who has bigger fan base...Bon Jovi or U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starr

The Fly
I thought U2 had the BIGGER fan base...but i guess i am wrong...because U2 is getting there BUTT KICKED by Bon Jovi, in the MY VH1 Awards..which selected by the FANS only !!!!

I am really baffled by this....because i think these awards are the best, cause they are from the FANS....

That is really surprising. Judging by this tour, it seems impossible that Bon Jovi could be bigger here in the States than U2. Either they are using some auto-voter to stuff the ballot box or U2 fans are just not voting enough (in that case, you all know what to do).

Internationally, it should be no contest. U2 is certainly bigger on a global level than Bon Jovi. If these awards appealed to that larger audience, I could only see the result as being a slaughter in favor of U2.

U2 has changed their sound so many times, and is infinitely more innovative than Bon Jovi, who have basically stuck with the same formula for 2 decades. But I don't need to make that case here...

AJ

One more thing...

I just looked at vh1.com and U2 are being decimated in every category. wtf?

Now, Dave Matthews is a great band and all, but Everyday was not All That. What is the best song on that disc? "I Did It"? They did nothing but jam together, which must have been fun for *them* at the time, but not much fun to listen to as a fan.

And when did Bon Jovi become the greatest band in the world? You can only ride your 80's hits for so long...

AJ

AJ,

I am so baffled by what i am seeing in the polls at the Vh1. Its killing me. I know that Dave Matthews has huge fan base so i can understand him beating U2. BUT BON JOVI come on now, that's just slap in the face. Even if your not from the states you can still sign up & vote. That's why i don't how in the world U2 is getting there Booty kicked.

I posted on every site i can think of to remind U2 fans to vote but it doesn't seem to be helping

Starr,

I applaud your efforts in bringing this up. I think it would be a travesty and a joke to see a band other than U2 take an award for best band. And to see them come in last, well that is just pure lunacy.

Everyone here on Interference should take out 3 minutes of their time to go to www.vh1.com and turn this thing around. Make like Nike and just do it.

AJ

IMO, I got better things to do than sit by my computer and vote over and over again so my favorite band can win some silly award. We know U2 has the greatest songs and best live shows but awards are foolish anyway. I mean look at the winners of Best New Artist at the Grammy's every year, how many of them do you ever hear from again? Award shows are only around for producers and networks to make money from advertisers, that's all. Don't worry about U2 not winning, I don't think they really give a damn anyway.

------------------
You give it all but I want more

Originally posted by Hawk269:
That is really surprising. Judging by this tour, it seems impossible that Bon Jovi could be bigger here in the States than U2.

Internationally, it should be no contest. U2 is certainly bigger on a global level than Bon Jovi
AJ

Actually, Bon Jovi is huge internationally. Much bigger than they are in the United States, so it is entirely likely that they are doing well if the votes are from all over the world.

(Ain't saying it's right, just saying that's how it is
icon24.gif
)

I did my part for U2
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by u2utah (edited 11-02-2001).]

trev,

I didn't say you should vote over and over again. I said take out 3 minutes of your time.

Sure, it is just an awards show, but it is the principle that U2 fans are being outvoted by fans of inferior bands. I happen to think that these awards are the best because they are voted on by the fans and not some ignorant, biased judges.

As far as international popularity, Bon Jovi is a major global act. I just can't see them being bigger than U2. For whatever it is worth, career record sales are definitely on U2's side.

AJ

Originally posted by trevster2k:
IMO, I got better things to do than sit by my computer and vote over and over again so my favorite band can win some silly award. We know U2 has the greatest songs and best live shows but awards are foolish anyway. I mean look at the winners of Best New Artist at the Grammy's every year, how many of them do you ever hear from again? Award shows are only around for producers and networks to make money from advertisers, that's all. Don't worry about U2 not winning, I don't think they really give a damn anyway.

I don't think it was these awards are silly when all the fans pick the cat., then vote for the winners, these awards our by the FANS only. I think it really cool if you win award from your fans. It shows that we care in ways. But i do you see your point iam not fan of the grammys

All those people that complained about U2 not winning at the Q Awards should really get voting, or else they will have no right to complain.

Yeah U2 has biggest fan base globally, and there's nowhere in the register place that asks you what country your from. If there is and I don't remember, what does it matter? Make up an address there's no excuse as to why you can't vote.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

OK i am BEYOND mad...DAVE MATTHEW FANS HAVE TAKING OVER...it all over there Message board...Come on GUYS they are kicking are BUTTS...

