Who else is getting worried about the next album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKU2

Babyface
I am getting seriously worried about the lack of any official news or positive comments regarding the new album.

I am beginning to think this album may not even see the light of day. I hope I am wrong, but Im just getting an uneasy feeling.

We have been told for some time that the album is almost done, and work is being done on the cover / artwork, so what is the hold up. We are now hearing from sources that they have hit a snag in recording.

It may be that the band cannot agree on the songs for the album. If this is so, how strong are these songs. Indications are that the band cannot agree on whether the next tour should be stadiums or areans. All of this does not go well for the future.

In the past the band have talked positively about songs that have been written, long before any official annoucement, things have been very quiet this time round.

We also have a new producer, that has not worked with the band before. Danial Lanois went into the studio in November to listen to the songs. Maybe the band were looking for a second and trusted opinion, because they are not sure of the quality of the songs.

At the end of the day, we have waited over 3 years for this record, I can wait another 6 months, but I am beginning to fear the worst. I hope I am proved wrong, and they produce a stonking album.

elevation said:
I guess U2 aren't having their most creative period of time...Three years...or more.. and just 12 songs...wow
What makes you think they've only come up with 12 songs? About a year ago, Paul McGuinness said they had 20 songs - a year ago! Imagine how many more they have now? Previous to ATYCLB, the band said they had about 100 songs. Just because 12 is all that appears on the album, doesn't mean that's all they've worked on. Sure, any band can come up with 12 okay to half decent songs in a few months, but U2 probably want 12 classics, which is why they're taking their sweet time.

This album will blow away every other album U2 has ever put out, save The Joshua Tree. I think it's worth the wait.

Last edited:
To hear a band w/ TONS of cash has hit a "snag" in the recording process means only one thing-the stuff was bad. You can be as optimistic as you want, this news is bad. Starting over w/ a new producer usually means starting from scratch, so if Lanois is on board now, September 04 is unlikely. U2 is the greatest band ever, but their achilles heel is the time between records.

who said anything about a new producer?.........Thomas could still be in the trenches.

It's all guesses. But in November Lanois was going in for a week to listen to the album. 2 months later we hear they've hit a "snag"? Sounds possible. Which if true is scary, work w/ a producer for almost a year before realising it's not working out?

MrBrau1 said:
To hear a band w/ TONS of cash has hit a "snag" in the recording process means only one thing-the stuff was bad. You can be as optimistic as you want, this news is bad. Starting over w/ a new producer usually means starting from scratch, so if Lanois is on board now, September 04 is unlikely. U2 is the greatest band ever, but their achilles heel is the time between records.
I disagree. U2 have hit plenty of recording snags in their career, and the respective songs have not been bad at all, and in some cases they've been absolutely amazing. Just look at 'Where the Streets Have No Name' as the perfect example. Half the time to record the entire album was spent on that one song. ("Recording snags" is a phrase often used to describe not just recording problems, but the entire gamut of studio problems - be it writing, arranging, mixing, and so on....) I think it's a bit premature to think they've changed producers based on that alleged comment, even if they have hit "recording snags".

MrBrau1 said:
It's all guesses. But in November Lanois was going in for a week to listen to the album. 2 months later we hear they've hit a "snag"? Sounds possible. Which if true is scary, work w/ a producer for almost a year before realising it's not working out?
Again, why jump to such heavy conclusions? Remember, the band have had nothing but positive things to say about the material. Edge has said the band are writing the strongest songs of their career, and Bono can't say enough good things, whether by saying, "they're big tunes with big melodies," or "it's punk rock made on Venus," or, my personal favourite (to paraphrase): "We are now finally making the music we've always wanted to make. We are now closest to making the music that's in our heads." This doesn't sound like a band in heavy doubt to me. Therefore I see no reason for us to be.

