Which book would YOU consider the U2 Bible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
Since the passsing of Pimm Jal de la Parr, I've read a lot of posts on various sites about his book U2 Live: A Concert Documentary. Many people referred to this book as the 'U2 Bible' and said that it is the best U2 book ever written. However, I was under the impression that most fans held Bill Flannagan's book U2 At the End of the World to be the 'U2 Bible.'
confused.gif

I've read the Flannagan book, and I enjoyed it very, very much
smile.gif
. While I haven't read, or even seen, Pimm de la Parr's book, I think that Flannagan's book would be pretty hard to beat. Although, from what I gather, de la Parr's book is a completely different type of book, so it may be hard to guage.

So is de la Parr's book the pen-ultimate U2 book, or is Flannagans? (Or is it some other book that I haven't mentioned?)

U2 The Unforgettable Fire actually tells more of their story. The new Complete Encylopedia, though much maligned here, actually has more info than any other book I've seen. I really think a new biography and concert book are both in order, as nothing is now complete without the triumphant tale of Elevation.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Flanagan's book, hands down. There isn't really a contest.

Pimm's book is the definitive encyclopedia tho, I'd say. The history book, the whatever-you-call-it.
biggrin.gif

Flanagan's book, IMO.

Pimm's book is truly a wonderful resource though...it's a great read.

As for the U2 Encyclopedia...it's great, but with all of the mistakes in it, it kind of makes you question the validity of some things.

I would also like to add though that I did enjoy the U2 Encylopedia.
smile.gif

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 04-12-2002).]

I have to agree with most people here. It's all about Flanagan's book for me. