Who else thinks that U2 should release a NEW ALBUM next and NOT the next BEST OF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think about it.....

U2 is on a roll right now- the one-two puch of the first Best Of (which won some fans back after POP) and ATYCLB has now put U2 in a position they have not been in since the early 90's in terms of artistic and commercial power

Why look back now? what's the point? (except to gain some easy cash with minimum effort)

let's hear a new album and leave the next Best Of for another day/year.....

it's time for U2 to issue another MAJOR ARTISTIC STATEMENT, not a Best of Compilation....

What does everybody else think?

they are contractually obligated to another 'Best Of' and actually one more, I see your point, but it will take them at least a year of working on a new album to finish. I say give us a few new songs in October on the Best Of and in March 2003, we will have a new record, whats the difference?

Someone told me that the Best of would be next, and that it will have bonus tracks. I even heard rumors that the new songs being worked on now are nothing more than those bonus tracks and there are no plans for any new album. I hope it isn't true, I want a new album now to capitalize on the energy of Elevation like Bono first said it would be. I hope they haven't abandoned that good idea.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-03-2002).]

I think they should do Best Of next.

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

I think we've trusted the band to do the right thing for more than 20 years now. If they want to release a "Best of" album right now, then let them. There's going to be at least one new studio track on it, which will satisfy all of us until the new album comes out. What's the rush? I would rather have them spend five years in the studio putting together kick-ass material, than two years and putting out crap. Personally, I think their strategy is smart. And not only that, but when they revisit the older material, maybe they'll be influenced by that early 90's sound, and we'll get "Achtung Baby" part 2, or better, another "Zooropa". When it's ready, it's ready. Honestly, I still have about 50 Elevation shows to listen to
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by muh2o:
I think we've trusted the band to do the right thing for more than 20 years now. If they want to release a "Best of" album right now, then let them. There's going to be at least one new studio track on it, which will satisfy all of us until the new album comes out. What's the rush? I would rather have them spend five years in the studio putting together kick-ass material, than two years and putting out crap. Personally, I think their strategy is smart. And not only that, but when they revisit the older material, maybe they'll be influenced by that early 90's sound, and we'll get "Achtung Baby" part 2, or better, another "Zooropa". When it's ready, it's ready. Honestly, I still have about 50 Elevation shows to listen to
biggrin.gif

I think I've downloaded at least that many from you.
wink.gif

Here is confirmation that it will indeed happen though.

April 4, 2002

From Launch:

U2 Co-Producer Confirms Plans For Another Best-Of
Wed Apr 3, 3:17 PM ET

(4/3/03, 3 p.m. ET) -- One of U2's chief collaborators has confirmed that the band will
release a second best-of compilation this fall. Daniel Lanois, who co-produced five of the
Irish group's albums--The Unforgettable Fire (1984), The Joshua Tree (1987), Achtung
Baby (1991), Zooropa (1993), and All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)--has
reported that in a recent visit to his home in Los Angeles, U2 guitarist the Edge discussed
the anthology, which is slated to be released as a stopgap while the band continues work
on its next studio album.

"To my knowledge, there's a 'best of the '90s' that's going to come out before their next
official record," Lanois, who's being inducted into the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame at the
April 14 Juno Awards, told The Toronto Sun. "They're probably looking to pepper that with
a new track or two. I have a vested interest here. We've already done the work for this
best-of. I want as good a record as it can be."

Of the new U2 recordings, Lanois said, "They came off the road and decided to go
straight in and get some recording done. I believe they set up in the south of France and
just shacked up in an old nightclub there and knocked out a couple of weeks of recording."

Island Records, U2's label, has told its distribution offices to expect the new best-of--a
follow-up to 1998's The Best Of 1980-1990--for release this fall, preceded by a single that
will likely be a new track. The previous best-of launched a hit for the band with the single
"Sweetest Thing."

-- Gary Graff, Detroit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that releasing the Best Of album now is not a good idea. They'll have a lot of time to do it in the future. IMO They should concentrate on recording the NEW ALBUM and release it as soon as possible!

Who are we to ask for anything. Really I think you should just be looking forward to A release whatever that may be. Many bands these days aren?t around long enough to enjoy more than 1 release and for me I am just thankful they are talking and recording and enjoying. But I guess that?s just me..

Gee I am full of opinions today aren?t I.

