Which of the "3 masterpieces" is the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepher25

Acrobat
rolling stone magazine says U2 has 3 master pieces- The Joshua tree, Auchtung Baby and All that you cant leave behind, so which do you think is the best and why, i think All that you cant leave behind followed closely by auchtung baby, simply beacuse on ATYCLB there is not 1 song i hate, i like most on AB and only a few on TJT

The majority of casual fans will judge it this way:

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Cant Leave Behind.

I judge it this way:

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree

JT is a masterpiece. Neither AB nor ATYCLB deserve such status.

Achtung Baby is, for me, the only one that deserves the "masterpiece" label

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Cant Leave Behind

That article was written very soon after ATYCLB came out, so they may be using the term "masterpiece" lightly.

I would say that AB is 1st, ATYCLB 2nd and TJT 3rd.

Achtung is perfect from beginning to end.

ATYCLB is front loaded with the hits, but the only real dud comes with Peace on Earth. The rest is fantastic.

TJT is one of the most overrated albums in U2's catalogue. Don't get me wrong. It is a masterpiece but an over-rated masterpiece. It is way too front-loaded. Bullet is weak on the album. Trip through your Wires is a dud. One Tree Hill is average with a cliched chorus. Exit is very weak on the album compared to the live version. MOTD is a great closer, but no better than Grace on ATYCLB. Great album, but not as great as people claim IMO. TJT has great songs, but some of those great songs (Bullet, OTH) did not become great until played live.

Last edited:
alot of why i dont like the joshua tree so much is i think, that fact that was released 2 years before i was born, auchtung baby came out 3 years after i was born and i was 10 when ATYCLB came out, ive recently got into Auchtung though since i got the best of 90-00 DVD

zepher25 said:
alot of why i dont like the joshua tree so much is i think, that fact that was released 2 years before i was born, auchtung baby came out 3 years after i was born and i was 10 when ATYCLB came out, ive recently got into Auchtung though since i got the best of 90-00 DVD

Wait...your math doesn't work. You said you were 10 when ATYCLB came out. ATYCLB came out in 2000, so that would mean you were born in 1990. But you also said that AB came out three years after you were born. AB came out in 1991, so that would mean you were born in 1988. And you also said that JT came out two years before you were born. JT came out in 1987, so that would mean you were born in 1989. 1990, 1988, 1989? Which one is it?

:wink:

ntalwar said:
That article was written very soon after ATYCLB came out, so they may be using the term "masterpiece" lightly.

And it was in Rolling Stone magazine, so the guy probably reviewed it in between Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit albums, so on that day no doubt it was the greatest music ever heard.

yeah

all that you can't leave behind a masterpiece?

uh

no.

most over-rated album by the mainstream media of the decade.

Hmm from those three.

1 Achtung Baby
2 ATYCLB
3 Joshua Tree.

Sorry im really not that great about the joshua tree. It has great songs no doubt but im more into the later U2.

My top 3 would be

1 POP
2 Achtung Baby
3 ATYCLB

namkcuR said:

Wait...your math doesn't work. You said you were 10 when ATYCLB came out. ATYCLB came out in 2000, so that would mean you were born in 1990. But you also said that AB came out three years after you were born. AB came out in 1991, so that would mean you were born in 1988. And you also said that JT came out two years before you were born. JT came out in 1987, so that would mean you were born in 1989. 1990, 1988, 1989? Which one is it?

:wink:

yes i got it wrong, i was born on september 29th 1989 so i was 11 and a month when ATYCLB.

If that is the list of masterpieces then:
1.Achtung
2.Joshua
...7.All that you can't leave behind

Sorry,but ATYCLB is not even close

3rd masterpiece,when 2 aren't enough, is POP

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah

all that you can't leave behind a masterpiece?

uh

no.

most over-rated album by the mainstream media of the decade.

i would have to agree, bear.

all that you can't leave behind is one of their weakest albums by far.

in fact, when i opened this thread i honestly thought it it would be between unforgettable fire, joshua tree, and achtung.

Sken said:
The majority of casual fans will judge it this way:

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Cant Leave Behind.

As a non-casual fan I judge it:

True masterpices

1. JT
2. AB

Near misses

3. UF
4. Pop

priceless.jpg

Face paint - £5.
Football shirt - £40.
The look on their faces when they get knocked out of yet another tournament...
PRICELESS.

U2girl said:
I think U2 has two real masterpieces:

JT
AB

That said, War for theme cohesiveness and Bomb for song-for-song quality come closest to those albums.

I agree with those who say The Unforgettable Fire should replace ATYCLB on the masterpiece list, although I don't think ATYCLB is a bad album.

Anyway, as to the thread's question, I'd say Achtung, Baby! is the best.

All That You Can't... and Zooropa are U2's two most underrated albums. Both are spectacularly well-written and well-produced.

Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree will always be the two monsters, though.

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung
3. War
4. UF
5. Zooropa
6. HTDAAB
7. Boy
8. ATYCLB

Back
Top Bottom