Which songs were played on the last tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I've thought of these so far, let me know if I missed anything:

- album songs:

I will follow
Out of control
Gloria (they did play it, right?)
Sunday bloody sunday
New Year's day
Pride
A sort of homecoming
Bad
Where the streets have no name
I still haven't found what I'm looking for
With or without you
In God's country
Angel of Harlem
Desire
All I want is you
One
MW
UTEOTW
Even better than the real thing
The fly
Stay
Discotheque
Gone
Staring at the sun
Please
Wake up dead man (was this just a snippet or was it played in full?)
BD
Elevation
Stuck
Walk on
Kite
In a little while
Wild honey
New York

- B-sides:

11 o'clock tick tock
Party girl
Slow dancing
Spanish eyes
Sweetest thing

- various songs:

The ground beneath her feet

What's going on
I shall be released
My sweet Lord
Peoople get ready
All along the watchtower

Hello,

You've come a long way, baby :) But the list you posted isn't entirely correct. I've compared it with a list I posted a long time ago and I saw some differences:

U2girl said:
I've thought of these so far, let me know if I missed anything:

- album songs:
Gloria (they did play it, right?)
Wake up dead man (was this just a snippet or was it played in full?)

Gloria was not played on the tour. A few times Bono sang a snippet of Them's Gloria, but never the U2 version.
Walk On was never played in a 5 minute version, I believe the most they played was around 3 minutes (2 verses and the bridge). If you count that as a full song or not, that's debatable (I did count it).

Some songs you forgot are:

Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Peace On Earth
"I Love You"

I Remember You
Dancing In The Moonlight
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

- They played Running To Stand Still only once, in Zurich
- They played Peace On Earth in Kansas (I'm not 100% sure) and I believe it was a full version (so not just 1 verse)
- "I Love You" is the 'mystery jam' they played at the 2nd Antwerp show; it was a birthday present for The Edge.
- I Remember You is the Ramones song
- Dancing In The Moonlight is originally a song by Thin Lizzy. U2 played it at the 1st Slane concert

C ya!

Marty

Marty, actually you are incorrect about POE in KC. The full version of POE was never played except at soundcheck. They only did the first verse and chorus at several shows. Bono also did the first verse and chorus of When I Look At The World tacked onto the end of Bad at the KC show so maybe that is what you are confusing it with.

Regarding Walk On. I'am not quite sure what you mean?? I consider what they played on Elevation to be a full version. It is exactly like the single version that was released. Just because it isnt exactly like the album (which at the beginning of the tour, really it was) doesnt mean it wasnt a full version? Also the run time of Walk On for most concerts was 4 to 5 minutes, so your statements about it are confusing and suprising to me?? If this was the criteria, Streets wouldnt count as a full version as it is played differently than the album.

Or looking back now, did you mean Wake Up Dead Man and not Walk On???

Also Running To Stand still was completely impromptu and done while they were playing Desire. If you are going to count that you also should count Hawkmoon 269 which they also did during the same song right before Running.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Which songs were played on the last tour?

Popmartijn said:
- They played Running To Stand Still only once, in Zurich

I think they played it at least one other time on the tour -- maybe twice. I seem to recall it as a snippet at the end of Bad, and I'm pretty sure they used a snippet right before Walk On once.

Re: Re: Re: Which songs were played on the last tour?

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:

I think they played it at least one other time on the tour -- maybe twice. I seem to recall it as a snippet at the end of Bad, and I'm pretty sure they used a snippet right before Walk On once.

Nope, played once, impromptu version tacked onto Desire in Zurich as Popmartin indicated.

Blue Room said:
Marty, actually you are incorrect about POE in KC. The full version of POE was never played except at soundcheck. They only did the first verse and chorus at several shows. Bono also did the first verse and chorus of When I Look At The World tacked onto the end of Bad at the KC show so maybe that is what you are confusing it with.

OK, that's possible. I don't have all the Elevation recordings (and only one of the third leg), so I have to rely on reports by others. I remember reading on http://www.u2tours.com about somebody saying they played a full version of Peace On Earth one night, but checking it now I cannot find it. So I think you are correct and that it was never played in full.

Or looking back now, did you mean Wake Up Dead Man and not Walk On???

Yes, I meant Wake Up Dead Man, but somehow I wrote down Walk On. Sorry, my big mistake (but when Wake Up Dead Man was tagged at the end of One it would often precede Walk On. So I'm thinking faster than U2 could play :) )

Also Running To Stand still was completely impromptu and done while they were playing Desire. If you are going to count that you also should count Hawkmoon 269 which they also did during the same song right before Running.

Now you are mixing things up :p The Hawkmoon 269/Desire/Running To Stand Still medley was played at the first Cologne concert (12 July). I know, because I was there! (great night, my first Elevation concert).
In Zurich, on 24 July, they played a stand-alone (but also impromptu) version of Running To Stand Still, between One and Walk On. Again, I don't have an actual recording of this, relying on the fan reports.
(I'm downloading a RealAudio file of it now. OK, this is another debatable track. It's 2:30 and Bono skips the 2nd verse while improvising/adlibbing the third verse)

C ya!

Marty

My bad, you are correct it was Cologne. But Hawkmoon was technically part of Desire. They were playing the chords to Desire and Bono recited the Hawkmoon lyrics over it because a fan was holding a sign up that had them on it.

Regarding POE. They did do a longer version of it at a few shows. I will have to check to see if KC was one of them. But even then it was not a full version. They did rehearse a full band version that they never played. Which is to bad.

Revised list:

album tracks
Out of control- began to be rotated with "I will follow"
I will follow
Sunday bloody sunday
New years day
40- If the Astoria gig counts.
A sort of homecoming
Pride
Bad
MLK - Super Bowl was still on the Elevation stage.........;)
Where the streets have no name
I still haven't found what I'm looking for
With or without you
Bullet the blue sky
Running to stand still (in Cologne and Zurich)
In God's Country (crap acoustic version)
Desire
Hawkmoon 269 (more than half the song was sang, making in not a snippet)
Angel of Harlem
All I want is you
Even better than the real thing
One
Until the end of the world
Who's gonna ride your wild horses (2 verses and choruses)
The Fly
Mysterious ways
Stay (Faraway, so close)
Discotheque
Staring at the sun
Gone
Please
Wake up dead man
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a moment
Elevation
Walk on
Kite
In a little while
Wild honey
Peace on earth (intro to Walk on during 3rd leg)
When I look at the world (once in Kansas)
New York

B-sides and other assorted U2 tracks
11:00 tick tock - rarely played
Party girl - sometimes acoustic, sometimes full band.
Spanish eyes- at the one spanish show in Barcelona
Sweetest thing
She's a mystery to me
Slow dancing
The ground beneath her feet
Two shots of happy, one shot of sad (once)
I love you

Covers:
Dancing in the moonlight
I shall be released
People get ready
All along the watchtower
What's going on
When will I see you again
My sweet lord

ah bugger, i thought id be the first one to mention whos gonna ride your wild horses.

i think of all the elevation shows, i would have liked zurich's setlist the best. that seemed like quite the experience.

Back
Top Bottom