Who actually listens to the the B-Sides CD???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HeartlandGirl said:
I listen to both B-side collections more than the hits CDs, although the new treatments of the *POP* songs have caused me to listen to the 90s hits more than usual, even if I like some of the originals better.

:yes:.

I like the remixes from Pop as much as the originals-I've discovered I love the new mixes of "Gone" and "Staring At The Sun" (and I'm glad they kept the siren guitars at the beginning and the end of the song "Gone" in the new mix).

Angela

notiti said:
The B sides are totally nessisary. Actually I think I listen to the B sides more often then the actual "best of's." And techno is fun as fun can be, especially when U2 is involved. Just cuz you don't like it doesn't make it crap.

This is an excellent point. As far as remixes go, these are very well done. If you don't like them, then that's just your own taste.

U2 probably has several reasons for releasing remixes of songs, besides just the creative satisfaction of letting others reinterpret their music. I don't think it usually means they weren't happy with the original song (except perhaps the Pop tracks, which are not dance remixes). For one thing, by releasing remix promos to club deejays, it puts their music into a whole other arena. Strange as it may sound, there are large numbers of people whose music preferences lie completely outside of rock-and-roll. So when they hear U2 songs mixed as dance tracks, they are introduced to music they would not normally hear. Which is--hmmmm--similar what happens when dance remixes are on a rock-and-roll band's Best of album. How cool.

I'd be willing to bet the reason there are so many remixes on the '90s B-sides disc is because many of these things are hard to find, since they are sometimes released as vinyl-only promos or "imports" outside the U.S.

Give remixes a chance, is my creedo. I had a friend who once postulated that U2 fans who don't like the dance remixes are people who simply can't dance. :shrug:

Oh I gave them a chance. Never again. Techno is CRAP and it SUCKS. I can't bear the torture. It's a terrible, horrendous NOISE. It's 'music' like that that made me be a U2 fan instead of a crap music fan. I don't want it from them. And can't dance huh? That ain't my kind of dancing. So IMO it is crap.

But here's another point. The first B-sides disc was really full of real B-sides. Tunes that were recorded at the time of the album or around then. The second B-sides disc has just a few B-sides on it. The techno remixes aren't new music, just rehashes of the same damn songs! I think it indicates a less creative time for the band.

(I hope that makes sense. The field trip today wore me out.)

Yes Martha I understand and I agree! :yes: Another point is, how can anything really be a 'b side' when there are no longer any 45 RPM singles to have a b side? (which is where the term came from, I'm sure you have a few yourself!) Everything on the new 'b sides' was made from the times when there was just a cd or a cd single, but not a true b side like in the 80's and before! Its proper name should be 'outtakes, remixes, rehashes, and ...stuff'

U2Kitten said:
Yes Martha I understand and I agree! :yes: Another point is, how can anything really be a 'b side' when there are no longer any 45 RPM singles to have a b side? (which is where the term came from, I'm sure you have a few yourself!) Everything on the new 'b sides' was made from the times when there was just a cd or a cd single, but not a true b side like in the 80's and before! Its proper name should be 'outtakes, remixes, rehashes, and ...stuff'

Very true!

I find that I listen to the 80-90 b sides on a more regular basis but when I crave something a little different I listen to the other cd. Depending on the mood I will either listen to it all or skip around songs.

wavesofregret said:
Oh I gave them a chance. Never again. Techno is CRAP and it SUCKS. I can't bear the torture. It's a terrible, horrendous NOISE. It's 'music' like that that made me be a U2 fan instead of a crap music fan. I don't want it from them. And can't dance huh? That ain't my kind of dancing. So IMO it is crap.

Oh honey, you've been listening to some bad techno then. I just recently came around on the techno argument. It turns out that I had only ever heard bad techno. (And this is coming from a punk.)
There are so many fantastic U2 techno remixes though. I think that is is rather silly to write them all off in the name of some random sweeping disdane for "techno." I mean that's like calling all Hip Hop crap or all rock crap. It's a really quite varied genre full of neuances. And a lot of crap too. (See Euro Trance.) I much prefer the MOFO explicit mix to the original, for example, and I think that the Staring at the Sun Monster Truck remix is just excellent. And again I have to point out how fucking GOOD Dirty Day Junk Day remix is. I said goddamn.
I do agree that I would have like to have seen more *actual* b sides on the 90-00 B sides disc though, but I have issues with the whole CD in general. Calluna and I have begun thinking of it as more of just a smapler than an actual best of.

If you set your mind free baby, maybe you'll understand.

yes, if you think techno is crap then youve been listening to all the wrong shit.

and if you dont believe me, sooner or later your basic guitar arrangements will bore you and youll finally see what were talking about.

Originally posted by MixingBliss
I had a friend who once postulated that U2 fans who don't like the dance remixes are people who simply can't dance.

I can sorta dance...

My only problem with some of the remixes is just that we have an original version of the song and then a remix, or two different remixes of the same song (two remixes of "Discotheque"...????), like martha stated (even though I do like the Gimme Some More Dignity Mix of "Numb", as I stated earlier-I prefer that one to the other mix).

That and the thing I've said with "If God Will Send His Angels"...it's just that if it's a slow song, or a sad song, being made into a dance tune, well, that takes away from the whole mood and meaning of the song originally (like when they made a dance version of "My Heart Will Go On"-like my dad always said when he heard the dance version on the radio, "The Titanic's sinking...let's dance!")...you know what I mean?

That's all I'm getting at with some of these remixes.

But if a remix is done right, like the "Gone" and "Staring At The Sun" remixes, then, yay! :D.

Angela

I love the 80's B sides. :heart:

I freakin can't live without the 90's B sides!!!!! :heart: :drool: :combust:

"Happiness is a warm gun" makes me :shifty:

I can't get enough of the Pop remixes. :love:

edit: to say... If the 90's b sides had a MOFO remix then it would just be perfection!

Last edited:
martha said:

:no: :no:

I refuse to let the term go!!! Gimme my singles back, dammit.

(I'll go sit in my rocking chair now.)

And don't forget to wind up the old victrola :laugh:

I can't find my old box of 45's. :sad: I think my husband accidently pitched the box in one of his junk purge rampages :scream:

Moonlit_Angel said:
The 80-90 B-sides kick arse. I LOVE the songs on there!

The 90-00 B-sides...I don't mind most of them. "Lady With The Spinning Head" is good (I can't say how it compares to the original, 'cause I've never heard the original), and I like "Summer Rain", "North and South of the River", "Salome" (again, never heard the original of this song, either).

Lady With the Spinning Head is nearly identical, just longer. Salome's original mix is very different, but I prefer the Zooromancer mix. The original mix is just.. too cheesy.

I like the second b-sides disc. :up: It's not perfect, but it's quite good.

i thought that with Disc 2 i was getting all those wonderful bsides that i havent heard. like satellite love, slow dancing, big gierls are best....im very dissapointed.

Back
Top Bottom