Which Tour Had The Greatest Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
For me it has to be Zoo TV, I love the slow organ segue from Running, with all the strange sounds of news bulletins, conversations and interference, followed by each of the tv screens turning blood red, just before the whole thing explodes and the house lights come on, revealing everybody in the stadium plus I really like Bono pointing to his younger self and saying 'Hey I remember you'.

The Popmart versions were good as well though, coming right after the desperate Please, the song seemed all the more uplifting and hopeful. Its slight techno slant really lifted the whole thing and gave it a modern twist. After the second chorus, the band stop and let the keyboards and synths do the work before Larry returns with that steadily increasing drum beat, its a very exciting effect, as Bono ran down the walkway to the B stage. This is the only version to finish and then start up all over again, Bono singing a few lines of Playboy Mansion was good but I liked it more when he chanted the name of wherever they were playing before bringing it to an ever bigger climax, then the very slow organ fade as the band left the stage.

The Vertigo versions never quite worked for me though.

Lovetown. Specifically, the 26 December 1989 performance with the Resolution And Independence intro.

I don't know how U2 are meant to top that one.

I got to say Popmart, while the song might be a bit out of place with something that looked like that haha, their influences at that time really added something special.

Although there were excellent renditions of it on Elevation, and it's not like that song has ever been bad on any of their tours barring occasional slip-ups haha.

PopMart. Amazing version.... perfectly segued in2 from Please....

And the Elevation versions, at least the ones on the DVD's, were pretty damn spine-tingling.

This was a hard question?

Almost every tour has it own best version:

1989-12-26 - Dublin
1992-08-30 - New York Outside Brodcast (RTSS<Streets :drool: )
1997-07-16 - Rotterdam(Please<Streets :drool: )
1997 Mexico
Slane Castle 2
Milan(The one from 60 min special, well they only showed it in a couple of seconds, but that was enough)

The Joshua Tree and/or Lovetown

Honorable mention to Elevation for having some very emotional and meaningful performances of the song. Wasn't part of the tour, but the Superbowl Halftime Show, wow doesn't get much more powerful than that.

Ew, Popmart's is my least favorite. God I hate what they did with the song that tour. I couldn't take it seriously with Bono wearing a muscle shirt. >_<

catlhere said:
The Joshua Tree and/or Lovetown

Ew, Popmart's is my least favorite. God I hate what they did with the song that tour. I couldn't take it seriously with Bono wearing a muscle shirt. >_<

muscle shirt ? :huh:

Best: Popmart

Worst: I dont think there is any doubt the worst version of Streets was the Vertigo tour. I think it had more to do with its placement in the setlist though and its themeing for Vertigo. I thought muscially the song was similiar to the Elevation version which I did like.

In terms of the perfection of Edge's intro guitar, I'd say the Zoo TV special version (that followed william burroughs) is the most perfect.

Popmart. One of the few good song reworkings on that tour, and I like the loooong ending.

Transition only, Zoo TV.

Intro, Elevation. Nothing tops the psalm reciting, opening roar and running around the heart.

If I can, i would like to state that IMHO, POPMART was the WORST version. Tempo was too quick and I did not like the reprise.

The best versions were on JT/Lovetown or Elevation tours

The Joshua Tree Tour...hands down, no contest.

It was fresh, it was exciting, it was a powerful opener. I remember being in the front row in April of '87 and when the lights went down for 'Streets' the crowd rose as one and was lost in the music for 5 plus minutes. It was enthralling...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom