Which is more crap & meaningless...grammys or the brits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
I mean these award shows are full of dross. Does anyone take them seriously??? They have that many categories at the Grammys I reckon I will be nominated one year for most original post on a music message board, is that a category yet cos it seems everything else is. Didn't Prince get an award, I thought he was retired, does he record anything these days that has any success, not that I can think of and yet he's getting an award. What a load of rubbish.

The Brits suck, in my opinion! Is it still the case that the nominations and most of the voting is done by the music industry itself? I always thought it was something of a farce - I gave up all hope when the Spice Girls got an Outstanding Achievement Award. I mean, for fuck's sake (those last 5 words aren't exactly my most reasonable argument - but they say a lot, in this case).

Yep good point. But to counter this you have the Grammys that have about a million and one categories. Thats a farce in itself.

In response to your Prince comment though, rjhbonovox: Prince did release Musicology in 2004 - the Brit Awards encompass last year.

rjhbonovox said:
Yep good point. But to counter this you have the Grammys that have about a million and one categories. Thats a farce in itself.

I don't know that much about the Grammys, so I can't really comment on them. They do appear to be all glitz and little substance - but maybe I'm just being judgemental.

I actually quite like the Brits. I've always found the Grammys a little bit pretentious, especially given the lack of respect they seem to have.

rjhbonovox said:
I mean these award shows are full of dross. Does anyone take them seriously??? They have that many categories at the Grammys I reckon I will be nominated one year for most original post on a music message board, is that a category yet cos it seems everything else is. Didn't Prince get an award, I thought he was retired, does he record anything these days that has any success, not that I can think of and yet he's getting an award. What a load of rubbish.

Well, Prince did release an album last year (Musicology) that was pretty good. And he was the highest earning musical artist of 2004, beating even Madonna! So you can't just say he retired or didn't have any success.

I like watching the Grammys and its mainly for the performances. You get to watch a variety of acts and not just rock and hip hop. I would never have known about Nnenna Freelon if not for the Grammys. Are awards shows perfect? Naw. That's why I don't take the awards aspect seriously and I don't understand why others should either. Also this stuff is nice sometimes for those "forgotten musicians/ artists." I'm sure there are a few who get a kick out of it such as that blues pianist who got a lifetime achievement Grammy. I'm sure Page at least enjoyed his lifetime achievement Grammy type of deal too.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Which is more crap & meaningless...grammys or the brits?

Popmartijn said:

Well, Prince did release an album last year (Musicology) that was pretty good. And he was the highest earning musical artist of 2004, beating even Madonna! So you can't just say he retired or didn't have any success.

Wowo is that true. I know Prince now manages himself etc but to hear he was the highest earning artist of 2004 is quite hard to believe. But I will take your word for it. He certainly has no market in the uk anymore, his singles do very little, and to have a hit single in the uk you don't have to sell many.

Re: Re: Re: Which is more crap & meaningless...grammys or the brits?

rjhbonovox said:
Wowo is that true. I know Prince now manages himself etc but to hear he was the highest earning artist of 2004 is quite hard to believe. But I will take your word for it. He certainly has no market in the uk anymore, his singles do very little, and to have a hit single in the uk you don't have to sell many.

Of course it is true! :wink: In the USA at least. :D

Here's the article from Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/st...142205703&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1040

1. Prince
$56.5 MILLION

ON THE ROAD It rained green, not purple, for Prince in 2004. With $90.3 million in ticket sales, he returned to center stage after a decade in the commercial wilderness, scoring the year's second-highest-grossing tour. And thanks to low production costs, his net take was larger than top grosser Madonna's. (It took twenty-four trucks to haul around Madonna's mammoth tour, while Prince's bare-bones show needed only twelve.) Prince took a reported eighty-five percent of the profits from the concerts, which earned an average $910,000 a night -- and he'll command a higher percentage next time.
ON CD Prince sold 1.9 million copies of 2004's Musicology, but that figure is misleading: In a unique scheme, a ten-dollar CD surcharge built into his ticket prices meant that every concertgoer got a copy of the album, whether they wanted it or not. Nonetheless, free agent Prince strikes only one-album distribution deals with record companies (Columbia, in the case of Musicology), which means he earns more than two dollars per CD.
Last year's rank: NA

And to be complete, here's the blurb about U2:

36. U2
$13.9 MILLION

ON CD U2 get a $12 million payout from Interscope Records just for delivering an album -- which they did last year, with November's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The CD has sold 2 million copies, and a deluxe edition sold another 400,000 (they earn as much as five dollars a unit on the latter). A megabucks tour begins in March.
ON THE SIDE Apple and U2 are reportedly splitting a fifty-dollar markup placed on a U2-branded iPod.
Last year's rank: NA

C ya!

Marty

Yeah, I read that Rolling Stones article and was a bit surprised to say the least.

The most surprising fact was that Phil Collins was higher on the list than U2! I know that he toured and U2 didn't, but Phil f****** Collins!

One thing I will say Prince has sure got his head screwed on. 85% of the profits says to me he has a great business brain!

I don't know much about the Brits, but the Grammys do kind of suck. They get it right sometimes and honor great people, but other times it seems like they let barely-trained monkeys pick the winners. It has been this way for as long as I can remember.

I do kind of like that they have more performances during the ceremony these days, but unfortunately that means awards for alternative music are no longer presented during the telecast, which means some lesser-known acts that could get a lot of much-needed recognition aren't getting it.

(It took twenty-four trucks to haul around Madonna's mammoth tour, while Prince's bare-bones show needed only twelve.)

Twelve trucks full of equipment is bare bones? That made me laugh.

I don't really care for any award shows...and I'm also pretty indifferent to the awards themselves too. All of them seem to be more popularity contest than rewarding good music. Occasionally what's popular is also good and a few awards make sense, but overall I find them pretty lame.

i've heard of the brits, never seen them.
but i can't imagine ANYTHING being more crap than the grammys.

except for the mtv awards, that is...

dudeman said:
i've heard of the brits, never seen them.
but i can't imagine ANYTHING being more crap than the grammys.

except for the mtv awards, that is...

Yep the brits are pretty crap but I reckon the Grammys are worse. Also why does Bono seem to say stupid things these days or things that are kinda kissing ass. He never used to say these things 10-15 years ago. I am on about when accepting the award he said "this is the best grammys he's been to" and of course we got the usual whoppeees from the crowd when he said this but it's just cringeworthy to me. I remember when he was going on stage and accepting awards and saying things like "what a night, what an award, what a wanker you have for a president, what are you going to do about it"......1995 mtv europe awards I think or maybe 1993 but thems the kinda things Bono should be saying for gods sake not sucking up to all these people.

rjhbonovox said:
One thing I will say Prince has sure got his head screwed on. 85% of the profits says to me he has a great business brain!

Well, 85% isn't the limit. Madonna demanded -and got- 95% of the profits. I think U2 might be in the 90% range.
And considering the fact that Prince was touring arenas and thus needed to have a stage and PA adjusted for that (let alone lights), then I think that 12 trucks isn't that much.

:)

Marty

How many awards are there at the grammies? I heard that U2 had won 3 and went 'woah' but it turns out there seems to be at least 25 awards? Bit of a farce really, 'an award for everyone'?

This year there were 107 categories, from Record Of The Year (Ray Charles & Norah Jones - Here We Go Again) to Best Long Form Music Video (V/A - Concert For George) and everything inbetween, including Best Polka Album!

:D

There are 107 categories but depending on which genre you are in you only can qualify for a maximum of about 12 if you were to be nominated in every single category you qualify for as a rock band for example.

Back
Top Bottom