Which song is U2's "Stairway to Heaven"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsNation

The Fly
There are some songs that reflect a band in a nutshell. Stairway to Heaven certainly did that for Led Zep. It was acoustic, electric, soft and hard, mystical and bombastic, bluesy and hard-rocking all at the same time. It was arguably Jimmy Page's greatest solo, and Robert Plant's voice at its peak. It was everything that Zeppelin was about. It may not have been their best song ( many Zep fans like myself will point to other less famous songs like Kashmir or Black Dog)....but it certainy defined them.

In trying to decide which U2 song that reflects them the best, my gut reaction would be to say "One"....it's Bono's voice at his best, it has Edge's signature guitar sound, it's innovative yet classic, the lyrics are arguably U2's best, and it has a spiritual dimension to it ....but maybe that's just because it's my favourite song. I think there could be arguments made for Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Streets, Still havent Found What I'm looking for, Beautiful Day, and even SYCMIOYO and others for being the quintessential U2 song.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Where the Streets Have No Name isn't a choice, because unlike "Stairway to Heaven" it was a single. And if we're being technical every commerical single is out of the question.

So, that being said, I can't think of a single U2 song that transcends all others that were actually released as singles.

Danospano said:
Where the Streets Have No Name isn't a choice, because unlike "Stairway to Heaven" it was a single. And if we're being technical every commerical single is out of the question.

So, that being said, I can't think of a single U2 song that transcends all others that were actually released as singles.

Bad. . . it wasn't a single

if it can;t be a "hit" single. then its acrobat. casue the lyrics realy show where u2 was at the time, where they were before, and still where thier going today. its every thing about being bono and u2. even now u2 still connects back to this song. i think this is almost a no brainer. i mean look at how mad people get cause u2 hasn;t done the song live. thats the #1 song that has to played live before any else. its the sleeper song on a great album.

I would have to say Bad without a doubt. To me it has the Edge's signature sound that has made them so original. When I here that sound I know it is U2 and not one band in the world has been able to really recreate that sound. The lyrics are so emotional and to me it has been very spiritual in my life.:wink:

The key component of a U2 song equalling Stairway is missing from many posts in this thread - it has to be played over and over on the radio. Stairway was and is still a mainstay of rock radio. Please is out, so is Bad. Sunday Bloody Sunday is played but not as often as other U2 songs, same goes for Streets.

I sumbit that U2's Stairway (meaning that it encompasses the signature sound of the band + is widely known + is played on not only rock but multi-format radio) is either

A. Beautiful Day; or
B. I Stil Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Nah seriously, if the criteria is that the song CANNOT be a single, than I'd probably say Bad.

It represents U2 sounding the most U2ish, and also represents the sound that catapaulted U2 into being considered as one of the all time great bands.

Personally, I reckon it's Where the Streets have no Name, but if it can't be a single, than I'd go for Bad.

I think the intention, and as I actually READ the post, was to say what song is U2 know for, or what song will they be known for and this is so easy, it shouldn't really need to be asked.

Streets.

Silly me actually reading the post.

Definitely Bad.

It's got several similarities to Stairway To Heaven. It wasn't a single, yet it gets tons of airplay on rock stations, at least in the U.S. It also is fairly lengthy in time - over six minutes.

And it is U2 at its best.

phanan said:
Definitely Bad.

It's got several similarities to Stairway To Heaven. It wasn't a single, yet it gets tons of airplay on rock stations, at least in the U.S. It also is fairly lengthy in time - over six minutes.

And it is U2 at its best.
I agree with your post. Well... as for me, Stairway To Heaven is Stairway To Heaven :wink: no other song can match it :drool:. Bad is the closest U2 song to that unbelievable musical progression:shocked:. Moreover, as Stairway, Bad wasn´t a single. So my vote goes to Bad as U2´s "Stairway To Heaven" ;)

Peace :wave:

Shouldn't the question be, what song is Led Zeppelin's "Streets"?

It's probably One, or With or Without You...except for the whole "not a single" thing. People who can't name a LZ tune to save their lives know Stairway...so Bad is out on that criterion. Probably the only non-single from U2 that gets regular airplay is "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and it's a song a lot of people identify with U2...

So it's Sunday Bloody Sunday, unless you let the single thing pass. Then it would be One.

CTU2fan said:
Shouldn't the question be, what song is Led Zeppelin's "Streets"?

It's probably One, or With or Without You...except for the whole "not a single" thing. People who can't name a LZ tune to save their lives know Stairway...so Bad is out on that criterion. Probably the only non-single from U2 that gets regular airplay is "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and it's a song a lot of people identify with U2...

So it's Sunday Bloody Sunday, unless you let the single thing pass. Then it would be One.

Although never a single in the U.S., Sunday Bloody Sunday was a single in most other parts of the world.

And I think quite a few people know Bad - maybe not as much as One or Sunday Bloody Sunday, but enough. I know what you are getting at though regarding Stairway. Everyone knows that.

You may be confusing 2 different things here. A song that has all elements and every member's contribution etc. need not be the one they're most known for. In Led Zeppelin's case it worked out beautifully. Stairway is both representative and well known. I would say Where The Streets Have No Name is the most well known for U2. It's the one song that even non-fans know. On the other hand, One I think is more representative of their career.

Back
Top Bottom