Which songs are the best examples of the band members talent???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
What songs are the best examples of the musical talent of the band members? I am not talking about your favorite song, or the song the whole band sounds best in, but what song does each player independently play their finest in???

My thoughts say:

Larry: Sunday Bloody Sunday
Adam: Exit
Edge: The Fly
Bono: Bad

What say you Interferencers???

Nice question!
smile.gif

Adam: Bad (There's a killer base line there)
Edge: UTEOTW
Larry: SBS
Bono: ISHFWILF, Stay

Group: One

LARRY: Out of Control, Beautiful Day
ADAM: Do you feel loved
EDGE: Pride, Elevation, With or Without You
BONO: One

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

great question...one that I've often pondered myself.
smile.gif

Bono - WOWY
Edge - Love Is Blindness
Larry - BTBS
Adam - Please

Bono: IALW (damn, the man got soul!)
Larry: SBS (even only the intro would do it!)
Adam: Love is blindness (I love the deep, heavy bass in this song)
Edge: The Fly (no doubt)

Interesting question, btw.

------------------
Take the money and run

Bono: Since he mostly sings, I will choose his best vocal songs - "Pride," "One Tree Hill," and "Kite" - he really belts out these songs and hits all the high notes, and the sheer emotion in each is amazing.

Edge: To me there is one defining brilliant Edge moment that will live forever - it is called "The Fly." To me, that is classic Edge intertwined with powerful new sounds and a wailing guitar. Edge at his best.

Larry: Adore the drums in "Sunday Bloody Sunday." Larry's marching beat drums really added a new meaning to that song.

Adam: The bassline for "New Year's Day" is one of the best I've ever heard.

I am blown away every time by the drumming in Bad........it's so subtle, difficult, and perfect for the song. But I understand why so many think SBS is Larry's best.

Oh I also wanted to mention Larry's drumming on WOWY. It may be subtle but to me he really "makes" the song especially right at the end when he starts giving it that little extra...whatever it is...tambourines? Anyways, it just clinches the whole song.

Larry: I threw A Brick Through A Window
Like A Song

Adam: I threw A Brick

Bono = LEMON

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

I have to agree with many of the Bad suggestions. Also, when I said Bono I did really mean his vocals as I do not consider him much of a guitarist (don't hate me.)

Sula - I know what you mean about WOWY. I play the drus and growing up was addicted to playing along to that song and replicating Larry's Tom Tom, Snare, Hi-Hat (tamborine) rhythm.

Boom
Chick
Boom
Chick
Boom
Chick
Boom
Chick
(Tamborine)
Boom
Chick

Adam: New Year's Day
Edge: Streets
Bono: Bad

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Bono: Bad (both vocally and lyrically, though I think his lyrics on Pop are underrated)
Edge: The Fly

Song where all members are strongly represented: With or Without You

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Top of my head:

Bono: Lemon
Larry: Bullet the Blue Sky
Edge: The Fly, Kite

P.S. These are not really any of my most favorite U2 songs as Larry says it takes four legs to make a chair balance.

It's been a while since I've replied at any thread but here I am now:

Larry: Where the Streets Have No Name. I know it's not the hardest drum song, but he puts so much energy in it, it's incredible.

Adam: Please. That was a really hard choice...

Edge: The Fly No question here.

Bono: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For Great song...

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Larry Mullen: Wake Up Dead Man and Please (Live)
Adam Clayton:Gone and Indian Summer Sky
The Edge:Heartland,Pride,the Fly,Mysterious Ways,Kite
Bono:One,Walk On,Grace,Lemon,Party Girl,The Unforgettable Fire

------------------
In this Ozland

Hmmmm

Good question ouizy!

hmmmm let me think....yeah it would be like this:

Larry: Hawkmoon269 (amazing drums there!)
Bono: Bad or All I Want Is you (for the lovely and soaring vocals!)
Edge: Love Is Blindness (oh, that last guitar bit! amazing!)

As a Band together: ooooh tough one....live itd have to be Streets by a mile! On record, itd be....oh god im split between With or Without You and Bullet the Blue Sky

cheers my dears!

dougal

how come nobody has mentioned bono's voice work in heartland?! it is so good. especially that last falsetto right around the end...pure talent

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Larry: Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please
Adam: Seconds, Some Days Are Better Than Others
Edge: UTEOTW, Silver and Gold (R&H version)
Bono: Red Hill Mining Town - even Bono could never duplicate the performance of the studio version, it's never been played live

[This message has been edited by BB218 (edited 03-07-2002).]

As a guitar player and a drum player, i play a lot of U2's songs. Here is my take on this.

Adam - Sweetest Thing and I Will Follow
Larry - With or without you (Just watching him on Rattle & Hum is enough to prove it)
Edge - Many of you might think that Edge's guitar style is very hard to play. But in fact it is very simple with the use of delay (eg. streets and pride). The Fly solo is very simple to play once you know how to play it. I would say the song that best shows Edge's talent is Bullet The Blue Sky.
Bono - Red Hill Mining Town. Since they couldn't play it live to save his voice that shows his talent.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

[This message has been edited by Lemonator (edited 03-07-2002).]

Ah This is a subject very close to my heart

# as a band - Bad and Heartland

together they are just superb, complementing each other in glorious subtle ways, and it seems so effortless - they just do it. Both songs just send me soaring somewhere else, you know, we've all been there. I think I could write a thesis on Heartland, but maybe some other time!!

Individually, musically
# Bono - so many ! The Unfogetable Fire, MLK
# the Edge - AIWIY
# Larry - I Threw a Brick through a Window, Sunday Bloody Sunday
# Adam - Gone

Pamela

when the night takes a deep breath
and the daylight has no end

Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy:
how come nobody has mentioned bono's voice work in heartland?! it is so good. especially that last falsetto right around the end...pure talent

I love Heartland! It's such a haunting and beautiful song. But I always forget about it.

I was listening to Pride yesterday, that has great drums. I don't know how challenging they are, as I'm not a drummer, but the drum roll right before the refrain is killer.

Adam: Cover of AB and NYD and DYFL
Bono: WGRYWH and Bad and One
Edge: The fly and UTEOTW and WOWY
Larry: SBS and WOWY

I've already mentioned Heartland! what a song - I love it so much and your hearing Bono at his absolute best, vocally and musically. I can't think of a song where his voice sounds better than this, but everyone is great in this song !
Adam - glorious bass line
The Edge - subtle and intuitive - just beautiful
and Larry - just listen closely - its an absolute gem from him, especially at the end
It all seems to inertwine like a jigsaw put together
this is an absolute favourite!!

Pamela

When the night takes a deep breath
and the daylight has no end

Back
Top Bottom