Which Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
If you were to be blessed witht he gift of being able to go back and witness a previous tour of u2, which would it be? If you wanna be more specific and wanna narrow it down to a single show, feel free

Difficult to choose just one, but I don't think I'd go back to one of the more famous ones like Sarajevo or Dublin 93, I think I'd choose January 10th 1990 Rotterdram on the Lovetown tour, the best final night of any tour, Bono's voice was on fire and it included great versions of BTBS, Streets and a superb Bad.

Zoo TV. In 4th grade, a classmate of mine got to go see a show, but I wouldn't even become a fan until a few years later. :(

if i had to chose any tour? considering i have never been on any tour so never seen them live, it would probably be either:-

lovetown
zootv
elevation
vertigo

prideofzootv said:
if i had to chose any tour? considering i have never been on any tour so never seen them live, it would probably be either:-

lovetown
zootv
elevation
vertigo

That narrows it down to pretty much half their touring life. Get aff the fence and commit yersell
:wink:

ZooTv

I saw it when I was 13 but didn't remember a whole lot. Plus I didn't fully appreciate how great it was at the time.

If it can be only one show or tour, I'll probably choose Popmart. Reason being it had more variety of a setlist than Zoo TV. And that stage, those props, the huge freaking screen shining bright flourescent colors in the night... :combust: It's a close call because Zoo TV seems mindblowingly awesome on the dvd, esp. that intro! :combust:

But I see Popmart as a celebration of the whole 90s decade not to mention the 80s too! :drool:

I've only been to three shows: Notre Dame during Elevation, and then the two Chicago shows during Vertigo. While the Vertigo shows were visually spectacular and I enjoyed them very much, I would have to choose the Notre Dame show, October 10, 2001. It came shortly after Bono's father's death, my mother's death, and 9/11--and it was a very spiritual, intense show.

I would pick I tour I didnt get to see in person so it would be Lovetown. A specific show from that tour would have to be Nov. 18th Sydney, rated by the band and their crew as one of U2's best shows period.

If I could re live a tour I saw it would be Popmart. Elevation would probably be last (not that I didnt like the tour though) with Vertigo, Zoo TV and Joshua Tree somewhere in between there.

gherman said:
ZooTv

I saw it when I was 13 but didn't remember a whole lot. Plus I didn't fully appreciate how great it was at the time.

Am exactly the same with the Unforgetable Fire tour. its very vague as i was 14 or so......and I tend to get excited about things like this so get ill and things become easily forgotten.

I think ad enjoy Lovetown Tour. It was my fave U2 period.

I would say Zoo TV. I've never seen them live at all (one of my biggest disappointments so far), but I think they were at the peak of their performing at this point.

Lovetown, either 18 November 1989 or 26 December 1989. Maybe the Wellington gig too.

And I can't say I'd mind the October Tour either. Shows such as 4 November 1981, Berlin were scorching.

Zoo TV would be cool to re-live just to go back to 1992 when Achtung Baby was still pretty new.

But, Elevation for me is my favorite tour. I saw 5 shows and loved every one! Many special moments.

Screwtape2 said:
The UF Tour.

1. Best setlists.

2. Best tour for Bono vocally.

3. Wire, Surrender, Sort Of Homecoming and Indian Summer Sky together FTW! :up:

1. Really? I've always felt the UF Tour sets were too static, and even worse than that, too short. Though truth be told, U2's setlists until ZooTV were always too short. It's my one quibble with Lovetown (and UF). 90-100 minutes is just not enough if you're headlining.

2. While I personally prefer Lovetown, UF was also a high point. I think it had consistently the best performances of SBS. Some on War and JT were better, but when averaged, I feel UF has the advantage.

3. HELL YES! :drool:

Axver said:

1. Really? I've always felt the UF Tour sets were too static, and even worse than that, too short. Though truth be told, U2's setlists until ZooTV were always too short. It's my one quibble with Lovetown (and UF). 90-100 minutes is just not enough if you're headlining.

I can't argue with the fact that they were a bit static but I think the song selection was perfect. The length of the show bothers me too but I think you'd agree that quality outweighs quanity. I think the UF Tour featured the best live version of every song played on it.

Screwtape2 said:
I can't argue with the fact that they were a bit static but I think the song selection was perfect. The length of the show bothers me too but I think you'd agree that quality outweighs quanity. I think the UF Tour featured the best live version of every song played on it.

Well, yeah, the quality certainly outweighed the quantity, and songs such as I Will Follow, New Year's Day, UF, and 40 were in their element. The sprawling epic versions of 40 were extraordinary!

I do think some facets of the set could have been improved though. Only playing ISS nine times is criminal. I think Party Girl should have been more sporadic. And the passage of IWF --> Seconds --> MLK that was used for some of the tour had absolutely nothing on the IWF --> Wire --> MLK passage used on other parts.

Do you have the 7 November 1984, Glasgow bootleg? Without a doubt, that is one of the most energetic U2 shows ever. I used to use 11OTT from that gig to hype myself up before debates when I was in high school.

Axver said:

Well, yeah, the quality certainly outweighed the quantity, and songs such as I Will Follow, New Year's Day, UF, and 40 were in their element. The sprawling epic versions of 40 were extraordinary!

I do think some facets of the set could have been improved though. Only playing ISS nine times is criminal. I think Party Girl should have been more sporadic. And the passage of IWF --> Seconds --> MLK that was used for some of the tour had absolutely nothing on the IWF --> Wire --> MLK passage used on other parts.

Do you have the 7 November 1984, Glasgow bootleg? Without a doubt, that is one of the most energetic U2 shows ever. I used to use 11OTT from that gig to hype myself up before debates when I was in high school.

The Glasgow show is :drool:

ISS is another example of U2's strange willingness to drop songs after only a few plays. It wasn't like they couldn't play it or that the audience wasn't into it. :huh:

Another thing I loved about the UF Tour was that it had a unique mood that encompassed the entire show. Later tours felt a little disjointed but UF had a certain color and environment to it.

I wasn't at any U2 show, but I've been most impressed by Popmart, because of stage and all the stuff, but not because of band's performance and Bono's voice so it would be rather Conspiracy of Hope tour East Rutheford 1986, even if it isn't U2 tour with long setlist

Axver said:

I wonder if this was my first ever U2 gig. It was one of 2 glasgow dates. Shame I remember nothing at all about it let alone the date. Doubly bad if it was soooo good:sad:

U2lunatic said:
so it would be rather Conspiracy of Hope tour East Rutheford 1986, even if it isn't U2 tour with long setlist

:drool: Give me one example from antoher tour when Bono sings Bad,SBS and Pride so strong, there is no other. The 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford is his voice peak. JT tour dosent come close.

Screwtape2 said:
The UF Tour.

1. Best setlists.

2. Best tour for Bono vocally.

3. Wire, Surrender, Sort Of Homecoming and Indian Summer Sky together FTW! :up:

1. debatable, I think the Lovetown and Vertigo setlists were/are better.

2. Agreed, he was also destroying his vocal chords in the process. But he did sound amazing when he didnt lose his voice on that tour.

3. Yes, those were great songs put together. However, I think Indian Summer Sky, while a really good song, never really translated that well live. I think its why they dropped it.

Now the song I would have loved for them to try on that tour is Promenade.

Popmart São Paulo - January 31, 1998

My favorite tour is Zoo Tv and I would love to have been at a Lovetown show too but that last show during U2's first time in Brazil during the Popmart Tour is my favorite ever and undoubtedly one of the best shows of the career!

Back
Top Bottom