Which live versions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
i am doing a project for an uncle of mine who is a big u2 fan. im actually doing a 4 disc best of mix for him. id like to get some input on what versions of these songs i should use.

i will follow
sunday bloody sunday
the fly
walk on
where the streets have no name
out of control

ill have some more questions up soon. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanx

i will follow Milan Dvd
sunday bloody sunday 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford
the fly Boston DVD
walk on Grammy 2002
where the streets have no name 1989-12-26 - Dublin
out of control Slane DVD

i will follow Milan Dvd
the fly Boston DVD
walk on Grammy 2002
out of control Slane DVD

yeah i agree with this 100%

:up:

Ask Ax. Apart from Walk On, which he'll tell you is crap and not worth listening to anyway.

No, Walk On is my second favourite on ATYCLB, behind WILATW.

And I feel like this guy makes an "I'm doing a mix for my uncle/cousin/neighbour/milkman/friendly neighbourhood hobo and need performance suggestions" thread every few months like clockwork, so he would have undoubtedly seen all of my suggestions multiple times before.

i will follow Milan Dvd
the fly Boston DVD
walk on Grammy 2002
out of control Slane DVD

I agree with this, though Rattle&Hum's Sunday Bloody Sunday is worth a shout too!

i will follow Milan Dvd
the fly Boston DVD
walk on Grammy 2002
out of control Slane DVD
Yeah, I really like of your choices, Peter....particularly the Walk On Grammy version. And hey, I've downloaded all those highlights moments regarding Bono's voice available on your website, nice job ! :)

Yeah, I really like of your choices, Peter....particularly the Walk On Grammy version. And hey, I've downloaded all those highlights moments regarding Bono's voice available on your website, nice job ! :)

Thanks, Im glad that you like it, Im going to update the site with more highlights soon :)

Electric Co. - Red Rocks
Bad - Wide Awake In America
Desire - Lovetown, or any version with Mirrorball Man
Stay - Elevation tour, Boston DVD version if you can find an audio rip

desire 1992-08-30 - New York or Union Chapel
stay Union chapel
bad 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford or 2005-09-14 - Toronto
electric co 2005-07-29 - Gothenburg

Out of Control can't be Slane - that's the worst performance of the song.

Anything from the first three tours would be good for that. Red Rocks is a great performance, and I always enjoy Gateshead '82 because you get to hear Bono's mic fail on the first verse.

thanx a lot. i am on a mission to get this darn thing finished.

angel of harlem
ultra violet
whos gonna ride your wild horses
stuck in a moment

thanx

Ultra Violet - Dublin 93
Stuck in A Moment - I would choose a Vertigo Tour acoustic version myself

Couldn't be sure about te rest

Angel Of Harlem - depends on what you want. Acoustic: Zooropa leg is good for that, full band: higher-quality Lovetown bootlegs are where you should look.

Ultraviolet - 08/16/92 DC

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 06/15/92 Rotterdam

Stuck In A Moment - Honestly, my favorite is the primarily acoustic version they played on Conan O Brien's show.

thanx a lot. i am on a mission to get this darn thing finished.

angel of harlem
ultra violet
whos gonna ride your wild horses
stuck in a moment

thanx

ok, not sure bout AOH...but definitely for Ultraviolet- washington DC 8/16/1992 - INSANE PERFORMANCE!!!

WGRYWH- definitely I'd say Switzerland 6/11/1992- here's the video of it if you want to see it...great performance!

YouTube - u2 stockholm who's gonna ride your wild horses live

and then definitely for Stuck In a Moment- New York- Irving Plaza 2000 Elevation Promo free show- AWESOME VERSION

ok, not sure bout AOH...but definitely for Ultraviolet- washington DC 8/16/1992 - INSANE PERFORMANCE!!!

WGRYWH- definitely I'd say Switzerland 6/11/1992- here's the video of it if you want to see it...great performance!

and then definitely for Stuck In a Moment- New York- Irving Plaza 2000 Elevation Promo free show- AWESOME VERSION

great version of wild horses. i do wish that their was a soundboard version from the vertigo tour. someone please let me know if their was one.

Out of Control can't be Slane - that's the worst performance of the song.

Anything from the first three tours would be good for that. Red Rocks is a great performance, and I always enjoy Gateshead '82 because you get to hear Bono's mic fail on the first verse.

well first three tours were good, but I think this song has actually improved over the years if we look at more recent performances of it....some of the early day performances of this song were quite weak vocally speaking and pale in comparison to more recent ones...

I think for OOC you should use the one at Brooklyn Bridge, that's a really great performance, check it out!

YouTube - U2 Out of Control

but yeah I do agree that the Redrocks performance is awesome as well...so i'd go either way :shrug:

:wink: just one little thing... stockholm is not Switzerland... it's Sweden..

Great version tho!

:wink: just one little thing... stockholm is not Switzerland... it's Sweden..

Great version tho!

:banghead:

sorry haha, I was in a hurry and didn't realize my mistake...I started with "Sw" and my mind went to "Switzerland" for some reason...:sigh:

I will follow: Milan DVD or Brooklyn Bridge 2004. Red Rocks was also excellent.
Sunday Bloody Sunday: St.Goarheausen(SP) 1983(Bono has the Irish flag shirt) Rattle and Hum and also, the full band full time performances of this from JT tour are the some of the rawest most intense ever.(MSG September 1987 there was another f-the revolution speech)
The Fly: U23D, U23D and more U23D: this blows all other versions away. Toronto Nov 2005 and Chicago 9/20/05(after discoteque are great too)
Walk On: 2002 Grammys or post 9/11 tribute concert w/peace on earth opening it. Boston DVD decent as well.
Where the streets have no name: Youtube Iowa City 1987 was spectacular. 12/26/1989. Tokyo and Auckland performances from the Vertigo tour were the best since Lovetown. If you like Bono's deep voice, go with the earlier ones, if you prefer the more refined voice, go for 2006.
Out of Control:Brooklyn Bridge was out of this world, I think the best performance of this song by far. Red Rocks also.
Ultraviolet:Definitely Washington, 1992.
Desire:Lovetown Sydney or Washington 1992 as well.
Angel of Harlem:Any Lovetown show, Zoo TV Sydney and Vertigo Sydney w/ young Americans snippeted.
Electric co:Vertigo DVD or Red Rocks.
WGRYWH:Stockholm 1992.

These are objectively all pretty good, but as for them being the best, it is merely my opinion.

My advice in general would be pick performances from the same era as the song. In doing this you'll probably get the best versions. This is especially true for Boy songs since as time went on (and especially in recent versions) they are played way too slow. Out Of Control from Slane is nice and emotional but musically it's way off pace.

Back
Top Bottom