Which is better - 'Beatiful Day' or 'Desire'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

'Desire' or 'Beautiful Day'?

• Desire

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Beautiful Day

Votes: 29 72.5%

• Total voters

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It just occured to me when listening to 'Desire' the other day how much these songs have in common: both were #1 singles in the UK, both are simple rock tunes, and both have a common, uplifting theme. I'm not sure which song I like better. 'Desire' is more rhythm and blues oriented, while 'Beautiful Day' is more surf punk pop/rock. 'Desire' is more even, incorporating the same structure throughout the song, while 'Beautiful Day' is a bit more jagged, using about 2 or 3 bridges. However, both use the same respective chord arrangements throughout their entireties. I think 'Desire' is the better song, but 'Beautiful Day' is more sincere and has a higher ability to uplift the spirit from murky depths. With 'Desire' you almost have to be in that state of mind to begin with in order to partake in its ecstatic spirit, wheras with 'BD' it works its charms irrespective of mood. Thoughts?

I prefer Beautiful Day, it sounds more finished and less throw away than Desire. Although I loved Desire when they played it on the Zoo tour, especially with the guitar effect Edge used.

I remember when Desire came out and some critics said "my God, there's a guitar solo in it!" like it was a big deal. But then they wrote The Fly, which is Edge at his ultimate IMO.

Desire kicks ass!

I've never understood why everyone loves Beautiful Day so much. It's a nice enough tune, but I don't even think it's the best song off ATYCLB, let alone one of U2's best ever.

Bono shades - I agree. 'Walk On' and 'Kite' are better songs in my opinion. I think 'Beautiful Day' just strikes a chord with the masses because of its appeal to beauty found in the ordinary. Well, that and it has a kick ass riff. Unfortunately, the verses are a little boring for me. It's got this amazing double chorus (the "it's a beautful day" as well as the "touch me" parts), but they contrast the flatness of the parts in between. Maybe that's just what U2 were going for though, contrasting the extraordinary with the ordinary.

they're a little too different for me to really be able to pick a favourite.

well...think about some of the images that desire conjurs up. needles, spoons, shotguns, preachers stealing hearts for money. pretty dark stuff, if you ask me.

beautiful day's images are not dark at all. the heart being a bloom, the world in green and blue, a bird with a leaf in it's mouth, which we all know is a symbol of peace. it's much different than desire.

you could even take it a step further by comparing the videos. desire is a look at the filth and desperation of the inner cities of america, while beautiful day has bono being a clown in an airport.

desire is much darker than beautiful day. personally, i prefer desire.

thank you for asking what i think.

That's interesting. Actually, I think both songs have a mixture of darkness and brightness. 'Beatiful Day' speaks of the eco-disasters of the world right now: "tuna fleets clearing the sea out,"; "the Bedouin fires" ; "the oil fields" (which of course are directly responsible for fossil fuels being burned into the atmosphere); and don't forget the other parts to the opening verse you referenced: "There's no room / there's no space left to rent in this town" ; "You're out of luck / and the reason you had to care...you're not moving anyhwere..." Even the ending refrain is quite sad and almost ominous: "It was a beautiful day." There's a LOT of darkness in this song, too.

As for Desire, yes it's a song about drugs, shooting and the like, but it, too, has the contrasting "desire" of the "red guitar on fire," where the "bright lights and the big city meet." There is a burning hope in this song, as well, and you can feel it in the song's energy. There's an urgency about it that fights against the down and out that the character is trying to avoid.

Like many U2 songs, both 'Desire' and BD offer contradictory elements, contrasting themselves to create a friction, but in both cases, in my opinion, the result is an uplifting friction.

Michael Griffiths said:
'Desire' and BD offer contradictory elements, contrasting themselves to create a friction, but in both cases, in my opinion, the result is an uplifting friction.

i see. now that's a much less basic statement. i like that one. i shall vote now.

nice analysis, by the way.

Yeah, why didn't I just say that in the first place!! Thanks for the kind words. I liked yours too, especially part about the inner city scenes in 'Desire' and the airport/Bono clown scenes in BD.

Musically, I don't think they are that similar. I just meant that in terms of category (rock) and place in the U2 pantheon (both #1 UK singles and generally well liked, but not really considered all time classics ala 'One', 'Pride' and WOWY), they have some striking similarities. In terms of theme, only in broad terms are they similar - that being uplifing in the way I defined it. Of course, they differ in many ways, too.

I find them to be similar in that I don't think either is representative of U2's best work. They're both solid songs, hits with the public, but at the end of the day, there are at least 2 dozen U2 songs I'd rather listen to.

That said, as a song, I like Desire more, but as an overall experience, I prefer Beautiful Day and find it more powerful.

bonosgirl84 said:
i disagree that they both have a common, uplifting theme.

i meant musically, i never put any thought into it in terms of lyrics.

BD has the better lyrics.

What you don't have, you don't need it now
What you don't know, you can feel it somehow....

Well, it's a bit early to say whether "Beautiful Day" will have the same "classic" status, anyway, even though I think it's got a good chance. It's significance and impact certainly went farther than a mere number 1 spot on the charts. I agree that it's not even the best song on ATYCLB, but neither are WOWY and One on their respective albums, IMO, so...

You don't think 'One' is the best song on Achtung Baby? Fair enough, but I think both WOWY and 'One' both have a magic -- a quality that takes them out of song and into their own larger than song characters. They become this force. With Joshua Tree, it's more difficult to discern the best song, because there are a few songs that do that on that album.

Michael Griffiths said:
You don't think 'One' is the best song on Achtung Baby? Fair enough, but I think both WOWY and 'One' both have a magic -- a quality that takes them out of song and into their own larger than song characters. They become this force. With Joshua Tree, it's more difficult to discern the best song, because there are a few songs that do that on that album.

there are a lot of ways you can define "best song"

I can't compare them.
Desire is like going for a fast drive, slightly dangerous exhileration.Russssssssssssssssshhhhhh:)Great song.

Beautiful Day...how do I spell the sounds I am making now?:):):):):)I can't. It's very special to me. I can't believe they thought to mention the tuna.
Desire drives.
BD soars.
If I could only take one to a desert island with me, it would be Beautiful Day.

I vote Desire.

Concerning the lyrics in Beautiful Day
"What you don't have you don't need it now"
"What you don't have you can feel it somehow"
and other lyrics from the album from Walk On and I think at least one other song... There is the theme that defines the album, defines the way in which U2 wanted the Album portrayed and possibly the feeling after listening and understanding the album.

Of course everyone here knows the theme I'm talking about.
Going somewhere or just the general journey through life and only taking the one thing that you will really need. Love.

What I find very intriguing is that Gone has parts of the same theme and they played it During the Tour in amongst the new songs.

Oh, "One" played -live- is pure magic of epic proportions that makes me weep like a little baby; it's just that I was never fond of the album version. Interestingly enough, it's the opposite thing with WOWY for me: the album recording is so... "complete" for the lack of better word, that IMO the song somewhat loses its magic when played live.

Back
Top Bottom