What is there for them to concentrate on with this release? The track order?? Lanois said in the above interview that all work for this project has been done. The new track is probebly something left over from that era that was never released.

I dont think this release will hinder their current recording efforts one bit. We wont see the new album until fall of 2003 anyway even if this wasnt being released. So this will be a nice tie over IMO.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 04-04-2002).]

Originally posted by muh2o:
I would rather have them spend five years in the studio putting together kick-ass material, than two years and putting out crap.
I would rather have them spend 1 year in the studio and release the best album ever

I prefer a new album as soon as possible
but I don't mind getting a best of in the time spent waiting

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Blue Room:
What is there for them to concentrate on with this release? The track order?? Lanois said in the above interview that all work for this project has been done. The new track is probebly something left over from that era that was never released.

I dont think this release will hinder their current recording efforts one bit. We wont see the new album until fall of 2003 anyway even if this wasnt being released. So this will be a nice tie over IMO.

Thats the whole point, I think, the Best of doesnt interfere with the recording of the new album, they probably will just throw a few new ones on it, and also use it to create hype for the new release possibly in spring 2003. Then again it's probably more likely to see it in Fall 2003, knowing how long it can take the boys to get it going in the studio.

I agree about the fall 2003 release. It gives them plenty of time to properly record the new songs, get some rest, and prepare for a possible world tour in 2004.

I think there is a better chance of them touring if they release a new album in 2003. If they were to release it in 2002, they likely wouldn't do an extensive tour in support being that they just got off the road. But, like several of you mentioned. I do hope they capitalize on the energy of tthe Elevation Tour on the new material. *blah* does this make any sense?

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Exactly.

Well according to the new Rolling Stone, Adam Clayton says the new studio album could be out this fall. Remember, Mr. McGuinness said the band was supposed to tour Europe this summer. There was confirmation all over the place. But its not happening now. I think will have to wait until July or August to know if a Best of.. is for sure. I think a new album in the fall of 2002 is the best option. 3 years to wait for a new album is to long. I think 2 years is just right. Oh, it does not take 5 years to produce and outstanding album. Most classic albums were written and recorded in less than a year.

I agree with Sting2

but I see all of your points....I guess at my ripe age of 27 I'm kinda old school and think that Best of's are for bands at the end of the career- not the middle

I have never seen where Paul McGuiness officially confirmed U2 would tour. All the sources indicated they "might". U2 and Principle never said they were for sure.

There will be a new album this fall, called Best Of 1991-2000 and it will have new music.

It has taken 3 years between albums for every album that is considered U2's masterpieces (AB, JT and ATYCLB)

Granted great albums can be done in a year or less. But not classic U2 albums if history is any indication. (Sorry Zooropa fans, it is not regarded as a classic by most)

I think that U2 should do whatever the hell they feel like doing in the order they feel like doing it.
smile.gif

I really don't mind if the Best Of comes first, because to me that means that they have that much more time after that project's done in the studio to work on and craft their songs, which I'm sure they'll be doing during the Best Of project anyway. So if they release the Best Of first, they've got the creative juices flowing working on the new material for that, and that will translate right into the album.

I'm not at all worried about the next album. In fact, I'm really, really excited.
biggrin.gif

i think they should release the best of.

this can capitalize on their success and keep the band fresh in their minds. it can even buy them some extra time to work on the new album so they're not under pressure to put something out right away, like they have been in the past.

we might get a best of 1990-2000 dvd with the music videos.
but u2 should do this best of thing when they have stoped playing or something ,they can fall back on that.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

what dieman said is right on....its going to take forever for the next new album to come out so why not have this to hold us over...plus some new material will be there
smile.gif

Nope.

Best of first. No sense in competing with ATYCLB's push in sales after the Grammys with a new album.

Plus, 2003 with a new album out is very fine by me.
biggrin.gif
More than enough time to make it, as they already have so much ATYCLB leftovers, not to mention they already started working on it.

I don't understand how U2 can incorporate any new material in the Best of 1990-2000, unless the redo an old tune, but all the sources are saying there's goign to be a new song. It wouldn't make any sense to put that on it, as it wasn't written in that time period.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

*raises hand* (for new album 1st)

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

This is definately the best time for a Best of album because of the upswing in popularity after ATYCLB. "Hits" albums do the best when the buzz is on high.

Back
Top Bottom