Which one should go, part 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which version of Discotheque gets deleted?

• single version

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • album version

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I'm cleaning out my iTunes on my computer at school, and I have two versions of Discotheque on there.

Which one gets deleted? (I have cd copies of both, so it's not like they're gone forever.)

Whichever one gets the most votes by Tuesday goes.

single version! But that's not the one without the boomchas, is it? Anyway, I like the album version. so.. :shrug:

I would personally lose the album version (though it may technically be superior to the single version) for no reason other than this:

The "Discotheque" single is the one and only reason that I decided to believe in U2. I knew their back catalogue of singles pretty well in '97, but it'd been so long since the band had wielded any kind of true musical or cultural capital that I remained on the fence, unsure of which side to cast my lot in. Sure, they'd had a great past...but what the fuck? No real volume of music in forever (that I'd heard of)? That's shady as hell. But then I heard "Discotheque." And then my life changed forever.

So, yeah...I guess I'd cut the album version. :wink:

The single version doesn't have that crappy drawnout swirly intro and outro :mad:

and it's conveniently 40 seconds shorter for makin playlists too :wink:

Zootlesque said:

You don't like the intro??? :shocked:

Not particularly, I want to get to the soooooooong

the song that you hear in your heeeeeaaaaaddd

atleast I like the boomchas...alot...they make the song, lol

It's not the greatest ballad of theirs I agree. But it's hardly boring! Not in a world with Wild Honey & In A Little While. Staring At The Sun is far more interesting to me!

Zootlesque said:

:up:

You're gonna be blown away, my friend! You will stop listening to ATYCLB and HTDAAB. That's my prediction. :wink:

I can't wait, but I hope my appreciation for those two doesn't go down.

I have Staring at the Sun and Wake up Dead Man. Are there many better songs than these two on the album?

COBL_04 said:

I have Staring at the Sun and Wake up Dead Man. Are there many better songs than these two on the album?

Talk to me when you listen to Please.

It's tied with Ultra Violet as my favorite U2 song.

inmyplace13 said:

Talk to me when you listen to Please.

it might take a while to grow on you... but let us know if you "don't get it" with Please.

Download the U2 performance of Please at the MTV VMAs and then you will understand.

There are plenty of masterpieces on POP... enjoy!

as for the poll, as long as there are boom-chas, it's all good!

COBL_04 said:

I can't wait, but I hope my appreciation for those two doesn't go down.

Gone and Last Night On Earth.

I don't know the difference between, so i decide the single version :wink:

1. Discotheque (Album Version) - The classic and one and only!

2. Discotheque (Single Version) - Shorter than the album, but still great.

3. Discotheque (Best Of Version) - Interesting new mix, but lacks the boomchas.

4. Discotheque (Radio Mix) - Ugh. Terrible. I remember hating this when I heard it in '97 and I still do. No wonder people didn't like this tune.

typhoon said:

I remixed your post.

:lmao:

I have that reaction to every post you make.

If you shout..., Discotheque was the song that changed my life forever, too. But not because I was familiar with U2's past and pleased that they were still a relevant band. It was more like WHOA, THIS SONG IS COOL, I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT 209749823758934689 TIMES.

and then I did. but I had the whole Pop album, so I'm saying cut the single version. Though I bought the Discotheque single and never noticed a difference :huh:

Zootlesque said:

That's the number of times I've listened to Kid A this past week.

:hmm: You would reccommend that album then? The only Radiohead album I have is OK Computer which is fucking brilliant...

and to avoid derailing this thead, here are my thoughts on Discotheque:

THIS IS A LOVE SOOOONG
THIS IS A LOVE SOOOOOOOOOOOONG

the version they're doing now is the best fucking version ever. Better than the album version, Popmart, and Elevation combined.

IT'S LOVE
FALLING FROM ABOVE

AtomicBono said:

:hmm: You would reccommend that album then?

HELL MUTHAPHUCKIN MOTHERSUCKINROCKNROLL YES!!! :rockon:

Go to my thread in Bang & Clatter to get an idea about the album.

Back
Top Bottom