Which reworked Pop song is your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which reworked Pop song is your favorite?

• Gone (Hedges mix)

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • Discotheque (Hedges mix)

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Staring at the Sun (Hedges mix)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland w/ Bono)

Votes: 16 23.5%

• Total voters
Just from going off the top of my head from what I remember of the Best Of CD II the first disc:

GONE

I don't like what they did to Discotheque. WTF happened to the *BOOM CHA's*:evil: ?????

They butchered Discotheque. Gone abso-f*cking-lutely rocks, however.

I gave the nod to Gone, although I really like Velvet Dress, as well.

I enjoyed more guitars, edge's vocals, and of course Bono just screaming at the end.

i voted for gone, i like the rest except for the boomcha-less discotheque...like everyone else, i'm real original aren't i?

I like the new Discotheque :reject: The freaky sounding stuff was what I didn't like about it and I like the changes. It puts more attention on some of the lyrics instead of the wackiness which makes me appreciate it more. I had totally missed this before:

Wanna be the one, but you know you're someone else instead
want to be the one, be the song, that you hear, in your head

That was good, the best part of the song, but it got lost in all the distortion and weirdness and now it sounds better. I think they improved it. I know a lot of you don't agree but that's just my opinion.

Gone is the one I don't like the rework of, it seems slower and more stretched and not as rocking.

Discotheque is 100 times better than the album version. The re-worked version has balls to it. Fuckin' kicks the old versions ass.
Gone is great too.

No question about it-- Gone.

It was already very good, but the reworking made it a true classic.

I LOVE the new Velvet Dress. I LOVE the old Velvet Dress. I think I need to buy a velvet dress...

New Velvet Dress is much better than the album version -- not nearly as good as the live one they played during Popmart.

Why did they bother reworking SATS? It sounds close to the same, plus a drumbeat . . . whoohoo.

GONE ROCKS.

Gone.

Where's Velvet Dress availible. I gotta have it! Please, somebody help me! I don't download shit off the net. Is it on CD?

cujo said:
I'm still mad they didn't put Please on the Best of...

Please is my favorite song on Pop, and one of my all time favorite U2 songs. I too really thought it was one of the "best of" the '90's. Oh well, atleast they had the video on that little history mix dvd that came with the double cd.

PS- it's weird that a J-Lo fan like you would have such good taste in U2 songs.

Last edited:
i think the new mix of discotheque starts out really good, it focus a lot more in the guitar, and what U2 is instead than focusing on the dance beats, etc. But the ending is where they really fucked up, killin g the boomchas and just fading out!

MrPryck2U said:
Gone.

Where's Velvet Dress availible. I gotta have it! Please, somebody help me! I don't download shit off the net. Is it on CD?

It's on Jools Holland's Small World Big Band album.

I personally like Staring at the Sun best. Discotheque was awful, but I do like the new intro much better -- the new intro was fantastic, really nice, but the rest wasn't nearly as good as the original.

But y'know.. I mean, they could have just given us the originals of everything, and there wouldn't have been much reason to buy Best Of 90-00, so at least they did a good job on most of what they remixed. I do like the rest of the remixes, but Discotheque wasn't much better, IMO.

Last edited:
Cask said:
i think the new mix of discotheque starts out really good, it focus a lot more in the guitar, and what U2 is instead than focusing on the dance beats, etc. But the ending is where they really fucked up, killin g the boomchas and just fading out!

I agree, I did miss the boomchas. I actually like the ending they have on there now, I've gotten used to it. Good for a change after listening to the original so much I guess.

I picked the New Velvet Dress. Fantastic stuff ! I like the other three though I prefer the Popheart EP acoustic version of Staring At The Sun. How people feel about POP overall now that 50% (60% if one includes Bono?s new version of Velvet Dress) of it has been given new versions ? Also - would you consider tweaking the track order too ?

*Discotheque (Best Of 90s version)(4:40)
Do You Feel Loved (5:07)
Mofo (5:46)
Miami (4:52)
Playboy Mansion (4:40)
*Staring At The Sun (Best Of 90s version)(4:48)or(Popheart EP acoustic version)(5:33)
*Last Night On Earth (Single Version)(4:14)
*Gone (Best Of 90s version)(4:32)
*If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)(4:32) or (The Grand Jury Mix) (5:42)
*If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland version) (6:22)
*Please (Single version)(5:36)
Wake Up Dead Man (4:52)

What would you think if POP was released a double album ?

A DOUBLE ALBUM

DISC 1
1. Pop Muzik (PopMart Mix Radio Edit) (4:04)
2. Discotheque (Best Of 90s Mix)
3. ?First Night In Hell? (Instrumental Mix of Last Night On Earth)
4. ?Heaven In Your Heart? (the Howie B Hairy B Mix of Discotheque)
5. Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)
6. Theme From Let?s Go Native
7. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
8. Big Girls Are Best
9. Do You Feel Loved
10. MOFO
11. Miami
12. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix)

DISC 2
1. Playboy Mansion
2. Staring At The Sun (Best Of 90s Mix)
3. Last Night On Earth (Single version)
4. Gone (Best Of 90s Mix)
5. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad
6. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland version)
7. Slow Dancing (U2 with Willie Nelson)
8. North And South Of The River
9. I?m Not Your Baby (The End Of Violence Soundtrack)
10. If God Will Send His Angels (Single version)
11. Please (Single version)
12. Wake Up Dead Man

Interesting mix listed above ... I hear a mix CD calling!

As for the poll, definitely, without a doubt, "If You Wear That Velvet Dress." I still prefer the original over the Jools Holland version, but I don't like any of the new mixes on the "Best Of."

Back
Top Bottom