Last edited:
Why not jump to conclusions? It's just speculation. And in the end, this stuff really doesn't matter. How can a snag in the studio be good? I'm sure some songs are labor intensive, but finding positive in a year delay of an album that was "cooked" back in December is overly optimistic. Sure, they could rerecord everything and it probably will be great.
And as for the soundbites the band keep dropping, actions speak louder than words.
Oh, and I'm a huge U2 fan, who's allowed to have a bad opinion of their recording habits(ie-the time it takes for them to make records)

When they said they had "over a hundred songs" written for ATYCLB, that was without a doubt just way of saying they felt like they wrote alot of songs.

thats like U2 writing their whole recorded history over again.

so, if there were 100 songs written, there should be no problem releasing 5 albums worth of material tommorrow.

JOFO said:
When they said they had "over a hundred songs" written for ATYCLB, that was without a doubt just way of saying they felt like they wrote alot of songs.

thats like U2 writing their whole recorded history over again.

so, if there were 100 songs written, there should be no problem releasing 5 albums worth of material tommorrow.
Again, I disagree. If for the sake of argument they had a 100 songs, there would be a BIG problem releasing 5 albums of those same songs. The reason most of the songs never made it to the album is because they were not good enough. Look at how many songs U2 had from the Achtung Baby outtakes, many of which never saw the light of day...for good reason. And those were just the ones which were leaked onto tapes.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Why not jump to conclusions? It's just speculation. And in the end, this stuff really doesn't matter. How can a snag in the studio be good? I'm sure some songs are labor intensive, but finding positive in a year delay of an album that was "cooked" back in December is overly optimistic. Sure, they could rerecord everything and it probably will be great.
And as for the soundbites the band keep dropping, actions speak louder than words.
Oh, and I'm a huge U2 fan, who's allowed to have a bad opinion of their recording habits(ie-the time it takes for them to make records)
Fair enough. I just don't see the need to jump to conclusions since a) it isn't based on anything concrete and flies in the face of much of what we know past and present, and b) doesn't do us any good but get worried over something which quite likely isn't the case anyway. I suppose any of these really bad things might have happened, but an astroid could topple their studio tomorrow morning anyway, so why worry?

Michael Griffiths said:

Again, I disagree. If for the sake of argument they had a 100 songs, there would be a BIG problem releasing 5 albums of those same songs. The reason most of the songs never made it to the album is because they were not good enough. Look at how many songs U2 had from the Achtung Baby outtakes, many of which never saw the light of day...for good reason. And those were just the ones which were leaked onto tapes.

i have to agree with that. also i have a friend who's in a band and i know sometimes when they think they have stuff ready they'll have "final" listen and go "something doesn't sound right" and play around with a song some more, which could be what's happened

Michael Griffiths said:

the AB outakes had about 12 different "songs" on them; the rest were repeats or alternate takes.

JOFO said:

the AB outakes had about 12 different "songs" on them; the rest were repeats or alternate takes.
As I said, those were just the ones which were leaked onto tapes. When U2 says they have 100 songs or 20 songs, or what have you, they don't usually mean completed songs. They mean anything from skeletons to unfinished demos. This includes fragments, parts, choruses, verses, and so on. It could mean many things. Many of the completed demos become B-side material. And you wouldn't want those on albums, which is my point.

Last edited:
What's with people insisting on being really dreary, depressing pessimists? It's bloody ANNOYING.

We all are.

It's not necessarily a bad thing for internal frictions in the band, if there are any (see AB), but it's not necessarily a good thing for an album being called finished several times to be delayed at least till September. I don't think Bono has any planned Africa trips after the spring, I don't think it's the reason - they have problems with the material IMO.

Is there any injuries to the guys? does anybody know? Cause hey somthin could have happend to one of them.
I mean i wouldnt want anything to happen, especially to the hottness edge, but never know.
But i hope its out in May, before my birthday cuz then it would be the greatest birthday present in the world!

I'm not sure if this will be album related but U2Star.com has the following post...who knows

Exclusive! U2 can't you leave behind! Tomorrow monday 26 january you'll see something amazing about your favourite band on this site! What's that? A scoop on the new album? An unbelievable broadcast? Who knowS? I'm not gonna tell you! Muahahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom