Who actually listens to the the B-Sides CD???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
some songs on the bsides are good, like"your blue room" "north and south of the river" and hey eve nthe other version of "electrical storm". but it is so lost when i am forced to listen to techno crap in order to hear th songs i want to hear. i only heard Disc 2 right after i bought and it hasnt left the cd case since...what a waste.

I can do without some of the remixes, but I love "Summer Rain," "Lady With the Spinning Head," "Salome," "North and South of the River" and the B-sides version of "Electrical Storm" is my favorite! Edge truly kicks ass on that track!!!

I think it's great that the band put some electronic music on the second b-sides cd. In my opinion they were attempting to introduce their fans to some music that they normally dont listen to.

I prefer the Electrical Storm version on b sides to the one on the regular cd. I don't know why they didn't release that one as the single. It's better. I love Summer Rain too. But other than that, I agree with browneyedboy and a-mole. The techno stuff is not good to put it kindly. I only play those 2 songs and put it away.

80's b-sides: :love:

90's b-sides: Good when I'm looking for something different. I like playing Salome when I'm driving home from work.
I also discovered that if I start the CD just after I get on the highway, and drive an average of 20 miles an hour over the speed limit, Your Blue Room starts play right as I start going up the bridge onto the island I work on.
I guess what I'm saying is that I listen to it fairly often, but I generally skip Happiness Is a Warm Gun and some of the more monotonous mixes.

martha said:
The first B-sides cd was actually real B-sides. The second one was filler.

Agreed. Although I like North and South, the other version of ES (I prefer this version to the single), Summer Rain, and Lady With the Spinning Head, I hate all of the remixes.

Also, I find it interesting that the band did not feel the need to redo any of the songs on the Best of 1980-1990 - singles or B-sides.

I listen to the 80s B-Sides disc fairly regularly. It's great.

I never listen to either Best Of or the 90s B-Sides disc. I think they were all put together rather poorly. I listen to a custom mix of their 90s B-sides I made occasionally.

senrab said:
Also, I find it interesting that the band did not feel the need to redo any of the songs on the Best of 1980-1990 - singles or B-sides.
:yes: i find it interesting too that they didn't feel the need to redo anything until 1998. i wonder what made them want to start remaking stuff.

well they always said they were rushed into finishing Pop and there were a few songs they didn't really get to finish. so the best of was a good opportunity to finish them and get something new out and not just the same old songs.

I really like B-sides 80-90. That has some of my favorite U2 songs.

As for the 90-00, I'm not so sure. I'm disappointed that some singles that I've never heard before weren't on it, and I don't understand why "Lemon" and IGWSHA is on the B-sides as remixes, but not on the actual Best Of tracklisting. If its good enough to be a B-side, and since it was a released single, why can't they be on the first CD? The lyrics are still the same, they still have the same meaning. Oh, I guess the band prefered the remix versions than the originals. :shrug: I don't know, they were fine as they were.

Anyway, I like some of the remixes (I'm liking the "Numb" remix a lot lately), and I'm glad to hear some of the B-side singles, like "Your Blue Room", "Summer Rain", "Lady with the Spinning Head", and "North and South of the River". I just wish I got a chance to hear some other B-side songs, like "Always".

And I agree that the "Electrical Storm" B-side version is a lot better than the released one.

Perle

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes: i find it interesting too that they didn't feel the need to redo anything until 1998. i wonder what made them want to start remaking stuff.

Oh man, lol I'm such an idiot. Thank you for reminding me (by saying 1998) that they did in fact redo a B-Side, ST.

Senrab: Duhhhhh :der:

I like the 90-00 B-sides, sometimes even more than the Best Of. The first 6 songs are great, and that version of Electrical Storm is much better too. I like the mixes of Lemon and Discoteque ... but the rest leaves a bit to be desired. It's not altogether bad - it's just different, and sometimes that can be a good thing.

if techno is crap, then you are less than nothing.

i find their b-sides way more interesting than their best of the a-sides. why? simple. im sick to death of all their "hits."

the songs that arent shoved down my throat on the radio are actually quite good, and i enjoy them a great deal.

i remember the original version of sweetest thing being played on KROQ. that was back in 1987. when it was released a few years ago as a "new" U2 song, it was a joke to me. over the years, most of those songs i could only hear off of old crappy recordings i had from radio.

to have all of the b sides compiled on one CD was like a gift.

The B sides are totally nessisary. Actually I think I listen to the B sides more often then the actual "best of's." And techno is fun as fun can be, especially when U2 is involved. Just cuz you don't like it doesn't make it crap. I mean to say it again -Dirty Day Junk Day remix??? SO FUCKIN GOOD!!!!!

WAKE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't like listen 90-00 remixes (with which another one b-side strained), in opposition to that, I love the 80-90 b-sides

:yes:

The 80-90 B-sides kick arse. I LOVE the songs on there!

The 90-00 B-sides...I don't mind most of them. "Lady With The Spinning Head" is good (I can't say how it compares to the original, 'cause I've never heard the original), and I like "Summer Rain", "North and South of the River", "Salome" (again, never heard the original of this song, either), and "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" is interesting. And I particularly like the "Numb" mix on the B-sides. It's the closest we'll ever get to hearing U2 do rap...it's funky. "Your Blue Room" isn't bad, either.

And I agree with you guys about the B-side version of "Electrical Storm"-the guitar at the beginning is just plain cool.

The remix of "If God Will Send His Angels"...I still don't know about this one. It bothered me a little at first to hear a slower, quiet song turned into a dance tune (I usually do not like it when that is done to a song)...but the music's kinda addictive, so it's growing on me a little bit-it's just taking quite some time to get used to it. I'm pleased, however, that they didn't alter Bono's voice at all and just left him singing the song the way he always does.

The other remixes...they're okay. I can take them or leave them. I understand why some songs were remixed...U2 was experimenting with a lot of things during this time period, so it makes sense that they'd experiment with their songs some. And some of the remixes are cool...others are just okay.

The only big complaint I have with the "1990-2000" CD in general is the lyric change in "Mysterious Ways" on the first side. It's hard to get used to a different lyric!

Angela

I agree with Martha, the 80's one is a true b sides but the 90's one is filler. No more like somebody cleaning out their junky closet and selling the stuff at a yard sale. But the ES version does kick way more butt than the single one. That alone makes the double cd set worth buying.

I listen to both B-side collections more than the hits CDs, although the new treatments of the *POP* songs have caused me to listen to the 90s hits more than usual, even if I like some of the originals better.

Back
Top Bottom