Who Should Induct U2 and WHY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Dear all,

I am going to write an article on the U2 RHRHOF announcement and U2 fans' opinions on who should induct the band and why. Who would you like to see perform, etc? What would be a fitting way to induct the Boys?

Looking forward to hearing from you, and as always, please leave permission to be quoted.

Many thanks!
C

Personnally it's should be obvious!

Coldplay/Chris Martin.

Chris has mentionned outloud that U2 is their biggest influence.

They have the same style of music (big anthem songs).

He wrote about them in the Rolling Stone magasine biggest rock acts of all time (if I remember correctly the subject of that issue).

They are following in their footsteps as political activists/humanatarians with Make trade fair and other issues including the remake of Live Band 20!

Pretty clear for me who should introduce U2 at the rock n' roll hall of fame!
:)

Chris Martin is a good thought. I think is should be someone very well distinguished though, maybe already in the R & R hall. Someone like Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney.

While Martin is an obvious choice, being influenced, I think more and more they should go with Michael Stipe (or all from REM).

They're friends, contemporaries, share similar values (both did political songs and both did things for charity), I think both Bono and Stipe are sort of icons of their generation and both respected songwriters/singers and I bet Stipe would make a great speech. Both survived the years, and are one of the few 80's bands with relevance and popularity. Both of them have also been influential to many bands.

As for performing, I don't know. Don't the inductees play?

Last edited:
I nominate the Pope. Wearing Bono's shades. You think I'm joking?

Should the Pope have more important things to worry about in March (like that whole "Easter" thing), I do think it needs to be someone massive, and a friend:

- Bob Dylan
- Bill Clinton
- Vaclav Havel
- Salmon Rushdie
- George Bush Sr. (can talk about the ZooTV crank calls!)

If you're going strictly for rock contemporaries and followers of U2, I think it comes down to three:

- Michael Stipe
- Thom Yorke
- Chris Martin
...and maybe
- Noel Gallagher

Bill Clinton maybe. As for somebody in music, I would have to go with Springsteen or somebody like that...maybe a team of people would be best....and we are only assuming U2 is going to get in on the first ballot...which they deserve to do.

As far as Micheal Stipe I wouldnt mind that but I would dispute the claim of REM being popular still, dont think they are too much more popular then somebody like Depeche Mode or The Cure now.

I vote for Chris Martin. Coldplay has been heavily influenced by U2, and Bono is a huge Coldplay fan. There is alot of mutual respect. Michael Stipe would be good too.

Last edited:
I think Elvis Costello is great choice because he is not only a contemporary and friend but he's an admitted fan.

Chris Martin is also a good choice, for the reasons macfisto and several others already stated.

And you may quote me on that :wink:

To me, it doesn't matter who inducts them as long as they are a gifted public speaker who can put the whole thing into historical perspective, but with a very clever sense of humor (or humour as the case may be). I always thought that Bono gave exceptional introductions (fitting the above criteria); and, I'd like to see U2 get no less of an introduction when their time arrives.

With that said, Tiny Tim gets my vote.

I mentioned this on another thread so my apologies for repeating but I think the Who should induct them (Rog and Pete) since Bono has made some very public mentions lately how they were influenced by the Who. "The Who is everything U2 wanted to be..." Bono's quote from the Jonathon Ross show. He also gave them a mention on his intro to ABOY ( a Who love song). Don't forget that U2 were the ones who inducted the Who. Only seems fitting.

If not then I could see Pete Townshend doing it, Bill Clinton or Nelson Mandela.

Permission to use

I would go with Bill Clinton.. simply because he exemplifies one bridge between rock music and politics/world affairs.
Really when you think about it, what other band has played at Presidential inaugurations, attendend conventions of both parties and invited to attend functions with no less than 4 living Presidents - as the main entertainment. :bono: :edge:
Not to mention the fact Clinton is a most excellent speaker and loves U2 and is truly friends with Bono. :heart:
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if BC hasn't already put in for it or been asked to induct them. Just my opinion, of course.
But I don't know who makes the decision of who will induct them?? :shrug:

Peter Gabriel gets my vote.
He's a true artist as is our B-man.
brian Eno would write an interesting speech though

I think it would be nice to see someone that has been influenced by U2's music. That being said I think someone like Chris Martin would be a great choice, he has said a number of times that he is a fan of U2, and that Coldplays music has been greatly influenced by them. I also think it would be neat to see a group that is young and starting out, maybe someone like Franz Ferdinan. Bono has said before that he likes their music, so I think that the members of U2 would approve of them inducting them. I think that there are really so many people out there that would love to have the honor of inducting U2 into the R&R Hall of Fame. So whoever the person chosen is, they are extremely fortunate to have part in the whole experience.

