Who else thinks that U2 should release a NEW ALBUM and NOT the next BEST OF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think about it.....

U2 is on a roll right now- the one-two puch of the first Best Of (which won some fans back after POP) and ATYCLB has now put U2 in
a position they have not been in since the early 90's in terms of artistic and commercial power

Why look back now? what's the point? (except to gain some easy cash with minimum effort)

let's hear a new album and leave the next Best Of for another day/year.....

it's time for U2 to issue another MAJOR ARTISTIC STATEMENT, not a Best of Compilation....

What does everybody else think ?

Now that I've moved this thread, I can reply properly.
biggrin.gif

I too think that U2 should proceed with a new album as opposed to a new "Best Of." However, this decision may have a lot to do with their new direction.

The last "Best Of" reminded fans of U2's 80's music. Then U2 release an album that is most reminiscent of that sound (as compared to AB, "Zooropa" and "Pop") and it succeeds.

Perhaps U2 see a change in the sound on their next album - something more radical like their 90's music. As such, to "prepare" fans for this change, U2 want to remind these fans of their 90's music. Then, when the new U2 album is released (2003? 2004?), fans will be ready for it - and this new album might also enjoy the same success as ATYCLB.

Of course, this is just speculation. At this point, we are hearing conflicting rumors even from the U2 camp. Some say a new album this year. Others say U2 are creating recordings for a second "Best Of." While I feel that U2 should capitalize on the success of ATYCLB with a new album, perhaps releasing a second "Best Of" is a better decision in terms of both marketing and future releases. Regardless, until we know exactly what U2 will release next, it may be a bit premature to speculate.

I just got the latest Rolling Stone in the mail. It has an interview with Adam Clayton who talks at length about the new album their working on, but does not know if it will be released this year or not. He did say maybe. There was no mention of a Best Of... . So there is a chance there will be a new album this year. The band has 10 fully recorded tracks left over from ATYCLB according to Adam. But he says that they need to come up with 6 new songs because the outtakes are to Popy according to him. I think will know by July what is going to happen.

For some reason I didn't get my Rolling Stone today..dammit. Hopefully it will come tomorrow.

Anyway, does it clarify what Adam meant when he said that they had 10 songs but needed six more as the outakes of Atyclb were too "popy"? Did he mean the U2 album POP or the muscial genre?

------------------
Your love was like a light bulb..hanging over my bed.

Actually, don't quote me on the above because I need to read it again. I think I might have gotten the above wrong. The word popy or pop referred to genre.

Adam was referring to "poppy" as in the genre. I think all the guys are on the same page as far as this is concerned. They are very proud of the album, but even Bono has said it lacked a cetain "dirty" quality that the 90's albums had.

As far as a new album is concerned, here are my thoughts:

I think a new album would be welcomed with open arms by the media and fans alike. I don't think there would be any backlash as far as overexposure is concerned. Backlash is usually generated by the press, and in today's barrened landscape of cotton candy pop,a new U2 album would be welcome. I think it would be the SAFE move to not put out an album, and IMO, the SAFE move is always the wrong move.

I think a good Best of 90-99 would be the correct thing to release next under the current circumstances.

U2 have amassed a great deal of momentum and the best-of2 will keep this going while the lads go away and spead 1-1.5 years making the next studio album and make sure it's a good 'un.

jules.

Originally posted by STING2:
I just got the latest Rolling Stone in the mail. It has an interview with Adam Clayton who talks at length about the new album their working on, but does not know if it will be released this year or not. He did say maybe. There was no mention of a Best Of... . So there is a chance there will be a new album this year. The band has 10 fully recorded tracks left over from ATYCLB according to Adam. But he says that they need to come up with 6 new songs because the outtakes are to Popy according to him. I think will know by July what is going to happen.

Yeah, there is a chance we?ll get our new album this year, but it?ll come along with the Best Of. I don?t mind the Best Of album, we?ll get our album!!!

Back
Top Bottom