likely, what about Daniel Lanois?

If they want to pick someone older, then anyone from Springsteen to Dylan to Reed to Jagger to McCartney could be the inductor.

The only popular artist I've ever actually heard say "U2 are the best band on Earth" is Billy Corgan. Others say they "like" U2. Corgan LOVES U2.

You know, it is entirely possible that more than one artist will induct U2. They had Outkast and Alicia Keys induct Prince, and as you all know, both Edge and Tom Morello inducted the Clash.

You know in the end it doesn?t really matter who inducts U2 cause everybody knows that at some point Bono will rush in the stage, knock the person out and start making a speech of his own cause well that?s Bono, if the mike is on then he wants it!

:bono: = :rant: = :laugh:

I get kind of tired of Coldplay being touted as a band with sometihng to say. Their lyrics are shallow, lame and uninspiring to me.

"look at the sun, see how it shines for you, and it was all yellow too"

"closing doors and ticking clocks, yooooou are!"

I have never seen or heard any deep meaning in them. But if you like them that's your choice. But he did say he was taking several years off to raise a family. I heard it myself right from his mouth on TV. So that will slow the band down. If there's anything 9-11 related in their music, even symbolic, I'm sure it has to be negative and anti-US. He despises my country so much he refuses to have his child raised here. So I don't want to hear him sing about 9-11:(

But you're right Braziilan Fly :laugh:

It will be a party no matter what. Yes Bono's Shades I do think more than one person will have something to do with it and that will be cool.

One word on Grohl though, he is VERY popular and mainstream, I'd say more than Coldplay (and not only because I dig his music much more!) He is big with the Foo Fighters, and has already inducted somebody, I think it was Queen? Anybody remember? He hangs around several of the induction ceremonies like Bono, getting his name remembered for when his time comes. Don't forget he was also the drummer for Nirvana and they were HUGE.

I don't think it'll be Grohl though because he and Bono aren't friends.

Last edited:
Grohl would never work b/c I don't think he's a "fan."

Moby is a fan. Martin is a fan. Corgan is a fan. Costello is a fan. Jagger is a fan/ friend. Fans would be better than I just liked War.... or something.

I like Carson Daly but pleaaaaaaase don't waste an induction speech with Daly...

RnR Hall of Fame doesn't cater to the mainstream, look at the closing jams and the inductees... they happen to just give a nod to the present what is impacting mainstream music. Sure you have guys like N'Sync presenting on occasion (they had an awesome performance with their BeeGees medley a couple years back), but you also have people and bands participating that no one really remembers.

B/C of that info, the mainstream appeal of the inductor doesn't make that biiiiiiig of a difference.

U2Kitten said:
I get kind of tired of Coldplay being touted as a band with sometihng to say. Their lyrics are shallow, lame and uninspiring to me.

I have never seen or heard any deep meaning in them. But if you like them that's your choice. But he did say he was taking several years off to raise a family. I heard it myself right from his mouth on TV. So that will slow the band down. If there's anything 9-11 related in their music, even symbolic, I'm sure it has to be negative and anti-US. He despises my country so much he refuses to have his child raised here. So I don't want to hear him sing about 9-11:(

Actually, there's nothing even remotely negative or anti-American in their music as far as the 9-11 connection goes. It comes more from a sense of disbelief of what happened (Politik), sadness over personal losses (The Scientist), the anger of the senselessness of the acts (Rush Of Blood To The Head) and hope for something better (Amsterdam).

And not every band can have inspired lyrics. Hell, U2's even guilty of a few lines here and there that have fallen short...I know there's been more than one discussion about U2 Lyrics That Bug Ya! Off the top of my head, the one line that gets me to this day: "In the days when we were swinging from the trees - I was a monkey stealing honey from a swarm of bees" Bono working on The Jungle Book after Peter & The Wolf?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if you're so insistant that coldplay needs another 2 great albums in order to have the humbling honor of giving a speech about why u2 is great
has nothing to do with 'humbling honour' but with knowing rom experience what you are talking about

though people as Corgan & Vedder might not have had the mainstream success they have actually been around in the music business long enough (and succesfull in their own rights) to have been able to see what U2 have done and to know how hard it is to survive in that business the way U2 has

they should know what they are talking about

Colplay might be on the brink of something (something other than further blandness I hope) but to have them do an induction of U2 at this point of their career would make no sense to me
you could just about as well have a big fan from here do the speech

not that I care who'll do it because I prolly won't watch it anyway

U2DeathBear said:
Gwen Stefani....now that would be great!!

Stefani is with an F, I knew that! :crack: I work with a guy named DeStephano, and I've been writing that so much it was in my head. Sorry for the stupid mistake :eek:

I'll go for the older crowd...Lou Reed, Bob Dylan (told them not to forget their folk heritage), Sting (if he can be humble), Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger. I'd love to see Brian Eno induct them, and I believe he should be inducted himself. I'm sure he's eligible by now.

Michael Stipe, Billy Corgan, Elvis Costello or Van Morrison would be my next group to choose from.

BTW - love the emotional connection I get when I hear Coldplay, but I do have to take breaks from continual listening, unlike U2 - I could listen to "always".

wolfeden said:
same question is going, over on @U2's forum...
I really don't think Coldplay is all that and a bag of chips and I don't think Chris Martin deserves the honor, quite frankly.

I like the idea of Stipe a lot.
Springsteen could return the favor, or Little Steven....
BB King.....
Bob Dylan.....!!! But he'd never do it.
Peter Garrett would be a nice touch, or Tim Farris of INXS..
Willie Nelson...
Chris Tucker? Yeah an actor-comedian, but still....

<sarcasm>Henry Rollins!</sarcasm>

Yeah, I started that one on @u2, a few days before this one. I'm "hmtmkmkm" over there wolfeden. :wave:

I suggested Tom Morello. Not that Chris Martin is bad choice, but Rage Against the Machine have been around longer, AND, there's a good chance some of Tom's guitar playing is influenced by Edge's guitar playing, certainly much of the content of Rage's music is more closer to U2 than Coldplay.

The riffs that don't even sound like a guitar, like the intro to "Until...world," or some of the riffs on Bullet the Blue Sky. A lot of guitarists do long solos, and 'gymnastics' as Edge calls it. While Edge really does have his own style, as plenty of guitar magazines and books have informed me. Tom also makes sounds come out of the guitar that aren't the usual long solo and gymnastic stuff.

"I'm a big fan of U2. I've been a fan for about 10 years," (Tom)Morello said. "When I first moved out to Los Angeles I had this really horrible job. I was a filing clerk. I alphabetized eight hours a day all by myself and the bosses were very cruel and I was super poor, making sub-minimum wage, and I had one tape, and it was [U2's] The Unforgettable Fire. I was listening to that for hours and hours, day after day, month after month to really help me get through that time. In that music there's so much hope and so much passion, it helped me transcend that mundane, grim, crappy experience and I've been a fan since then."-mtv.com

Last edited:
Henry Rollins

just kidding :wink:

rock veterans: Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Lou Reed, Brian Eno

rock peers: michael stipe, gavin friday, gucci, james hetfield

rocksters the next generation: thom yorke, noel gallagher, billy corgan, eddie vedder, tom morello, zack de la rocha

"nu"-rocksters: (not even going there, unless it's gwen stefani :love: )

U2Kitten said:

But you're right Braziilan Fly :laugh:

It will be a party no matter what. Yes Bono's Shades I do think more than one person will have something to do with it and that will be cool.

One word on Grohl though, he is VERY popular and mainstream, I'd say more than Coldplay (and not only because I dig his music much more!) He is big with the Foo Fighters, and has already inducted somebody, I think it was Queen? Anybody remember? He hangs around several of the induction ceremonies like Bono, getting his name remembered for when his time comes. Don't forget he was also the drummer for Nirvana and they were HUGE.

I don't think it'll be Grohl though because he and Bono aren't friends.

you don't like coldplay and that's allright for me, I respect your oppinion and you're not a better or worse person for that. However, you would impress me more highlighting the reasons why you like anything (I know it would be a big challenge) instead of throwing ridiculous arguments documented with song quotes out of any context to justify something that you just don't like.
Then, and i am sorry to say this, but you should realize that there is a whole world beside the us where:
a - Grohl is not that popular (btw, I met him once in Santiago de Compostela and talked a bit - nice guy), at least comparing to coldplay.
b - People can express themselves in public that they don't agree with the policy that the leaders of any country without being filed as enemies/anti/haters of that country. In the particular case of Chris Martin, he expressed himself also against Tony Blair and english policy, shall we understand from this that he hates england too? I am portuguese and I really think that our prime-minister is doing an awful job, especially on foeign issues, and i assure you that i love my country.

One of the reasons why I think u2&bono are great is because they have been showing us that there's a non visible good side from a lot of things and people (even gwbush) that is worth to know and to use to make a better world. We would be better fans by learning anything from this instead of just collecting pictures.

Peace.

Here's the official betting:

Chris Martin 15/1
Michael Stipe 4/1
Springsteen 7/1
Dylan 40/1
Zach De la Rocha 10/1
Willy Nelson 500/1
Billy Corgan 5/1
Elvis Costello 6/1
Pope John Paul II 500/1
Moby 25/1
Jon Bon Jovi 30/1
Eddie Vedder 12/1
Goerge Bush Snr 150/1
Paul Mcartney 66/1
Brian May 40/1
Bill Clinton 16/1
Thom York 18/1
Kylie Minogue 400/1
Eminem 200/1
Liam/Noel Gallagher 25/1
Geldof 80/1
Marilyn Manson 800/1
Gwen Stefani 20/1
Salmun Rushdie 100/1
Brian Eno 15/1
Daniel Lanois 20/1
Mick Jagger 50/1
Elvis 13/1
Van Morrison 60/1
Lou Reed 20/1
Gavin Friday 80/1
Victoria Adams 500/1
Peter Garret 500/1
Creed representer 500/1
Eric Clapton 50/1
Michael Jackson 200/1
J Lo 300/1
Jewel 100/1
Lenny Kravitz 30/1
Madonna 25/1
Meatloaf 300/1
Sting 20/1
Andrea Corr 150/1
Weird Al Yankovic 400/1
Prince 100/1
Rubens Barrichello 500/1
Ed Roland 15/1
Bernard Fanning 66/1
Anthony Kiedis 18/1
Lhars Ulrich 25/1
Britney Spears 200/1
Christy Turlington 166/1
Tiger Woods 500/1

bedouin fire said:

you don't like coldplay and that's allright for me, I respect your oppinion and you're not a better or worse person for that. However, you would impress me more highlighting the reasons why you like anything (I know it would be a big challenge) instead of throwing ridiculous arguments documented with song quotes out of any context to justify something that you just don't like.
Then, and i am sorry to say this, but you should realize that there is a whole world beside the us where:
a - Grohl is not that popular (btw, I met him once in Santiago de Compostela and talked a bit - nice guy), at least comparing to coldplay.
b - People can express themselves in public that they don't agree with the policy that the leaders of any country without being filed as enemies/anti/haters of that country. In the particular case of Chris Martin, he expressed himself also against Tony Blair and english policy, shall we understand from this that he hates england too? I am portuguese and I really think that our prime-minister is doing an awful job, especially on foeign issues, and i assure you that i love my country.

One of the reasons why I think u2&bono are great is because they have been showing us that there's a non visible good side from a lot of things and people (even gwbush) that is worth to know and to use to make a better world. We would be better fans by learning anything from this instead of just collecting pictures.

Peace.

Gee I've finally been flamed! I told the first person in this thread who said they didn't like Coldplay this would happen! At least 2 other people in here dissed them and you didn't post rude things about them.

See this is what pisses me off and HURTS. We all have our own opnions on things, and we should feel free to express them without the fear of PERSONAL attacks on our character by someone who doesn't even know us. It's fine to list the reasons you do and do not like a band or their music and we all have to deal with that. I don't care. BUT when you start getting personal and assume I'm some airhead who only collects pictures and doesn't know anything or care you are wrong and insulting. Yes I collect pictures, it's a hobby and I enjoy it. I have a miserable life and it literally gets me through some tough times. But I am not stupid. I have followed U2 since 1983 and I know all about their history and what they are about. I am active with Jubilee and DATA, helping Bono's Angels send emails and postcards. I know all about the important stuff and I do care. I just do not happen to enjoy the boring, dull, music of Coldplay. So that makes me a bad person and worthy of an attack? You act like their music is something important in the world, but I'm saying, I don't see or hear that, and I don't like the singer's voice (personal taste) so I find their songs unbearable. I feel the same way about DMB. If you like them and want to list the reasons you like them against reasons other people don't that is fine. Making unfair and hateful assumptions about me because I don't like your favorite band is not. :down:

And Grohl IS that popular, he was in NIRVANA, a very popular and now legendary band. Even if he didn't form Foo Fighters he would be, but his famous albums and tours with them has made him even more well known. He has inducted people at the Hall of Fame and will be there himself before Chris Martin.

No matter what our personal opinions on a ROCK BAND are, throwing incorrect assumptions and putdowns to a person's character, integrity and intellect is out of line.

About the US bashing stuff, of course everybody has a right to express that they don't like a policy. I don't like everything America does myself. But how would you like it if I came to your country, married a guy from your country, then tried to tell the people how to vote and that I was so disgusted by your country that I didn't want my child raised there? Oh, but I want the money of your fans! THAT'S what pisses me off about him, and that's why I really don't want to hear anything he has to preach about this country because I know deep down he can't stand it.

Flying FuManchu, I respect your analysis and appreciate the courteous way you tried to explain your points:) We should all have that much class. We CAN have discussions without jumping to conclusions and flaming. It's better that way.

Last edited:
stagman said:
Here's the official betting:

Chris Martin 15/1
Michael Stipe 4/1
Springsteen 7/1
Dylan 40/1
Zach De la Rocha 10/1
Willy Nelson 500/1
Billy Corgan 5/1
Elvis Costello 6/1
Pope John Paul II 500/1
Moby 25/1
Jon Bon Jovi 30/1
Eddie Vedder 12/1
Goerge Bush Snr 150/1
Paul Mcartney 66/1
Brian May 40/1
Bill Clinton 16/1
Thom York 18/1
Kylie Minogue 400/1
Eminem 200/1
Liam/Noel Gallagher 25/1
Geldof 80/1
Marilyn Manson 800/1
Gwen Stefani 20/1
Salmun Rushdie 100/1
Brian Eno 15/1
Daniel Lanois 20/1
Mick Jagger 50/1
Elvis 13/1
Van Morrison 60/1
Lou Reed 20/1
Gavin Friday 80/1
Victoria Adams 500/1
Peter Garret 500/1
Creed representer 500/1
Eric Clapton 50/1
Michael Jackson 200/1
J Lo 300/1
Jewel 100/1
Lenny Kravitz 30/1
Madonna 25/1
Meatloaf 300/1
Sting 20/1
Andrea Corr 150/1
Weird Al Yankovic 400/1
Prince 100/1
Rubens Barrichello 500/1
Ed Roland 15/1
Bernard Fanning 66/1
Anthony Kiedis 18/1
Lhars Ulrich 25/1
Britney Spears 200/1
Christy Turlington 166/1
Tiger Woods 500/1

:applaud: :lmao:

U2Kitten said:

Gee I've finally been flamed! I told the first person in this thread who said they didn't like Coldplay this would happen! At least 2 other people in here dissed them and you didn't post rude things about them.

See this is what pisses me off and HURTS. We all have our own opnions on things, and we should feel free to express them without the fear of PERSONAL attacks on our character by someone who doesn't even know us. It's fine to list the reasons you do and do not like a band or their music and we all have to deal with that. I don't care. BUT when you start getting personal and assume I'm some airhead who only collects pictures and doesn't know anything or care you are wrong and insulting. Yes I collect pictures, it's a hobby and I enjoy it. I have a miserable life and it literally gets me through some tough times. But I am not stupid. I have followed U2 since 1983 and I know all about their history and what they are about. I am active with Jubilee and DATA, helping Bono's Angels send emails and postcards. I know all about the important stuff and I do care. I just do not happen to enjoy the boring, dull, music of Coldplay. So that makes me a bad person and worthy of an attack? You act like their music is something important in the world, but I'm saying, I don't see or hear that, and I don't like the singer's voice (personal taste) so I find their songs unbearable. I feel the same way about DMB. If you like them and want to list the reasons you like them against reasons other people don't that is fine. Making unfair and hateful assumptions about me because I don't like your favorite band is not. :down:

And Grohl IS that popular, he was in NIRVANA, a very popular and now legendary band. Even if he didn't form Foo Fighters he would be, but his famous albums and tours with them has made him even more well known. He has inducted people at the Hall of Fame and will be there himself before Chris Martin.

No matter what our personal opinions on a ROCK BAND are, throwing incorrect assumptions and putdowns to a person's character, integrity and intellect is out of line.

About the US bashing stuff, of course everybody has a right to express that they don't like a policy. I don't like everything America does myself. But how would you like it if I came to your country, married a guy from your country, then tried to tell the people how to vote and that I was so disgusted by your country that I didn't want my child raised there? Oh, but I want the money of your fans! THAT'S what pisses me off about him, and that's why I really don't want to hear anything he has to preach about this country because I know deep down he can't stand it.

Flying FuManchu, I respect your analysis and appreciate the courteous way you tried to explain your points:) We should all have that much class. We CAN have discussions without jumping to conclusions and flaming. It's better that way.

1 - You are free to post your opinion as i am free to disagree and express mine. That's just what happened and will continue to happen to everyone in the future. I was clear when I said that "I respect your oppinion and you're not a better or worse person for that", but it looks like that for you, anyone that has an opinion different from yours on musical taste, policy, or ideal place to raise a child is offending you and flaming you and hurting you and making personal attacks and what ever more... so, if it's like this there's no room here to discuss more.

2 - I am really glad to hear that you are active with Jubilee and DATA, helping Bono's Angels send emails and postcards, so you have my admiration for that.

3 - If you want to come to my country and marry someone here, you will be welcome as well any child that you may want to raise here or anywhere else. I will be also available to hear what you think about my country and and how to vote, and if your oppinion is different from mine I will not assume that you hate me.

4 - Back to the topic, I still think Michael Stipe is the best choice (who btw is much more anti-bush activist than Chris Martin).

Last edited:
theSoulfulMofo said:

rock peers: james hetfield

Okay now that would be amazing, a dream come true but it would never happen I think. I don't know if they know each other. Lars once said that Achtung Baby is one of his favorite rock albums ever!! In the DVD where they talk about the Black Album there?s a moment where James is listening to something that Kirk recorded for Sad But True and it reminds you a little of I Will Follow and James said: "Hey, it's Kirk's U2 guitar. Yeah, his U2 guitar!" and he made this face of "Fuck yeah, that rocks!" I couldn?t take that smile off my face for a week after that. I wish they all knew each other, they would have a good time together I think.

He has no connection to U2. They don't know or like each other and are a very different type of music. I don't know why he'd be chosen.

Must people post so harsh on music they don't like?

I like Coldplay, yes I noticed the similarities to U2's sound (the guitar) but no, I wouldn't compare them to U2 or, as many critics have, Radiohead. They're doing their own thing, they did it with songwriting in a time when hip hop/R&B/rap/pop rules the chart and the mainstream - and I certainly prefer them over the gazilion of nu-metal rockers that seem to yell "world sucks" 24/7 or the skanky pop "singers". In the last few years they are the biggest band out of all the new music.

I don't really care where he wished to raise his children - which is, ultimately, HIS and Gwyneth's business (considering US and it's arms/drugs/crime problems I can see his point), and AFAIK the only political thing he said was at the Grammys when he said he hopes Kerry will win - that is far from telling people who they should vote for.
What is so bad about wanting people's money for a good cause - make trade fair?

(true, Grohl did his own thing but popularity-wise, he is nowhere near the Nirvana days)

It's not that its' THEIR business, it's that I find it insulting that they want our money (for CDs and concerts!) and the country is not good enough to raise his kid in. I didn't even know he was asking for money for make trade fair, but if he is, any American would be crazy to give. It's those types of programs that have sent jobs overseas and cut wages here to where many average hard working families can't afford a home (like me!) Two people now earn less than one did years ago, and it's getting worse. No, I don't believe it's okay to send some jobs overseas so some people can have jobs there while more lose them here. Spread the pain around? Is that right? I'm all for people in other countries having jobs but when you hurt people in another country, someone is always hurt. Surely there is a better way. I have seen this happen in my lifetime and could lecture on it, so no, I do not support his cause at all. Bono's AIDS funding and debt reduction, yes, but not that.

Speaking of Make trade fair, Martin wrote that on his arm in pencil and Liam Gallagher made fun of him. That's something I love about the Gallagher brothers besides their music, they hate Chris Martin and joke on him. Good on ya guys! :up:

Martin is a weasly, whiney little twit who is full of himself and I'm really tired of hearing about him. That's one of the reasons I feel the way I do about them, the ad nauseum hype and overrating, especially here on this forum. Okay, that's all I'm going to say. Don't bother to bash me again, you won't change my mind and I won't change yours. No need to have the thread closed.

Back to BF's choice: I like Stipe, I respect him as a person and and artist and I like his music. However, I don't think he'll induct U2 because they might even be inducted themselves on the same night! They are about the same age guys and band and they might go in together! Wouldn't that be cool, a U2- REM all star jam!

Last edited:
I would love it if Stipe did. He'd be my first pick.

But Thom Yorke? Nuh uh. If you have any Radiohead CDs, look in the "special thanks" sections. The band, or at least Thom list "Michael Stipe" as one of the reasons they wake up in the morning. Sounds to me that Thom would be more likel;y to induct REM, not U2.

Vampira said:
They don't know or like each other and are a very different type of music.

Are you talking about James Hetfield? Who said they don't like each other? You never heard or read that so don't make things up just because you don't like their music. That?s just stupid. Your tastes on music are not the same as everybody else here so a little respect would be nice. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom