Which Song Do You Prefer - 'Electrical Storm' or 'Summer Rain'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Do You Prefer?

• 'Summer Rain'

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • 'Electrical Storm'

Votes: 53 80.3%

• Total voters

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, forget the video, all the hype, and all the versions and slinky production of 'Electrical Storm'; and try and forget that 'Summer Rain' is a B-side. (It might almost be worth it to think of the demo version of 'Electrical Storm' in this comparison.) Just tell me - based on the songwriting alone - which song you prefer. They have some things in common, using similar vocals, tempo and acoustic guitar sounds. Try to take all the components of songwriting into account - the lyrics, the melody, the hooks, the feel. Which song has a greater emotional impact on you? Which one do you like more?

This should be interesting...

Last edited:
Both are great songs, but I would choose Electrical Storm hands down. It has more emotional impact on me lyric wise.

Last edited:
Oh - I should have mentioned this: Listen to each song before voting. I fear that with the media saturation and fan frenzy of 'Electrical Storm', there will be a built in bias. Psychology can play quite the role (not that I'm calling you all brainwashed or anything!;)). It's just that a little refresher always helps to balance things off again.

I voted for Electrical Storm. I love this song! Both the lyrics and the music itself have a greater emotional impact on me than Summer Rain. There is just something very dramatic about Electrical Storm - the way the song starts softly and then builds and builds until it becomes huge. I love Bono's vocals (the falsetto is gorgeous) and Edge's sizzling guitar work.

Summer Rain is a good song too. I'm a sucker for acoustical ballads. I'm glad you posted this poll, Michael, because it inspired me to dig it out and listen to it. I tend to forget I even have it because it came as an extra disc with my copy of ATYCLB and it's annoying to put a CD in my CD player to listen to just one song.

Last edited:
I voted for E-Storm. The sheer intensity of its lyrics and music eclipses Summer Rain (which also happens to be a very good song).

So far, this poll looks like a slaughter in favor of the Electrical Storm. Despite the built in bias of having this poll as E-Storm is first getting airplay, I believe it is the superior U2 song.

AJ

Hawk269 said:
I voted for E-Storm. The sheer intensity of its lyrics and music eclipses Summer Rain (which also happens to be a very good song).

So far, this poll looks like a slaughter in favor of the Electrical Storm. Despite the built in bias of having this poll as E-Storm is first getting airplay, I believe it is the superior U2 song.

AJ

I agree completely...I love both songs, but Electrical Storm just has more of an emiotional impact (as has been said before)...really kicks in, and Bono's voice is incredible.

I prefer Summer Rain. ES does't impress. It's not a horrible song but it's nothing special. I wonder how many people would like this song if it had been written by say Travis or Coldplay?

U2 needs to come up with more edgier and original material or even huge fans like me will eventually become bored of these unoriginal songs.

Summer Rain is a great song.

Electrical Storm is a great song too. Plus, it goes down in history as being officially released to radio on the very day thast my boy was born (August 28th).

Like this is a hard choice for me! :D

why oh why did you have to make me choose?:scream:
in the end I chose Electrical Storm...but now I want to change my mind...:rant: :scratch: :coocoo: :crack: :banghead: :scratch:
I love both songs...and both songs touch me differently emotionally.....so so so hard to choose.
:heart: Autumn

Electrical Storm, though it was a hard choice.

Let's see colours that have never been seen
Let's go to a place no one else has been!

:cute:

I have to say Summer Rain because I got into it quicker. Electrical Storm will take a couple more spins for me to appreciate.

Lyrically, I think ES is a bit muddled ("heavy as a truck") but then again, I do like the vagueness of most of their songs. I love the line in SR "the lines on face are a map to your soul" and find myself humming that when I see an old wrinkled person.

I'm a bit bummed about the video. I downloaded what I guess is the Radio 1 version and prefer that over the video version. Also, the video doesn't make to much sense (I guess going back to that vagueness) and when I saw that reindeer or caribou I was like :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom