Who Is The Weakest U2 Fan Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another couple of prizes:

City Of Blinding Lights:
http://s5.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=2YAUS8WCTVOL51FU00G74QPH0E

One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989, Dublin:
http://s5.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=0TSPR9UHD9ANG3GAA3KVTECX5X

Meghan said:
Maybe Indra would like Mercy?

Actually, what indra would really like is a certain bassist named Steve and a certain guitarist named Marty, a couple sets of handcuffs, some leather straps, a little melted chocolate.... :drool:

After a few hours I might consider showing them a little mercy..... :evil: :D

neutral said:
:ohmy: :laugh:

Perhaps So Cruel would be more to Indra's liking. :D

Perhaps it would. :wink: A good time would be had by all. A very, very good time. :sexywink:

Ok, here goes. Until September of 2004, I only knew U2 by the few songs they played on the radio - some from the JT, and 'One' from AB. I loved what I now know to be U2 songs in the '80s, but I didn't know these songs were them. I always would say I liked U2, but actually I didn't know what Larry or Adam looked like or what their names were until last year! :reject:

Axver said:
:laugh: OK, what prize does indra get?

I was gonna say a swift kick in the ass, but I now know she's a girl.....so that's out.

hmmm.....how 'bout a broccolli cake?

indra said:
3) I have Boy, October, War, UF, Wide Awake in America, Under A Blood Red Sky, JT, R&H, and a couple of singles. All on cassette. Never bothered to upgrade to CD. Used to have the video of Under A Blood Red Sky, but it got mangled, so I tossed it out. Don't have anything else.

Jeez. Even Jick (RIP) bought Pop (just so he could say that he hated it).

I must admit I only bought Joshua Tree on CD relatively recently, after making do with a cassette copy for well over a decade, which is strange as it's my favourite album. :wink:

But it's funny that you don't like U2's '90's stuff, as from what I've read about the Church they are somewhat similar to My Bloody Valentine in sound (I think??), and U2's '90's output is a bit like that too.

Last edited:
indra said:

Actually, what indra would really like is a certain bassist named Steve and a certain guitarist named Marty, a couple sets of handcuffs, some leather straps, a little melted chocolate.... :drool:

After a few hours I might consider showing them a little mercy..... :evil: :D

Then you would like Achtung Baby....plenty of S&M references on that album....seriously, give it another try. :wink:

JOFO said:

I was gonna say a swift kick in the ass, but I now know she's a girl.....so that's out.

hmmm.....how 'bout a broccolli cake?

I quite like broccoli actually! :wink:

indra, I was pretty rude to you in the last thread you made.
So in that respect I do owe you an apology, you have never been less than respectful to me. Of course, I didnt read the replies. :)

I do however find it hard to beleive that you claim you've never heard Limp Bizkit. Do you live in a cave?:wink:
You surely need to know the crapfest of mainstream coroporate rock out there as to be able to differentiate?? Maybe not.

And if you've never heard Acrobat, you should download that.

financeguy said:

Then you would like Achtung Baby....plenty of S&M references on that album....seriously, give it another try. :wink:

Well, what I have in mind is really more BD than SM.... :D

But of the songs offered up as my prize (Thanks MrBrau1 and Axver!), Acrobat is the one I like best after a few listens. So I might actually have to give AB another try. :ohmy:

financeguy said:

But it's funny that you don't like U2's '90's stuff, as from what I've read about the Church they are somewhat similar to My Bloody Valentine in sound (I think??), and U2's '90's output is a bit like that too.

To be fair, it's not so much that I don't like U2's 90's output as it is I haven't heard it. The 90's for me were pretty much a lost decade -- although I listened to music (well...there were a couple of years where I didn't even listen to much), I didn't buy new music from anyone except at the very beginning of the decade and the very end. I kind of moved away from listening to U2, even the older stuff, so when I started getting interested in new (or at least new to me) music at the end of the decade it never occurred to me to check out anything else they had done. (and the few songs of theirs I'd heard in passing in stores or on the tv didn't exactly thrill me.)

I wouldn't really call The Church's style/sound shoegazy, wall of sound, although they do have a touch of that. They are most often compared to Echo and The Bunnymen, The Cure, The Psychadelic Furs -- that sound.

