Whichis the best bootleg from his tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angell

The Fly
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

My fave is Minneapolis 5-01 fer sure...the solo on MW was incredible, the Fly rocked..pretty much from Bad on through to the end is fabulous (my favorite songs, so I listen mostly to the second disc)....how about yous guys? Reasons?

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Angell (edited 01-12-2002).]

Honestly, I was not all that impressed by opening night....especially when compared to the other shows I saw.
What makes Cleveland great? Was it a show you saw personally? I have only heard MN...wasn't there (but now wish I had been).
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I think the Vegas show is incredible.

Do any of you know where I can get a boot of Boston4? I've heard so many things about it...

Thanks!
smile.gif

no i was in Birmingham (that's in England... which is in Europe...
smile.gif
) where they played a very good Discotheque/Staring At The Sun.

Cleveland I have heard and is excellent quality.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I think the Vegas show is incredible.

Do any of you know where I can get a boot of Boston4? I've heard so many things about it...

Thanks!
smile.gif

Hey girlie!!
smile.gif

Vegas is a GREAT boot (we're not biased, are we? lol)!!

You can find lots of boots on u2mofo.com, btw. I'm positive he has Boston 4.
biggrin.gif

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?

Best bootleg...that is a very very hard question to answer. Between audience recorded shows, ALD's, and earpieces there are some incredible recordings out there. No other tour has produced the quality we have seen so far. There are also some just amazing recordings out there that won't see the light of day for one reason or another. I won't even begin the elitist taper debate either. I have been doing some massive trading over the last month and just when I thought I have heard the best boot of the tour, another one shows up in my mailbox and I am in shock. I got one today from San Jose 4-20-01 that is just outstanding. Beautiful audience recording.

About Albany---I was at that show and consider myself very very lucky to have been there. The crowd that night lifted Bono when he was obviously very down. There are 2 recordings from that show that are circulating. One is above average and the other is just outstanding. Great balance of the band, Bono's voice, and very little crowd noise. Another one of my favorites.

------------------

I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

--New York

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Hey girlie!!
smile.gif

Vegas is a GREAT boot (we're not biased, are we? lol)!!

You can find lots of boots on u2mofo.com, btw. I'm positive he has Boston 4.
biggrin.gif

Not at all biased, girl!
smile.gif
smile.gif

We'll always have Vegas and its Inclinator, Nefertiti's Lounge and my hotel room
wink.gif

As far as bootlegs from this tour, I've heard Cleveland, Minneanapolis, Opening night, Miami 12/2, NY4, South Bend, Tampa 12/1, Phoenix, and Charlotte and my favorites have been Clevaland, Opening Night, Miami 12/2, and NY4.

This is because those shows all had great recordings in respect to the crowd noise vs. U2's sound levels. Also, they hall have some special qualities about them that make theme a unique show. So go forth and get those boots!

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

IMO, all U2 shows are great so as far as bootlegs go, I would go with best audio quality. Clevealand, Minneapolis, Paris are all good quality. As for the best show--June 17, 2001 in New York. I saw this show in addition to the first Miami show, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and New Jersey (6/23)and this show was by far the best. Al, of the shows that I saw were great, but I came away from the NY show feeling that I had seen a very special U2 show. I couldn't really explain it, but when I bought the DVD their was a documentary on the tour, and at the end of the documentary the narrator referred to this NY show as the best one on the tour and one of U2's best of all time. I have bootleg of the show that I got off of NEW MEDIA. I would rate the quality as a "good-very good" audience recording. Go to NEW MEDIA or u2bloodredsky.com and d'load any of the above mentioned. Also u2bloodredsky.com is a great referrence for researching bootlegs.

Maybe I should clarify....I'm talking about the quality of the U2 show, not the recording itself. I'm looking for their best performance, not the luck/skill of the recorder!
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Chicago 4 was incredible, but I'm biased since I was there and it was my first U2 show. However, it was undeniably cool that they completely rearranged their setlist to play The Fly, EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, One and UTEOTW all in a row, right after Elevation. Straight outta ZooTV, baby
icon6.gif
They also played Still Haven't Found (a lovely acoustic version) for the first time on the tour and the only time, I believe, during the first and second legs. If not the best, certainly one of the most unique shows on the tour and my personal favorite.

Boston 4 was also pretty awesome. I didn't go to this one, but I've listened to the boot several times and it's freaking amazing. Bono's rant during Bullet is so powerful it's frightening. And how could you not love a concert where they played She's a Mystery to Me and Party Girl? Fantastic show.

Originally posted by Jayhawk:
I got one today from San Jose 4-20-01 that is just outstanding. Beautiful audience recording.

I was at both San Jose shows, the second night on April 20th was just incredible. The best show (musically) that I had seen on the Elevation Tour. And having the bootleg, it does a fine job in delivering the show. I recommend this one!

Best shows: Boston 4(hi db9) and...

Kansas City.

For all the shots we Kansas City fans took for not selling out Kemper, U2 put on just an amazing show that night. They were just ON that night. They must have been having fun because we got to hear long snippets of WILATW and POE. I have never heard a more vocal crowd than that night too. It was just a very very special night.

About San Jose 4-20-01...there are at least 5 recordings circulating from this show and this one has them all beat. Like I posted earlier---it's just a beautiful recording.

------------------

I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

--New York

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 01-13-2002).]

I think there is a distinction between the best show and the best recording.

My favorite combination as far as the actual show and the quality of the recording is the 5-15-01 Chicago soundboard ALD that has no sound dropouts (not the version with the dropouts during Elev. and B Day and the major hiss and static problems). I'am a little biased as I was there but it was a great performance and this ALD version is almost flawless, just a little static in a couple of sections.

Really though, as Jayhawk pointed out this tour has been outstanding as far as the quality of most of the recordings. It is a great time to be collecting U2 audio!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom