Who invented the double entrendre for praying and oral sex: Madonna or Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing, since this was a discussion of song interpretation it probably belonged in "It's a Musical Journey" all along.

Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture......

Maeve said:

We are Christians. At least the last time I went to mass, (this past Sunday), we still believed that Jesus is Son of God and in, his teachings. And thanks U2 Granny, for pointing this out Because the evangelical church, (fundamentalist) like to believe otherwise, about Catholics that 'tis.

sorry for the misimpression!
oh of course i know that , but as you pointed out there are certain very christian right groups who hate catholics and would get rid of them as much as they could for other groups they hate.

I've met many Catholics in my lifetime who identify themselves as Catholics, not Christians.

"So, you're a Christian, yeah?"
"No, I'm Catholic."
"But...you believe Jesus is the son of God."
"Yes."
"So you're a Christian, then."
"No. I'm a Catholic."

Many people don't seem to realize these two can co-exist...odd.

-Miggy

I thought Catholics, Protestants and members of the Orthodox Church were all a part of Christianity?

Wow! Those people need to wake up and stop accepting everything that's spoon fed to them! What would a catholic be if he/she is not a christian? a heretic.

Initially, before martin luther etc, there was only 1 christianity, and it was ruled from rome. When the protestants broke away the roman christians remained, and the word catholic was used, I think it means something like "one church?", to distuinguish the original religion from the new ones.
I guess it's still important for some people that the distinction is clearly made.

Catholics are Christians. Christians just represent both Protestants and Catholics. Now, by definition Mormons (belief in multiple gods) and Jehovah's Witnesses (non-belief in Jesus' divinity) are not Christians.

Either way, I do relate most of the kneeling references to prayer.

kiwilad said:
Initially, before martin luther etc, there was only 1 christianity, and it was ruled from rome. When the protestants broke away the roman christians remained, and the word catholic was used, I think it means something like "one church?", to distuinguish the original religion from the new ones.
I guess it's still important for some people that the distinction is clearly made.

Catholic means universal.

kiwilad said:

True, but what about the Greek Orthodox Christians?

All catholic means is "universal" if I'm not mistaken. I guess if they want to distinguish themselves, that's fine. What I'm saying is that catholicism is not a religion, so if they say they're not Christian, it makes me go 'huh?'

FullonEdge2 said:

True, but what about the Greek Orthodox Christians?

This is veering waaaaay off topic. Anyway, The Greek Orthodox is pretty much Catholic but they do not see the pope as preeminent amongst the bishops. Every other belief is shared.

I've only read that the song is about Edge's daughter, but it's a clever and open-ended lyric. Could simply be about an older man's experience (not necessarily of physical intimacy, but in some readings it just as well could be) with an eager young person who is hungry for what life has to offer.

I think that Bono is referencing prayer when he talks about kneeling. I also know that there's alot of sexual stuff in his lyrics, but I don't think he's referencing oral sex in his "kneeling" lyrics.

Yeah, but Mysterious Ways has more overt spiritual connoations, and in my opionion, sexual ones. It makes sense with All I Want is You, which is more clearly a love song. But if Mysterious Ways is, as it's being touted by many, a love song to the holy spirit, why include lines from a song about lifting the human spirit through sex? I don't see why the "kneel" line has to be interpreted one way. I don't think it's dirty or sacreligious at all. It's Bono seeing God in all things, even the ones we tend to cringe at the mention of

Mysterious Ways is smutty. Prayings not just for giraffes. Besides Bono knows all REAL U2 fans will abbreviate Mysterious Ways to MW which is clearly a 69 alphabetical symbol. I mean, look at it -

MW .... 69 .....

They look the same. :wink:

No, I definitely agree with you, Lemon. I like the multifaceted interpretations to Mysterious Ways. It's further supported by the belly dancer on stage.

beli said:
Mysterious Ways is smutty. Prayings not just for giraffes. Besides Bono knows all REAL U2 fans will abbreviate Mysterious Ways to MW which is clearly a 69 alphabetical symbol. I mean, look at it -

MW .... 69 .....

They look the same. :wink:

:lol::up:

As has been said over and over in this thread, U2Kitten was NOT saying U2 don't talk about sex in their songs or even that they don't mix sex/spiritual metaphors, just that OOTS is not about oral sex as suggested by the person who started this thread. In fact it is nothing new at all in Christianity to mix the sexual/spiritual. Just take a look at Song of Solomon in the Old Testament- it is like the "sealed section" of the Bible! It is erotic poetry between two lovers and has been used for thousands of years as an image of the relationship between God and his people. Another example is that of Hosea who was a prophet that God told to marry a prostitue to serve as a living picture of how he felt about his people who had been unfaithful to him.

When it comes to "Kneel" in HTDAAB a very clear metaphor runs throughout the album for prayer/humility/placing one's heart before God.

Eg.
Vertigo: "Your love is teaching me how to kneel"
L&PoE: "I don’t know if I can take it /I’m not easy on my knees/Here’s my heart you can break it" just prior to these lyrics Bono is singing about the need to let go of any treasure that might take away from what should captivate the heart
And of course the whole of Yahweh conveys that thought of surrendering all to God "Take this...... etc."

Deal settled....OK?

I just came from IO where I read a thread about what drugs people had dabbled in, so you can imagine my assumption that I was high as a kite when I read some of the posts in this thread. The giraffe thing, is that like, for real? :wink:

NotAnEasyThing said:

Vertigo: "Your love is teaching me how to kneel"

I think is deliberatley unresolved at the end of the song, because things shift back and forth between the hopeful ("All Because of You") and the doubtful ("A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer"). So I think there may be some double entendre here, because that reaction could be to the girl with crimson nails OR the reminder of faith she wears. I don't think "Vertigo" should have a clear resolution at all.

LOL at this thread.

Bono; "All our songs are about God or women or both"

I agree that each song may change meanings throughout. It may start out as a tribute to Holly and morph into something else. Cripes he was writing about sex in An Cat Duhb. It amuses me that some think he has a halo around his freaking head.

I hope he kneels as often as he sings about it. HeHe.

NotAnEasyThing said:
As has been said over and over in this thread, U2Kitten was NOT saying U2 don't talk about sex in their songs or even that they don't mix sex/spiritual metaphors, just that OOTS is not about oral sex as suggested by the person who started this thread.

Dunno who this was directed towards. If it was me them, umm, my remarks were flippant.

And Kitten is my mate :up:

Back to the original question. I think double entendre's about oral sex have been around longer than either Madonna or Bono.

Wow, I'm speechless..:silent: and quite turned on :wink: "
"you're like honey on my tongue."

I'm sorry, don't kid yourself - Bono know's exactly what he's doing and saying in the mysterious distance of love and sex.
:heart:

Back
Top Bottom