Who else here thinks When I Look at the World is a really great song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I think this is a really great song with really great lyrics. Bono's vocals leave a little to be desired, but I still think it's great! It's a good song to fall asleep to. Very relaxing IMO.

I think it's a great, underated song. What do you think?

this song jumped out at me the first time i listened to 'all that you can't leave behind' too.

i especially love the live version, played to the guitar from 'bad'. great stuff.

:up:

The ending is amazing, but I just feel the song as a whole is too pedestrian..it seems like it just needed *something* to make it into a great song.

shart1780 said:
I think this is a really great song with really great lyrics. Bono's vocals leave a little to be desired, but I still think it's great! It's a good song to fall asleep to. Very relaxing IMO.

I think it's a great, underated song. What do you think?

One of the best songs on ATYCLB and Bono's vocals are great in this one. He has a lot of emotion especially in the chorus "Well, I try to be like you, try to feel it like you do" he sings that great. This song is better than Beautiful Day, Elevation & Stuck In A Moment. I reckon its probably one of my most played tracks from ATYCLB.

Yeah, I especially like "Tell me tell me, what do you see? Tell me tell me, what's wrong with me?". Probably my favorite part of the song.

I think this song is the best on the album, and I lament that they won't play it live. It's the heaviest song of the set, and it's catchy and beautiful and actually speaks to feelings I hold. I can relate to it. And, I like the production. It's the only song on the album that I can say that about. I thought it was interesting that they took all the guitar parts that Edge came up with for the song, and layered them, sometimes exchanging one for the other from verse to verse. It seems as though they found a use for everytng he came up with. And, I've always been a fan of Daniel Lanois's vocals, so it was great to hear him at the end of the song, singing the best two lines on ATYCLB. I find I like U2 songs best when they're ominous and haunting, and I think that describes the ending of that song. I actually think it should have been the second to last track as originally planned, rather than New York, which is pretty lightweight for that position.

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:

All this nonsense about it nearly being a 'great' song, for me the laid back atmosphere of it suits it better, had they tried to make it a U2 'epic' I think this song for me would lose it's appeal.

I agree, I think one of the beauties of the song is that it feels so laid back and like they're not trying too hard. Could have easily been overdone, luckily it wasn't. :|

And there's so much emotion in his voice, like especially at this part IMO.

So I try to be like you
Try to feel it like you do
But without you it's no use

Gets me every time... :sad:

I don't think it would convert well to a full live setting, due to the heavy production of the album version. I suspect the band knows this, and as a result never played it except for snippets.

Could work as an acoustic however, though that time has likely passed.

Palace_Hero said:
I don't think it would convert well to a full live setting, due to the heavy production of the album version. I suspect the band knows this, and as a result never played it except for snippets.

Could work as an acoustic however, though that time has likely passed.

I disagree with the notion that it's the production that kept it from translating live. I think they could pull that part of it off if they wanted to. The guitar tracks were written one on top of the other, but in the finished track, they are all separated - Edge would just have to step on a pedal to switch from one patch to the other, which he does all the time in concert. It's a guess, but I think they probably thought it was too downbeat for a full live performance. Elevation was about making everybody feel good. I think this song stands out as the darkest of the album, the most doubtful.

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:
Another thing I like about WILATW, it strikes me as more of a natural progression from Pop than most of the rest of the album. It sounds like a more refined, mature version of a possible Pop track, another opinion I hold for BD also.

I think it would go really well alongside Please actually.

neutral said:
Were there were other shows besides Kansas City where snippets were played, anyone know? :hmm:

Nope.

Just Kansas City.

The whole reason my friends and I tried to get it played (beside the fact that it's a beautiful song) was that it was so close to the end of the tour and that was the only song they didn't play at their shows. (You can count Grace as it was played as the band left the building).

So my friends and I went for it and the outcome was amazing! I can still feel the goosebumps I got when I heard Bono sing. And how he changed the lyric to "people sign all kinds of things" because people from the heart had signed the lyric sheet that we gave to security to give to the band. Classic!

Last edited:
:up: one of the best songs on the album for me. Kite is my #1 from ATYCLB but it would probebly be my 2nd favorite on the album. Whats amazing to me is that alot of fans seem to hate it! :shrug:

its extraordinary!!
Brilliant tune

I love ATYCLB.
Grace is fantastic also

Its a soul record with some rock on it
U2 went soul on it
Noticed... ah?

Its has nothing to do with "back to roots" or safe kind of songs
As Bono said once "Its Titanium Soul"

I wanna say it: ATYCLB IS A MASTERPIECE

it is a beautiful song.......Bono sounds great.....and the edge comes up with a fantastic solo.........

Back
Top Bottom