I think U2 deserves to win some these awards except BEST Video cause i voted for FATBOY SLIM ..that Chris Walken video kills...BEST BAND...BEST ALBUM....matchbox 20 is beating U2 now thats sad.

I can tell you now that for the very reason we are discussing "taking over" this voting, the awards are only loosely based on website votes.

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
I can tell you now that for the very reason we are discussing "taking over" this voting, the awards are only loosely based on website votes.

I am lost what do you mean??? There is no other way you can VOTE !!! You can only vote on the web & its only the fans...Or did i so mess what you ment

no you understood. but i'm telling you that if the result does not concur with what vh1 themselves want, they will change it

------------------
Looking for explanations? Well I don't even understand

Originally posted by Starr:
matchbox 20 is beating U2 now thats sad.

That would be inexcusable if the votes mattered, but since U2 is losing to matchbox 20, the votes are obviously flawed and therefore irrelevant. Besides, people are right that it is only an awards show. I myself didn't know it was coming up so soon because there are so bloody many of them. It seems like there's one on every 2 weeks or so! (slight exaggeration. please don't kill me for it)

no you understood. but i'm telling you that if the result does not concur with what vh1 themselves want, they will change it

Not true my good works for them...i wouldn't tell people to make a change if thought that.

Bono asked all of us if he had the job & this our way of showing him. IMHO.

If you read the rules you can vote up until they pick the awards the day of the show. i believe even as its going..thats what they did last year & i know this because my friend works for them

Where's KevM???? He's always helpful in these situations

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

Starr- This whole thing is killing me too, It's gotta be rigged. Something is WRONG!!
I talked about it at dinner with the fam, I don't get it!
We are gonna have to watch the VH1 Awards with U2 losing to EVERY category? NO!
frown.gif

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Originally posted by U2SJ:
Starr- This whole thing is killing me too, It's gotta be rigged. Something is WRONG!!
I talked about it at dinner with the fam, I don't get it!
We are gonna have to watch the VH1 Awards with U2 losing to EVERY category? NO!
frown.gif

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

I think some of the other bands and DMB in particular are a little more computer savvy and have a better organized network on the internet...I know I've heard their system for giving out concert tickets worked much better than U2's. U2 fans have had no way to launch a concerted campaign...maybe Propaganda could help out here?

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
I think some of the other bands and DMB in particular are a little more computer savvy and have a better organized network on the internet...I know I've heard their system for giving out concert tickets worked much better than U2's. U2 fans have had no way to launch a concerted campaign...maybe Propaganda could help out here?

DMB fans are computer geeks...plus DMB started out with playing colleges & the internet helped them BIG time....to get a fan following...

But we have to be BIGGER them..by numbers unless they figured out how to bypass the VH1 voting system

Zoomer said it best.

What some stupid awards that fans on the net are voting for does not indicate at all who the biggest/best band is.

Take Australian U2 fans for example. The badn are HUGE here, millions of fans, yet online, there's like 5 fans hehe

I dont think any of those results mean a thing.

Thanks for the $1.

Ck

I might go to this show guys please don't make me sit through Bon Jovi or DMB through this whole show.....

I know the Italians are very rabid U2 fans. If we could get some of their online communities involved, we might have a chance. DAVE has no support outside the USA. Then again, the number of internet users outside the USA is much lower per capita than the USA.
U2 has sold 3 million copies of ATYCLB in the USA versus only 2 million for Every Day by DAVE and 2 million for Crush by Bon Jovi.
The only way I could explain the results is, Bon Jovi is on top because somehow they mobilized fans outside the USA to help. The only reason DAVE is ahead is because they have a younger fan base. I know its VH1, but I would be curious to know the age of the people voting.
U2 has basically had the largest fan base in the world for the past 14 years, with a slight dip in the second half of the 90s. In the USA is where they have had trouble in recent years, but 2001, based on sales of albums and tickets, has U2 ahead of both Bon Jovi and Dave Matthews Band.
The real poll is the record store, Billboard charts, or Ticket Master. What people actually spend their hard earned money on. Demand for U2 tickets is triple that for Bon Jovi and albums sales nearly double that of Bon Jovi in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom