Who remembers the night All That You Can't Leave Behind was released on this board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I can't believe it was over a year ago. That was a very fun night. Everyone was trying to download the songs and post their comments. I downloaded the whole album and listened to it until 3am, and I had school the next morning. I remember listening to Elevation and Kite for the first time and being blown away. U2 rocks.

I remember that night very well! of course the virgins won't, oh boy i do remember that controversy. Anyway, I'm certainly glad I got them right then, as they were being put up on u2tour.com after the failed attempt of some guy to share them on napster. i remember being intrigued by the first few seconds of walk on, but most of all i remember hearing that opening guitar on IALW for the first time, and falling instantly in love with the song when the drums kicked in. I remember listening to it and then running as fast as I could down the stairs with a huge grin on my face to excitedly tell my brother how great it was, and he agreed. It's been my favourite song on the album and one of my favourite songs of all time ever since then, and whenever I'm feeling low, I put it on and somehow it lifts my spirits right up. And now that I finally have a really special girl in my life (3 month anniversary on tuesday) it means even more to me. Like I thought that would be possible.

Yeah, it was really cool. I remember the scramble to get them all downloaded, and one by one I heard the songs in their entirety. It was so awesome, and though I wasn't as blown away as some of you may have been, I appreciated the fresh sound, and I felt like this album could have a fighting chance if we could get it on the radio. It was pretty neat to have my first "new" U2 album, and I don't think I'll ever feel like that again. To look back at the huge worldwide success that the album became is just incredible.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Honestly, I was floored by the clips that U2 had released prior to Oct 2000. I really felt underwhelmed by the album on the first listen. It didn't impress me on the first listen. In fact, it even confused me.

However, as I soon found out, ATYCLB was like musical crack. I was addicted. In a 2 day period, I must've listened to the album 20 times. Even in the 1.5 years since the release I STILL can't stop listening to it.

I need a 12 step program. *sniff*sniff*

Foxxern: You'll feel like that again when the next album arrives. That's the beauty of U2 albums. They're always fresh.

[This message has been edited by rsanta74 (edited 03-01-2002).]

i remember lining up outside of Best Buy at 9:45am waiting for it to open so I could buy the damn thing. There were about 20 other people and every one of us went and grabbed the same thing and went straight out to our cars and began to jam. I was numb and confused the first listen, and I didn't really start to like it till the 3rd listen and I realized it was because I had such high expectations that I was only coming down from my cloud on the 3rd listen
smile.gif

Actually no I don't...

I don't have any recollection at all.
That's probably because after I intially signed up, I didn't post anything or bothered to even check the board until a year and a half later.

Aren't I slack...

Originally posted by JimmyChicken:
Actually no I don't...

I don't have any recollection at all.
That's probably because after I intially signed up, I didn't post anything or bothered to even check the board until a year and a half later.

Aren't I slack...

Who were you before JimmyChicken?

I do!

I remember both when riversteed told us about the 30 second clips, AND when the album was released. Man, That was some good times. I remember sitting in my bed, headphones on, listening to the whole album in one pass, thinking: holy shit, what an album!

Thats something ill remember for a long time!

I was lurking back then and trying to get info on the "new" album, and there was a divison of people who were going to wait for the new album and those that didn't. Then there were some pretty intense "discussions" over that and I was like what in the hell is up with these people fighting? LOL, who am I to say that now
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by JimmyChicken:
Erm... I forgot my username...
So that's probably why I didn't post anything.
That would probably explain it then
smile.gif
Glad you are back, we can always use a few more animals around this zoo
wink.gif

I was lurking long before the clips came out!

I LOVE those clips! It took me a good 4 months to love the album as much.

I think I was lurking at that time but it was such an amusing night. Lined up on Newbury Street at 12 am. Freeeeeeezing.

Yeah! Wasn't it riversteed who uncovered a bunch of the clips before u2.com meant to release them? Was awesome. I fell squarely into the "hell yeah, I'm gonna listen to them" camp.
smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I definitely remember. It was when I first started hanging around this place. I distinctly remember a guy from Finland sending me the sound clips over ICQ and it took forever!

Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
z edge, i hear that about the whole lurking thing. Actually, i think it was the posting of ATYCLB that got me to finally post here for reals.
Sweet UCLA~, glad you are here
cool.gif

_ooropamanda, yes you were fighting, and I remember at least one person having to call the law-dogs on YOU alone
wink.gif

That's the reason why I'm here now. I didn't know interference at that time and I was directed to here by somebody(who I forgot...
tongue.gif
) after the clips were released.

I was an ATYCLB virgin out of free will
flame me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I think I had heard about 5 songs off Pop, before it was released so getting it home wasnt much of a treasure as say Zooropa, but ATYCLB, after downloading all the 30 second spots, then the full versions of BD and WILATW etc, then the whole thing was on the net, then when it came out I actually waited until the day AFTER to go get the album, very anti-climatic, and very unfulfilling. In retro spect I wouldnt have downloaded it all before it came out, but then again if you told me I could download a single new U2 song, i would probably go do it, ah the temptation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom