Who Should Induct U2 and WHY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good one but 4 million people can't be wrong. We may have got stuck with Billy Boy but his wifie doesn't have a chance in hell.

First Liberate Iraq....Then take back Hollywood!!

The Police handed the reigns over to U2 , so it would be fitting if Sting now completed the circle with inducting U2 into the Hall.

4 million?
you lost me there.

I totally agree with the Sting line. He did pass over the reigns that would be fitting.

I agree with Noel Gallagher. It seems like Bono is much closer to Noel than he is to Sting. (Anyone read the numerous cracks about Sting in "U2 at the End of the World"? Priceless.) And that Bono has a lot of real respect for Oasis. Oasis at their best struck that note of sincerity that Bono and the boys were so afraid of hitting in the mid/late-90s. Seems that maybe Oasis brought U2 back to their roots a little bit, perhaps.

Permission, permission.

It should definitely be a musician or industry type person - no political types please.

1 - Chris Blackwell, founder of Island records. Why - he first signed U2 and gave them the deal they wanted.

2 - Steve Lilywhite, producer. Why - produced the early and latest music, friend of the band.

3 - Jimmy Iovine, producer but more recently industry type at Interscope. Why - produced them, knows them and appears to be a friend

and yes, you can quote me

Martin would be great. What other band has been as heavily influenced?

Mr. Macphisto. That'd be grand. hahahah

Led Zeppelin was the world's greatest rock band from 1970-79. U2 took over after that and have been the greatest band since. The band, especially Mullen and Edge, are particularly big fans of Led Zep...why not Robert Plant and Jimmy Page?

mentioned arleady, but could be a good choice because they are either friends or fans of the band

bruce
jagger
moby
sting
stipe
anthony kiedes

**edited to erase chris martin and thom yorke, while either or seem like the right person to do it since they are probably fans and have been influenced...they seem to lack the charisma and attitude that makes a good speeech....u2 deserve a top of the line charismatic, funny, clever, and praising weel-written speech ..i'm not sure they are capable of delivering that

Last edited:
I really have to agree with BW here and believe Sir Bob Geldof is the choice.

It was at Live Aid where U2 began to make their mark on the world, plus LA was an event that really encompassed the two things that really are the embodiment of U2 at their core, great music and a fervent compassion for human rights and peace. Geldof would also be in a unique position to comment on a U2 comparison with the other legends playing that day (Queen, The Who, McCartney) and speak of their place among the greats.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems obvious to me.

I give permission.

I love Coldplay, but I'm definitely going to veto Chris Martin. Rolling Stone asked him to write a tribute to U2 in their 50 Greatest Artists issue and what Martin wrote could have been written by any high schooler deeply obsessed with their own personal connection with U2.

I'm also going to veto anyone who started recording albums and became an established artist before U2 because, as stated already, the person who inducts the band is typically younger.

Paul McGuinness, Gavin Friday, Jimmy Iovine, etc. are also going to be vetoed because they are not far enough removed from the band to be able to cover what U2 means to the true fan and accurately describe U2's contribution to the legacy of rock & roll. (And Iovine could really give a shite what kind of music U2 makes as long as it makes him money.)

That said, the best suggestion I've seen here is Bob Geldof, who is certainly capable of addressing the significance of U2's politics and social awareness, and could to a pretty not-bad job of describing U2's legacy in a historical perspective.

My next suggestion is Wyclef Jean. Wyclef obviously has mad respect for the band, as he's colaborated with them on several different occasions. His music is infused with the same passion about social issues that helped distinguish both him and U2 from their contemporaries. Also, I think an induction by a hip hop artist will be a testament to how U2's music and themes have transcended musical boundaries.

permission to quote

Last edited:
I have changed my mind (Jagger, McCartney, Springsteen) and think Bob Geldof would be the best choice.

I'd love to see Thom Yorke do it, but I wonder if he'd worry about losing any cred with his fans. That would be a nice slap in the face to any elitist Radiohead fans.

I'd suggest Noel or Liam Gallagher but no one in the United States cares about what either of those assholes has to say, and probably wouldn't be able to understand them anyway.

David Bowie would really be a nice selection, even if he came before U2. He's another true artist who has pushed the boundaries of music, yet still knows how to write great pop songs, even if no one's listening anymore (personally I loved his last two records).

laz

With U2 being inducted into the hall of fame, I feel nothing can be as appropriate as Bono inducting U2. lol. But SERIOUSLY, since that will be an unlikelihood, it would be interesting to see Bob Dylan, Martin (but I wouldn't bet on it), and oh, how comedic, Bono's Doppelanger.*

*Sorry if I misspelled that, I'm an American + I haven't bought that book => Go figure

any of the following can be quoted (not that you'd want to):

I remember someone saying on another forum that it "would rock!" if Patti Smith would induct them, and i'm tempted to agree...but seeing as she's cussed out Bono on at least two occasions, an induction by her seems unlikely...
Speaking of which, forgive me for bringing up something which is off the subject, but i heard that Patti Smith was being nominated for induction as well...does anyone know if she will be inducted?

Back
Top Bottom