Who else misses the POP era?? (POP appreciation thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
I do agree that without POP you would have had not ATYCLB and Elevation the way they turned out. Each album and each era has its own place and importance in time and history, and they all had a purpose.

exactly! which is why intense pop bashing shouldn't occur, same with the intense bashing of other eras.. but such is life, taste is the enemy of art..
smile.gif

what fun would it be if we all agreed anyway? ;-)

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

Originally posted by Zoocifer:
U2 seemed to be darker, alittle bit hipper, and there was more attitude in the music. It showed me that you could mix many different styles of music but still be who you are.

exactly. this is why i like pop better than atyclb. i know this isn't a comparison thread between the two, but i feel that imho, pop is everything that atyclb isn't. maybe that's why i'm not as big of a fan of the album.

i've been a fan of the band since achtung baby. i bought that and zooropa when they first came out (on tape too, ugh). but right before pop was when i became a *huge* fan of the band. when i started considering them my favourite band. to me it seems like they made pop not caring who it pissed off or alienated. on the other hand, it seems that atyclb was a cop out, to try to regain the fans and critics they'd lost with pop.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
Let's remember that Discotheque "failed" as a first single (imo)

yes, but the fly, off of achtung baby, did as well. in fact, looking at boy (if you count out of control or even a day without me), october, achtung baby, zooropa (since the only real single was stay), and pop...all of their first singles flopped.

it's a shame too because discotheque is such a great song. one of my favourites, in fact. i hope this didn't come off as attacking you, because i do indeed agree with you. discotheque did fail as a first single for pop.
biggrin.gif

------------------
the city walls are all pulled down, the dust a smoke screen all around...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
yes, but the fly, off of achtung baby, did as well. in fact, looking at boy (if you count out of control or even a day without me), october, achtung baby, zooropa (since the only real single was stay), and pop...all of their first singles flopped.

it's a shame too because discotheque is such a great song. one of my favourites, in fact. i hope this didn't come off as attacking you, because i do indeed agree with you. discotheque did fail as a first single for pop.
biggrin.gif

lol i know- i can handle healthy discussions
smile.gif
hmm.. did the fly really fail as the first single out? I was under the impression that since U2 hadn't done ANY interviews, media appearances, etc. and been out of the limelight for so long that people gobbled up the fly- and U2 went with it first figuring they could immediately challenge fans, that they would take anything given to them? I don't know too much about that though ( we need marty- doesn't he know all the facts on sales, etc?) I guess buying the single/album doesn't quantify as liking it. yeah that's interesting- I hadn't thought about that. i guess them marketing atyclb better w/ a better single to start off with paid off.

something else you said I liked:
to me it seems like they made pop not caring who it pissed off or alienated. on the other hand, it seems that atyclb was a cop out, to try to regain the fans and critics they'd lost with pop.
so what's better?? LOL! this is a great point- you have people arguing both sides.

me, I think their reasonings (as we are assuming they are) behind Pop are fine! (maybe i'm giving u2 fans too much credit to go w/ their flow and all.. i dunno) And I don't necessarily agree they were selling out w/ atyclb- but they were going out there to gain more fans, which is something I support.

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

This is all getting old.
icon25.gif
I'm still confused how something as a personal choice can get people so damn argh!

When I first started posting here it was the same.... fiasco... although, it was the pop haters who bash the people who love POP. Now its the other way around WEIRD.

I'm sick of all the generalizations:

Your stuck in the 90's...... Your stuck in the 80's

They all looked OLD and ugly during the POP Era.... They look dumb now in their 40's dressing like that....

Most people who like POP were fans in the 90's (I LOVE POP and I didn't become a fan because f it) BLAH BLAH BLAH

If you don't like POP your not a true fan....

POP is a bad album because the album sales show it....

People don't get POP.....

Poeople who like POP should understand and accept that some people don't like it, but are good fand?

Well, the same can be said, for people who hate it! Understand, and accept that a lot of people do like it... and it doesn't matter when they became a fan.

And the most annoying thing now, is we can never have a decent normal discussion on "POP" without this happening! WHY?

Why can't people who hate it stay away? I understand that way things were stated in the first post was a litle "EH" but in the future when you see "POP APPRECIATION THREAD" and you don't like it..... stay away!

I'm just annoy by it all!

tongue.gif

And now.. to appreciate POP...

I love this album, its my third fav after, OMG an 80's album (Joshua Tree) and Achtung Baby! I love the dark lyrics.... and I LOVE VELVET DRESS!
wink.gif
I love the experiementation...... I love the whole sound... I love the way they all looked... and it was a great era!
smile.gif

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
exactly! which is why intense pop bashing shouldn't occur
umm, I agree
but you are more likely to find posts here bashing people who don't think of POP as the greatest, most brilliant thing U2 could have up with then people actually bashing POP

I am a U2 fan
I really love some of the songs on POP (Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, MOFO, Last Night on Earth, Miami) but I think of it as U2's weakest album:
- because I feel its production on quite a few songs isn't good
- a few too many songs aren't that strong
- some of the lyrics seem too manuafctured (the blind leading the blonde, michael jackson ... history, etc)

because of this I get listed as a POP hater
well, I don't mind because I don't need to prove to anyone how big a fan I am
the only thing that pisses me off is that people automatically suggest that I don't like experimentation in music, just didn't get the album and don't like anything U2 has done between Joshua Tree and ATYCLB

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by SweetonU2:
Why can't people who hate it stay away? I understand that way things were stated in the first post was a litle "EH" but in the future when you see "POP APPRECIATION THREAD" and you don't like it..... stay away!

Sigh, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said this! The thread may have been named that, but if that was his intention it was contradicted by his original post, which was obviously aimed at bashing everyone who did not like POP or agree with his views.(This fact was touched on a few times earlier in the thread.) That's why so many people were bent out of shape and argued. The 'true fan' thing really hits a raw nerve. Here, this was his original post:

Originally posted by Hawkfire:
...when U2 were deliberately trying to do stuff they had NEVER done before, when they were not concerned with alienating audiences, or how many teens in the 12-18 demographic gave a crap about them.

U2 wasn't about incessant marketing or making paint-by-the-numbers FM-lite rock tunes for cheesy soundtracks in 1997. Only the "true" U2 fans were interested, and people at the concerts weren't clamoring for Sunday Bloody Sunday. It was a great time, people.

POP is a flawed, but ultimately brilliant album. It will stand the test of time and ultimately prove more lasting and more influential than ATYCLB. POP is an easy bashing target for many casual U2 fans or 80s U2 fans (is there a worse kind?) But this album and the clever stadium tour that followed will be REDEEMED. Light years ahead of their time. [edit]

Those are the passages that lit the flames. As far as the rest of your post, SweetonU2, I agree! It has become very stupid for people to state their personal opinions as fact and attack those who don't agree. Still, many do it, and some more will jump in to justify their feelings and positions,(I'm not innocent myself) but does any of it really matter? Unfortunately, as long as insults based on opinion and accusations of not being a 'true fan' continue, so will the fights.
frown.gif

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-01-2002).]

After having read through all of these responses, I think the only logical thing that can be drawn from this discussion is that, judging by the thoughts and opinions on many of this forum's regular contributors, that I am in the right.

biggrin.gif

I understand what your saying Stormy! I've had many arguments over this! And I used to respond all the time....now its just pointless. Whether it says "I HATE POP" I just don't even want to go in there! Nor I wan to go to PLEBA where there's threads asking about "POP PICTURES" it's just pointless now.

This whole POP thing has been debated OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I pretty much know how most of you feel on this subject!

It's annoying! Face it, these pop threads will probably come up in the near future. So instead of getting all fired up everytime one these threads shows up it's better to stay away, if your going to get so fired up. I'm not saying don't reply, show how you feel about it.

And for the POP Lovers, I wish they can just state why they love POP without bringing up all that other crap about why people don't get it and people not being true fans... and stuff like that!

I just want for once, in the history of inteference, to be able to discuss anything relating to POP in peace, without people getting all mad! Well, I can dream can't I?
biggrin.gif

There's something about the POP era, that makes all of use discuss it more, than any other era! Why is tha?t Hmmmmm.... never mind don't answer it!
wink.gif

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
After having read through all of these responses, I think the only logical thing that can be drawn from this discussion is that, judging by the thoughts and opinions on many of this forum's regular contributors, that I am in the right.

biggrin.gif

Eh sure why not!! Just for today your right! I mean it is April Fools Day!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I am amazed at the lethal responses my original post has drawn. While nowhere in my post does it say "you're not a true fan if you don't like POP!", quite a number of people have made this leap, which is entirely unfounded. Read my original post and my 2 follow-ups once more.

And as to the large discussion POP garners, I believe it is merited. This album is underappreciated, clearly by the general public/media at large and (to a lesser extent) by quite a few very vocal interferencers as evidenced by the responses this thread is seeing.

Nevertheless, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't expect (nor would I want) everyone to agree with my original post. But I wanted to hear those in agreement say exactly what they like about POP, and if those who don't enjoy this album as much as I do want to say why they don't, that's fine too.

But when the knives come out, I'll defend the POP era to the death. No, I don't like Playboy Mansion...and POP isn't my favorite U2 album...but when people write something to the effect of "thank God U2 dropped those stupid outfits and that discotheque garbage" then the POP lovers including myself will be there in full force.

And one refute here: one person wrote earlier suggesting that POP fans mostly consisted of people who first got into U2 with that album. While that may be true in many cases, I think that is too sweeping a generalization to make across the board. I was into U2 well before POP and love this album and era for the ATTITUDE ("this is what you get, take it or leave it") as much as the SOUND. POP rocks!

Fire away!! And to those who find this discussion boring or old, I pity you: serious debate can be both healthy and fun...

Originally posted by Hawkfire:
I am amazed at the lethal responses my original post has drawn. While nowhere in my post does it say "you're not a true fan if you don't like POP!", quite a number of people have made this leap, which is entirely unfounded. Read my original post and my 2 follow-ups once more.

I did. Sorry, but your comment that "only the TRUE fans liked it" said exactly that- you are not a true fan if you don't. Those were your real feelings, anything else was trying to cover up. But not this one, the talk of 'knives' and 'defending' is only inviting more trouble.

Fire away!! And to those who find this discussion boring or old, I pity you: serious debate can be both healthy and fun...

Then why am I so SICK and BORED?!
redface.gif
redface.gif

Why am I here? Just to say that this is nothing but an attempt to throw coals on the fire and cause more trouble. May this thread combust.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

I didn't take the time to read all the posts in this thread, only the first couple, but I gotta say...

Pop is a good album, but it doesn't hold a candle to AB or ATYCLB...and I believe that Zooropa is a better album as well. Pop is not U2's best work, and I am sure the band would tell you the same thing. It was a rushed production. I am sure they will make a "riskier" album than ATYCLB next time around, but that album is a masterpiece that they felt they needed to make. In my mind, it is absolute perfection. Of course, only my .02

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

I stated in the very beginning of this POP mess that I DIDN'T miss the POP era nor did I wish to repeat it. It was awesome the first time around, but that is that! I've been a U2 fan since the 80's, so I guess I go against the norm. I remember when I first saw the Discoteque video. I knew right there and then that there was gonna be trouble in U2ville and that's exactly what happened. And I just love trouble! I, quite frankly, couldn't give a shit if people liked POP or not! Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I was just simply frustrated at people's inability to open their minds to it all.

Oh yeah, please stop writing "IMO"! That is so fuckin' stale and redundent! We know it's your fuckin' opinion!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

in my opinion you should clean up your language
and there is nothing redundent about that

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I love Pop. Lyrically, I think it's one of U2's best. But my favourite albums are UF and Zooropa, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me....

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Back
Top Bottom