Who else has taken a break from it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
I like listening to the Bomb. I don't really skip the tracks when I do listen to it (okay, except maybe Vertigo & ABOY sometimes). But you gotta admit that it's a re-hash of their classic sound for the most part. I agree with rjbonovox there.

And the best moments off the records he listed were "rehash", those moments where U2 cut through their expirements, and sounded like, U2(what a terrible thing): Stay, Zooropa, Gone, One, Acrobat, Pride, Streets etc..

I'm listening to this album more than I thought I would - not that I'm playing it every single day, but it keeps hopping into my player - I wonder.
Still don't like MD and COBL, still like Pop and AB better, but I do like the thing.

I got off it for a couple of weeks a month or so ago, because a local radio station was having a contest to win a ticket for Vertigo Tour opening at San Diego. When I heard about it (beginning of March) I was ABSOLUTELY certain that I was going to win that trip BUT sadly I could not even enter the blasted thing because you had to have a valid US visa by March 21st which I couldn't even dream to get. I was so pissed off that I didn´t want to HEAR anything about the tour or the album. It probably sounds stupid but I have been a fan for 22 years now and I have never been able to see the band live. They don't include this part of the world in their tours very often and this time it seems it's not going to be an exception. :sad:

ultraviolet7 said:
I'm listening to this album more than I thought I would - not that I'm playing it every single day, but it keeps hopping into my player - I wonder.
Still don't like MD and COBL, still like Pop and AB better, but I do like the thing.

I got off it for a couple of weeks a month or so ago, because a local radio station was having a contest to win a ticket for Vertigo Tour opening at San Diego. When I heard about it (beginning of March) I was ABSOLUTELY certain that I was going to win that trip BUT sadly I could not even enter the blasted thing because you had to have a valid US visa by March 21st which I couldn't even dream to get. I was so pissed off that I didn´t want to HEAR anything about the tour or the album. It probably sounds stupid but I have been a fan for 22 years now and I have never been able to see the band live. They don't include this part of the world in their tours very often and this time it seems it's not going to be an exception. :sad:

what part of the world are you from?

I stopped listening to HTDAAB about 2 weeks before the San Diego show, and did not listen again until last week. I still like the album a lot, like some songs more than before now (COBL, LAPOE), others less (ABOY), but I will always like this album, regardless of how it does or does not stack up to other U2 albums.

I, too, broke Pop out the other day. I was never a basher, but, re-listening to it gave me some new appreciation for it. Hearing a Live version of "Please" inspired me. It aint ever gonna top AB or JT for me, but, I think it's sad how it gets dismissed, it's good stuff!! Methinks. :)

stopped listening to it really by December...not the album I was hoping for. 'Vertigo' still kicks ass, but when I first listened to the album start to finish [rushed home, put it on the cd player, turned off the lights and sat down to listen] I just felt myself get more and more disappointed as it went on.

City of Blinding Lights, Original of the Species and Yahweh SAVED THAT ALBUM for ME.

Catman said:
You don't like ABOY?! You must not be a true U2 fan :p ;)

Stupid song.
No it's alright.

Yeah I'm on a break. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a much better album.

I listen to it at least once a day and songs here and there are added to my playlist (U2, Coldplay, Kravitz mostly) when I'm chilling at home in the evening, OOTS is always included though.

The reason is you have discovered that U2 were making music that was a bit different then. Unlike now and just rehashing old song ideas mainly from the 80's.

That comment is such blatant snobbery!!!

The 2 latest albums are fresh, vibrant and some of U2's best ever work - if they sound similar to the U2 of another era does that mean they are rehashing? Thats bullshit......

U2 are a band that will never find what they are looking for musically - they continue to evolve and strive for originality and creativity. Some bands never change (read: Offspring) but at least U2 have the balls to try new things and they remain a creative influence for many new bands (sorry i got off the point a bit!)

Had my rant :mad:

If you shout... said:
I listen to the occasional song every now and then...but my desire to listen to the "ALBUM" was gone by December of last year. Some great songs, but I just don't wanna' sit through what I consider a good deal of tripe, especially later on in the sequencing.

The later songs on the album are what make it so special. AMAW, OOTS, OSC, & Yahweh are all brilliant. I have been listening to it pretty consistently since it came out.

Back
Top Bottom