U2DMfan said:
indra, I was pretty rude to you in the last thread you made.
So in that respect I do owe you an apology, you have never been less than respectful to me. Of course, I didnt read the replies. :)

I do however find it hard to beleive that you claim you've never heard Limp Bizkit. Do you live in a cave?:wink:
You surely need to know the crapfest of mainstream coroporate rock out there as to be able to differentiate?? Maybe not.

And if you've never heard Acrobat, you should download that.

I remember that thread. :mad: Eh, no worries. I've been razzed worse and called worse -- far worse -- on a couple Church boards, so I'm used to it. Of course, if I ever run into those jerks in person they'll be singing a couple octaves highter... :madspit: :wink:

Well, I don't listen to the radio (except occasionally if the power goes out and the dog freaks out because it is too quiet, but then it's just on for background noise), don't watch much tv, don't shop at the mall or big box stores (so don't hear what they play in store), work for myself (so I don't have to listen to "office" music, and I actually do live in a very rural area (so I rarely here other people speak, let alone what they have on the radio). So it's kinda like living in a cave. :yes:

I've learned what I like and I go with that most of the time. And I think I waded through enough crappy music in my youth to last a lifetime. :huh: But I do have friends with similar tastes and we recommed music to each other, so I do find new material that way. Yeah, I might miss a few artists I'd like, but hell I'm spending enough as it is supporting The Church, so it's probably just as well I don't find too many great bands. :wink:

And I did DL Acrobat -- so far it's my favorite of the songs noted in this thread.

Last edited:
I appreciate what you said, and would only say again, I apologize for being a jerk.

I wish I could withstand the wrath of the corporate behemoth.
But I just need new music, and there are so few true avenues to get it, often times I end up watching MTV and listening to the crappy FM rock stations just to hear something...anything that might be interesting. I do have a netwrok of friends with good tastes. That is usually where I find the best recommendations.

U2DMfan said:
I appreciate what you said, and would only say again, I apologize for being a jerk.

I wish I could withstand the wrath of the corporate behemoth.
But I just need new music, and there are so few true avenues to get it, often times I end up watching MTV and listening to the crappy FM rock stations just to hear something...anything that might be interesting. I do have a netwrok of friends with good tastes. That is usually where I find the best recommendations.

Can you stream radio stations over the internet? If so, try http://www.woxy.com it's now an internet only station, but it was the one radio station I would listen to over the years. I think it's one of the very best stations in the US and it is truly independent. And apparently they've added a vintage stream too -- so you can hear all those great alt. songs of the past few decades. Well worth a try.

* edited because I can't fucking spell! :madspit:

Last edited:
JOFO said:
In concordance with the previous thread entitled "Who Is The Biggest U2 Fan Here?" (http://forum.interference.com/t134398.html), we'll now find out who the weakest fan here is.
The criteria are as follows:
1. Your favorite band is Limp Bizcut.
2. You've never seen them live, and don't really want to for that matter.
3. Not only do you not own any bootlegs, but you do not own any singles, albums, best of's, or even mp3's or burned cd's someone made for you.
4. If you met the band in person, you'd be beligerent and curse them out, possibly even take a swing at Adam.
5. You do not know any lyrics, song titles, album titles, band members names, or what country they're from, and couldn't care less anyways.

I disqualify myself based on all 5 categories.

let's hear from ya!

I first wanna say did you expect someone here to actually be that bad of a fan? They wouldn't be here if they were.

1. Limp Bizkit would be in my top 10 or so bands.
2. I haven't seen them live, I desperately want to but -
- I'm 15 and they are all in their 40's.
- Watching the Slane concert scared me. I'd like to know how many people died of suffocation. You hate to have that crowd-phobia.
- A bit of my U2 history. A first listened to a U2 cd at christmas last year when I bought HTDAAB. I first heard a U2 song about two or three years prior. I bought ATYCLB in roughly Feburary. I bought the 80/90 best of in Aprilish. I bought Achtung Baby about a month ago.
3. I have no idea what a bootleg is, I think it's a tour dvd, I don't know. I own four cd's, no singles, and I downloaded Out Of Control today.
4. If I met the band in person, which I don't think I ever will, I would thank them for Kite and ask them if they think Achtung Baby is the best thing anyone's ever made as well.
5. I can sing almost every word to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, but I did have Adam and Larry mixed up for ages. From the Slane concert - "We're not going to New York or London. Dublin is our tribe.

Enough said.

Re: Re: Who Is The Weakest U2 Fan Here?

COBL_04 said:

3. I have no idea what a bootleg is, I think it's a tour dvd,
5. From the Slane concert - "We're not going to New York or London. Dublin is our tribe.

Enough said.

We're not gonna stay in London... we're not gonna go to New York City We're gonna stay and base our crew in Dublin! 'cause these people. This is our tribe.

(i got this from listening to my bootleg.)

Re: Re: Who Is The Weakest U2 Fan Here?

COBL_04 said:
3. I have no idea what a bootleg is, I think it's a tour dvd, I don't know. I own four cd's, no singles, and I downloaded Out Of Control today.

A bootleg is an unofficial recording of a concert, generally made by someone in the audience with taping equipment (though sometimes bootlegs from other sources such as the mixing desk or the bands' in ear monitors become available).

indra said:

Right here!

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought, "Oh cool! A title I can win!" :D

So on to the criteria.

1) My very favorite band is (let's all say this together as I am incredibly blatant in my promotion of them) The Church.

The Church? Aren't they a band from the 80's/early 90's? They are still together? Wow... I knew a few Church songs back then, but I couldn't name a single one now, without getting my CD's and cheating. Well, at least it's not as bad as liking Radiohead more. I swear, "O.K. Computer" is the single most over-rated album I've ever heard. Not the worst - but it makes Coldplay's more recent work actually seem good.

doctorwho said:

The Church? Aren't they a band from the 80's/early 90's? They are still together? Wow... I knew a few Church songs back then, but I couldn't name a single one now, without getting my CD's and cheating. Well, at least it's not as bad as liking Radiohead more.

:| I guess I'm not quite blatant enough in my promotion of The Church.... :huh:

"People talk about the 80's as if it's a country we're from. 'Hey, you're that guy from the 80's!' Yes, I was passing through that era along with everybody else..." -- Steve Kilbey 3/13/04 (he's a bit touchy about that whole 80's tag.)

Yep, they are still together 25 years, 4 drummers, only god knows how many record labels, and 16 (or 21 depending on what you count) albums later. And preparing to release album #17 (or 22) early next year. Not nearly as commercially viable as they were in the late 80's early 90's, but I actually like them better now (I think they even play their older songs better live now). They are excellent musicians who don't give a damn about what is currently popular.

I suspect the songs of their's you remember include "Under The Milky Way," "Reptile," "Metropolis," and "You're Still Beautiful" from the Starfish (1988) and Gold Afternoon Fix (1990) albums. That was the height of their popularity. :wink:

indra said:

:| I guess I'm not quite blatant enough in my promotion of The Church.... :huh:

"People talk about the 80's as if it's a country we're from. 'Hey, you're that guy from the 80's!' Yes, I was passing through that era along with everybody else..." -- Steve Kilbey 3/13/04 (he's a bit touchy about that whole 80's tag.)

Yep, they are still together 25 years, 4 drummers, only god knows how many record labels, and 16 (or 21 depending on what you count) albums later. And preparing to release album #17 (or 22) early next year. Not nearly as commercially viable as they were in the late 80's early 90's, but I actually like them better now (I think they even play their older songs better live now). They are excellent musicians who don't give a damn about what is currently popular.

I suspect the songs of their's you remember include "Under The Milky Way," "Reptile," "Metropolis," and "You're Still Beautiful" from the Starfish (1988) and Gold Afternoon Fix (1990) albums. That was the height of their popularity. :wink:

Did I ever mention that their second (?) drummer, Richard somebody, came from my hometown? :wink: A friend of mine bumped into him yonks ago outside a pub. Needless to say, Rick was totally spaced out of his brain! :lol:

blueeyedgirl said:

Did I ever mention that their second (?) drummer, Richard somebody, came from my hometown? :wink: A friend of mine bumped into him yonks ago outside a pub. Needless to say, Rick was totally spaced out of his brain! :lol:

Richard Ploog -- yeah he was the second drummer. Hell, he's was a member of The Church -- "spaced out of his brain" was the modus operandi. :) From what I heard he had a meltdown during the recording of Gold Afternoon Fix and either dropped out or was pushed out.

Still does some drumming on some of Peter Koppes' projects and is apparently quite happy as a gardener (or horticulturist -- which title he gets depends on who you talk to). With his history, I can't help but wonder just what kind of plants he's growing. :wink:

boystupidboy said:
Who are this band called 'the church'? Did they have any hits???

Catholic and Protestant are two you might know. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom