Who else here doesn't have a DVD-player

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vorsprung

War Child
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

I was born a free man, I will die a free man

I don't either but decided this morning that I will buy one this weekend.

~ME THREE

I don't!! But I do get to see the Boston Show at the IMAX tomorrow thanks to a very kind soul!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

I don't...I don't think that Bebe does either.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I'm way too poor.
frown.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

I'm waiting for it to be released on BETA.

My fingers are crossed!

Angel: IMAX?? I love Imax Theatres. Where is it playing on IMAX?

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I don?t, but I neither care. If our dear megalomiacs are too stupid to ignore other media, I?ll ignore their products too.
Who cares of a dvd player? I?ll give the money to Amnesty, it?s needed a little more there.

Originally posted by tackleberry:

Angel: IMAX?? I love Imax Theatres. Where is it playing on IMAX?

In my little Victoria town! Yahoooooo!! Apparently it's being premiered (one night only) across the country in selected IMAX and Famous Player Theatre's. The country being Canada, so I dunno about the US. I am just happy that someone was soooo nice to think of me and get me a ticket because I don't think you can buy them!

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by chirpie:

I really am surprised people are so passionate about sticking to VHS... that's like wanting cassettes over CDs...

My family was actually going to buy a new VCR cause ours is crappy. Reasons:

1) You can record television shows/movies/anything on VHS. Can you do this on DVD?
2) DVDs are way more expensive
3) I personally don't need all those special features, like the making of the movie, and the special deleted scenes. I just want to see the film. Period.
4) Everything, all we've taped/bought over the past 20 years is on VHS. Why would I buy a DVD player and lose all our Diney films, movies, old Tennis matches? (Pat Cash and Wimbeldon, yeah!)

And then again, my dad says he won't pay for a DVD player. Boo-ya

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 11-28-2001).]

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars:
I don?t, but I neither care. If our dear megalomiacs are too stupid to ignore other media, I?ll ignore their products too.
Who cares of a dvd player? I?ll give the money to Amnesty, it?s needed a little more there.

Give me a fucking break...

Should they have released the Concert as an 8mm silent film. What about that media?

------------------
Not CK

From what I understand the VHS version will be available on Dec. 4th. It won't have the special footage tho....

Good Points too, Ryan.
Only that 15 $ is too expensive, still.
And when DVD recorders are finally so cheap
that everyone affords them, rumors will spread about the totally new VDD, the Virtual Digital Disc. Anything you imagine appears on this disc, imagine that!
Prices will be around 8k for a start. DVD will be old, crappy stuff ;-)
Btw, anyone heard of the new copyright protected cd?s? So funny... the Industry digging another grave for itself...
sorry I?m offline for a while.

I would buy one SPECIFICALLY to watch the U2 DVD, but being laid off and all, I have to watch my $$$, especially after spending it all on 3 U2 shows last week....

Hmmm...but Christmas IS coming....
wink.gif

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars:
Good Points too, Ryan.
Only that 15 $ is too expensive, still.
And when DVD recorders are finally so cheap
that everyone affords them, rumors will spread about the totally new VDD, the Virtual Digital Disc. Anything you imagine appears on this disc, imagine that!
Prices will be around 8k for a start. DVD will be old, crappy stuff ;-)
Btw, anyone heard of the new copyright protected cd?s? So funny... the Industry digging another grave for itself...
sorry I?m offline for a while.

I'll admit there'll always be something on the horizon, (HD DVD will be the most likely successor since it has the ability to be backwards compatible...) but right now, DVD has the fastest adoption rate of any new format in the history of the A/V business. Waaay faster than VHS, CD, casette, LP, and well, I guess we'll not pick on 8 track...

I guess right now I'm happy there's format alternative that caters to my needs as a home theatre buff. Beats the heck out of the days of Lazerdisc...

So if it's true that the concert is making it's way to VHS, then I guess we should all be happy and sort of leave it at that... (or at least to avoid arguing anyway. ^_^ )

Also if you want to build your own "home theatre", DVD is a must. VHS starts to look crummy on anything larger than a 27" TV, not to mention the fact that the DVD audio track is far more versatile. (DD 5.1, DTS etc.)

DVD's are great. Plus, yes, they are going down. I have seen DVDs for as low as 9.99.
Also the EXTRA FEATURES ARE GREAT. It just makes it seem like you are getting your moneys worth. I like when old movies are released and they come with great behind the scene info, the original motion picture trailors and all kinds of things.

DVD players are also going down in price as well. If you go DVD you wont go back. I honestly hate having to fastforward through a VHS tape to find something I wanted to see. I also have grown to hate the quality of VHS tapes now.

Oh yeah it's also nice not having to rewind a DVD I rented from Blockbuster
tongue.gif

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

That would be nice if they had released a 16mm or 8mm silent film because then we could get out our movie projector and set up the screen we haven't touched for 15 years. There was an article in the paper today about Easter Eggs in DVDs. Has anybody found an Easter Egg in U2's new DVD yet?

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
My family was actually going to buy a new VCR cause ours is crappy. Reasons:

1) You can record television shows/movies/anything on VHS. Can you do this on DVD?

Actually, yes. Philips launched their DVD-recorder/player a little while ago for about $1600,-.

But I don't really need that DVD-player.....Even if they won't release the show on VHS, since Dutch broadcaster VPRO will broadcast the entire Boston show december 26th, and since it's a public broadcaster, they're won't be any commercial breaks too....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

I was born a free man, I will die a free man

Back
Top Bottom