Who are the 'REAL' U2 fans?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
What are the nerdiest/funniest/most extreme things you've done for something associated with U2?? Except the time spent in GA lines!

For example: I purchased my first DVD player only because the Elevation Tour DVD was being released...

P.S. I know the women will have some good ones!!!

Shazaam! :wink:

Last edited:
with 2 hours notice, got in a 15 passenger van with 14 complete strangers and drove 12 hours all night to NYC to see them during Elevation even though I'd just seen them 2 weeks before....saw the show and got right back in the van and drove back...

:sexywink:

I don't even know where to start.

The first incident that has come to mind: A band was playing at my school's chapel service and I wasn't really interested. Then the lead singer made a little speech and mentioned Bono. I jumped up and screamed "YEAH!" and pretty much made a fool of myself in front of the whole school.

Axver said:
I don't even know where to start.

The first incident that has come to mind: A band was playing at my school's chapel service and I wasn't really interested. Then the lead singer made a little speech and mentioned Bono. I jumped up and screamed "YEAH!" and pretty much made a fool of myself in front of the whole school.

LOL, aw :hug: :).

I was doing a book report for my World Literature class senior year, and one of the things I had to answer in my book report was the question of what contemporary person I would talk to about the book I was reading and what they'd have to say about it and stuff like that. I wanted to choose Bono as the contemporary person, so what book did I choose? One of Irish poems (and appropriately enough, there was a poem in there about Dublin).

I've taped literally 30 seconds of something off of TV because U2 was mentioned/shown in that little clip.

Whenever my dad's playing music off our computer, I always request something from U2, even though I can hear any of those songs on CD anytime I want to, and I'll get all excited whenever I hear a U2 song on the radio that I don't often hear, even though, again, I can listen to that lesser-played song on CD anytime I want to.

When Bono was doing his Heart of America tour, I asked this one teacher who likes to take kids on trips to things that are of interest to them if she would like to take a trip to see him when he swung through Iowa. She actually said she'd consider it, and told me to keep an eye out should any tickets to the shows become available (but alas, we never managed to get any tickets :(. But just the fact that she was considering it was cool enough for me).

Back in 2003, I'd been in the library during study hall reading magazines, and came across the Christianity Today one with an article on Bono in it, and I asked the teacher if I could have that one when it wasn't needed for school purposes anymore. She told me that they keep magazines for up to 5 years after they're brought into the school so kids can use them, but after the 5 year period is up, you're free to take them home...and when that 5 year time period is up, I'm intending on paying a visit to that high school...

There's some I can think of right now.

Angela

Lets see.....before the days of video sharing on the internet..when the connections were too slow....I would

- Stay up till all hours of the night to record U2 videos and interview clips even when I had school the next day.

- Cancel out on doing something else if I know U2 is going to be on TV that day...because they do more for me then any friend ive ever had.

- Make sure that when a new album comes out that I am there right at opening so I can tell the people about all the new U2 news and events because I find that most of them are about 6 months behind

- Make U2 video tapes and CDs for anybody that wanted to give them a try

Overall I probably have about 15-20 hours of U2 stuff from various tv performances over the years on video tape that I am saving for the rainy day that U2 retire and I plan to watch it all while i mourn that day lol...

I also bought my first DVD player because Boston was coming out on DVD I just needed to have it....

Yahweh said:
- Stay up till all hours of the night to record U2 videos and interview clips

:yes:...same here. I was even considering being late for school one morning so I could catch U2 on one of those morning shows (my mom wouldn't let me, though-she said, "Ang, you're taping this, so you can watch it when you get home.").

Originally posted by Yahweh
- Cancel out on doing something else if I know U2 is going to be on TV that day

Ditto.

- Make U2 video tapes and CDs for anybody that wanted to give them a try

Haven't done that, but something similar would be that anytime anyone's asked for songs to download, I've always suggested some U2 songs for them to download.

Overall I probably have about 15-20 hours of U2 stuff from various tv performances over the years on video tape that I am saving for the rainy day that U2 retire and I plan to watch it all while i mourn that day lol...

I have quite a number of stuff on tapes, too-chances are I'll probably be doing the same thing you will :p. And it's there so any future generations of my family can watch it and see for themselves just how great these guys are :D.

I hope, should I ever get married, that my husband will be cool with my, uh, obsession, that he won't look at all my tapes of stuff and just give me this look: :eyebrow: and think I'm crazy...LOL.

Angela

When I was at school, every project I did was on or about U2. I also tried to get the school to play U2 over the P.A during recess.

hehe...The things we do for U2:wink:

I watched Saturday Night Live a few months ago to see U2's performance.

Saturday Night Fucking Live.

They say brain cells don't grow back after they've died.

lauren430 said:
with 2 hours notice, got in a 15 passenger van with 14 complete strangers and drove 12 hours all night to NYC to see them during Elevation even though I'd just seen them 2 weeks before....saw the show and got right back in the van and drove back...

:sexywink:

And how was it Lauren430? :)
I'm planning to do exactly the same thing during Vertigo Tour, but with 49 complete strangers :lol:

Hehe time to date myself...bought my first CD player so I could hear UABRS & JT on CD. Also bought a new dvd player that could play PAL dvd's so I could watch U2 boot dvd's. A friend of mine worked in a movie theatre when I was in high school, and the 2 of us talked his boss into letting us watch rattle & hum the night before it came out...then we cut school the next day to catch it again, twice. Hmm...bought every album since UF the day it came out.

I'm waiting for a "U2 tattoo" post...surely someone in here has a U2 tattoo :)

Back in spring 1992, in the (dark) days before the Internet, when I was first building my U2 collection, I was searching desperately for A Celebration. Everywhere I went, I dragged my companion into every record store I could find, and went straight to the import bin, hoping against hope I would find the single. Finally in utter desperation I called a college radio station whose signal only came in on a clear night. Without any real hope, I asked if they had the song. The DJ not only said she did, she said she would be delighted to play it. I distinctly remember dropping to my knees and begging her to announce it first, so I could tape it off the radio, and she promised she would.

And thus I finally got to listen to A Celebration. :)

*k_i_t_e_86* said:
And how was it Lauren430? :)
I'm planning to do exactly the same thing during Vertigo Tour, but with 49 complete strangers :lol:

It was amazing and worth it of course!!! And it gives you an awesome story to tell!!!! You'll have so much fun!!! :hyper:

CTU2fan, I have the heart in a suitcase tattoo from All That You Can't Leave Behind :wink:

miss becky said:
Back in spring 1992, in the (dark) days before the Internet, when I was first building my U2 collection, I was searching desperately for A Celebration. Everywhere I went, I dragged my companion into every record store I could find, and went straight to the import bin, hoping against hope I would find the single. Finally in utter desperation I called a college radio station whose signal only came in on a clear night. Without any real hope, I asked if they had the song. The DJ not only said she did, she said she would be delighted to play it. I distinctly remember dropping to my knees and begging her to announce it first, so I could tape it off the radio, and she promised she would.

And thus I finally got to listen to A Celebration. :)

Ah..life before Ebay. What did we do?

cmb737 said:

Ah..life before Ebay. What did we do?

In a weird way I sort of miss it. It was always fun going into a new record store. You never knew what you were going to find. :)

I flew to Las Vegas with two people I met on Wire. I had only met them once before to go buy Pop at a midnight selling, and then I got on a plane with them and shared a hotel with them in Vegas. I was 22 at the time, and never told my mom I was going to Vegas with strangers. As a mother now, I'm not sure how'd I take that kind of news from my kids!!

I drove from from Fort Nelson BC to Salt Lake City Utah for an Elevation concert by myself. I left Wednesday afternoon around 1pm and arrived in SLC Thursday night around 1030pm, during which I took a 3 hour nap at a friend's apartment. Friday morning I went and stood in GA line at 7am and waited to meet murlio who was selling me my GA ticket.

The next day I turned around and headed back home. N e v e r a g a i n! Too exhausting.:wink:

I met cmb737 in line too but he wasn't my type.:wink:

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
I met cmb737 in line too but he wasn't my type.:wink:

We had dinner together after the show though, so it wasn't a complete loss. Trevster...they have this new invention, big wings, loud as hell...

Last edited:
:lmao: Yeah, but airfare up here in the far north is expensive but it has gotten better since then so I am going to try out those fandangled flying machines next time.:wink:

lauren430 said:

It was amazing and worth it of course!!! And it gives you an awesome story to tell!!!! You'll have so much fun!!! :hyper:

I hope so!! Was hesitating a bit but, well... that will be a kind of challenge and a great memory for sure! :yes:

Arrived at the GA lineup at 9AM for ET Calgary II, stayed until 1/2 hr before my final exam on International Relations. My friend (who was seeing with the show with me) subed-in while I took the exam and came back.

It's not that hardcore but a little nerveracking.

I pretended I was sick just so that I could skip school and see Bono on the Oprah Winfrey show. :reject:

GibsonGirl said:
I pretended I was sick just so that I could skip school and see Bono on the Oprah Winfrey show. :reject:

You're not alone on that one. Not for Oprah, but I called in sick to work the day HTDAAB came out, and again for the pre-sale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom