Who Is Eileen Murphy - And Just What Is Her Gripe Against U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
She's always slamming U2 in some way or another, and it's really starting to get old and annoying. I think she's one of these people who used to be obsessed with U2 and now thinks they somehow betrayed her in some way - and so she's made it her personal mission to slag them off any way she can. Just a theory though. Here she actually makes fun of Bono's Frank Sinatra Grammy speech. It's only the best speech Sinatra has ever received - something Frank even said right afterwards! Guess I won't be reading any articles from The Irish Echo anymore...

http://www.irishecho.com
September 19, 2002
From The Irish Echo:

New & Noteworthy: You're ridin' high in April . . .
By Eileen Murphy

Can anyone ever forget Bono's famous (or is that infamous) Grammy speech a few years back, when he informed a
gobsmacked nation that Frank Sinatra was a man "heavier than the Empire State"?

The occasion was the granting of a lifetime achievement award to ol' Blue Eyes, and Bono was tapped to talk because . . .
because . . . hmmmm. Why was he picked, anyway?

Thinking.

Thinking.

Thinking.

Oh, yes! Ostensibly, he was chosen thanks to his guest appearance on Frank's phenomenally popular "Duets" album,
crooning off-key on "I've Got You Under My Skin." But most people would agree that the real reason was his penchant for
giving entertainingly screwy speeches. A few excerpts:

"He's big on attitude, serious attitude, bad attitude. Frank's "Chairman of the Bad."

"Rock and roll plays at being tough, but this guy, well, he's the boss. The boss of bosses. The man. The big bang of pop."

And, our favorite:

"This singer who makes other men poets, boxing clever with every word, talking like America: fast, straight-up, in headlines,
coming through with the big schtick, the asides, the quiet compliments, good cop/bad cop all in the same breath."

Anyway, what brought all this on was the news that Bono has covered another Sinatra classic, "That's Life," for the soundtrack
of the upcoming Neil Jordan movie, "The Good Thief." The film stars Nick Nolte, Ralph Fiennes and Ryan Phillippe.

Speaking of Bono, the globetrotting singer will appear on the "Oprah Winfrey Show" this week to discuss his role in African
relief efforts. The show will air Friday, Sept. 20 (check local listings).

I think those quotes from his speech are quite good, really. Bono's poetic, and his speeches aren't the same old butt-kissing crap you usually hear at an awards show.

:down: to the author of that pointless piece. At least she had the decency not to mock his concern for Africa.

gee, who did she expect? a fellow rat packer? :rolleyes:

the whole point of those is so a younger person can present the award, someone who looks up to and idolizes them. which is why if, say, U2 were to get this award or be inducted to the rock and roll hall of fame, who would give them the award? michael stipe? no. it'd be someone like scott stapp or some other young hopeful. good god. :tsk:

He wasn't chosen just because he was on the Duets album. Bono met Frank back in 1987 and they were friends ever since. Is this lady bored or something? Why does she even need to write an article about a speech Bono gave almost ten years ago? Oh, just to plug his appearance on Oprah, but I guess a plug also includes a stupid article.

Back
Top Bottom