If you'd like you may quote me. :wink:

Personally I would really rather see someone like Stipe or a major contemporary (perhaps Sting? although he has seemed to be off in his own little world as of late) than Coldplay's Chris Martin. Partially because Coldplay has dropped off the radar musically, but also because I feel that they really are not a rock and roll act, as opposed to REM. I feel that if someone like REM, Bruce, the Who inducted them, it would be a much better seal of approval. I'm very intrigued by the Bill Clinton suggestion, however. Is it rare for politicians to induct musicians into the Hall of Fame, or has it been done before?

Well, at any rate, our boys are no strangers to doing the unexpected.

Wonder if Bono will make another comment like he did with the UK Hall of Fame, that he wanted to kill himself. Oh, the things that come out his mouth :wink:

Meg
(p.s. full permission given)

I want the Gallagher brothers! The person who inducts an artist/band is almost always a younger band who was influenced by the inducted artist, and Oasis was. Also, the band have toured together and have been friends, they're still close friends, one of the songs on HTDAAB (One Step Closer) was dedicated to Noel. Bono used to joke that they were like their naughty little brothers and they babysat them as kids. Add to this that the Gallaghers are hilarious and would make for a funny, cool, and interesting induction, unlike boring as yesterday's oatmeal Chris Martin. So I hope for Noel and/or Liam.

Do producers ever induct bands they worked with?

If so, Lanois and Eno (and Lillywhite) could do it.

As for someone older than the band - either Dylan or Springsteen. Both have been an influence on U2, in their early years and Bono has worked/sung with them on stage.

You can quote me, Carrie.

Last edited:
Ian McCulloch, it would be highly entertaining, and probably th eonly time any HOF speech would include the phrase "mountain goat"

What about Stipe with his sidekick Bruce Springsteen. I think U2 deserve that couple.

Or maybe Britney Spears who could prove she is worthy and not only a puppet of the industry...

Or could anybody raise Sinatra from his grave?

permission

U2Kitten said:
I want the Gallagher brothers! The person who inducts an artist/band is almost always a younger band who was influenced by the inducted artist, and Oasis was. Also, the band have toured together and have been friends, they're still close friends, one of the songs on HTDAAB (One Step Closer) was dedicated to Noel. Bono used to joke that they were like their naughty little brothers and they babysat them as kids. Add to this that the Gallaghers are hilarious and would make for a funny, cool, and interesting induction, unlike boring as yesterday's oatmeal Chris Martin. So I hope for Noel and/or Liam.

Agreed!!! couldnt have said it better myself. If you watch the little video montage from the UK Hall of Fame, there are a few clips of Noel saying some really great things about U2. i.e. "in my mind, there's no doubt that U2 are right up there with the Beatles" or something like that....

I would like to see either Chris Martin or Michael Stipe or hell even both of them induct U2 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I believe Chris represents the younger generation that was influenced by U2 and Micheal Stipe being a close friend and also a contemporary to U2 would be able to represent the longevity of musical talent.

Doesn't the band get to specify who inducts them? I seem to remember Steely Dan asking for Moby.

Bono might well ask Dr. Dre for all we know.

Who would I like? Someone articulate and respected. If they truly love U2 that is all that matters to me.

I I ruled the world, Michael Stipe. Why? Because I like him and He likes U2.

dream wanderer

I think they will go with someone already inducted as they continue to define themselves as the greatest rock band ever. Personally, I think Jagger, McCartney, or Townshend would be the best, although I don't think any of them will do it. I would also like Dylan or Springsteen.

Back
Top Bottom