which version of Sweetest Thing do you like better: Single or Original Mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sweetest Thing is one of a very few songs where I break my rule of Original is Better. I like the single version better because it's cleaned up, it's finished, and it's less screechy than the original. They gave it the time it needed, and came up with a great finished product. It's also a cool connection of the 80's to the 90's to the 2000's...Pop-era U2 singing a Joshua Tree-era song that's cleaned up to show the direction of the future...not that I have spent any time overanalyzing it or anything...

I DO miss the "Mmm now now, mmm now baby" or whatever that is during the original's bridge. That's just fun. The "Doot doot"'s in the new almost make up for it. :wink:

Hello,

I do not break my rule of 'The original is better.' :p
I prefer the original version over the single mix. Yes, it's a bit rawer, but that's what makes it great. The emotions sound more genuine to me. It also has less of a boyband feel to it. The original didn't try to smooth everything into blandness. This does not mean I don't like the new version, it's just that the original is so much better.

C ya!

Marty

I like the original better. I like that it doesn't sound as "produced" as the single version. I think the single version feels a little bit too cheesy or something for my tastes, but each to their own...

The original. I like how Bono's voice barely makes it through it. :)

i agree that the single version has a boyband quality to it. after all, boyzone did collaborate with them on it. :tongue:

i like the original version better. at the very least, i like his vocals better. he hasn't been as kind to his vocal chords as he should be, and from about 97 on it's really showed.

I prefer the original as well, sounds more fresh to me. But what I really love is the performance from Elevation Tour, opening night in Miami, first time ever...Bono playing piano...much like a cave man would play a piano, LOL...soooo cute. I love it...specially segued for In a Little While. :love:

I can't decide. I'm so used to hearing the remix that it has now grown on me. I like the B-side version because it's raw & tougher sounding, but I like the remix because it's now a polished pop gem. It depends on the day I guess. But I was glad to see them both on the last best of. It's much like the 2 versions of Eletrical Storm on the new Best of.

I like both versions but if I had to pick it would be the original. To me you get more of a sense of emotion and feel the song more. While I do like the perfected/produced aspect to songs there are times when I think the original edge, rawness or feeling gets totally lost.

I like both versions of the song but i think the original is slightly better. Like everyone else said, the single version just doesn't have the emotion.

The original. Bono's voice is so raw and un-perfect, it really fits the lyrics and their meaning. I like the single version too but its way to cleaned up and polished...as some others have said, a little too boy band.

I prefer the remix, especially with the new guitar overdub. I agree with the band when they said the original "just wasn't finished", or however they said it. Although I prefer Bono's vocals from the '80s, this is one instance where they are too raw and out of control (no pun intended). :der:

the original..for the character alone that was lost in the single version

The original version. I just listened to it for the first time when I got the 1.Best Of with the b-sides and I'm really blown away. Bono's voice sounds much better in there and the song itself sounds less bubble gum poppy. :up:

I find it interesting that people like Bono's voice better in the original (as do I), even though - technically speaking - his singing is much improved in the remix. His phrasing, his intonation, his control, is all so much better in the new mix. That said, it's precisely because of this that the remix lacks the character, almost desperation - and certainly a raw sincerity - that is found in the original.

Another thing I like about the original are the jangly guitars - they very much evoke the earthiness of the Joshua Tree.

Well I prefer the single 98' version.

(ha! take that!) ;)

The original Sweetest thing - yes, it's raw - too raw. And this is one of the times where Bono pushes it with his voice - I think I know what everyone is getting at and I can see what he was going for, but it's too straining - almost painful to even listen to.

I prefer the new guitar sound, the string addition (can't go wrong with strings, but that's just me), the new voice. It emphasizes the sweet nature of the melody.

Back
Top Bottom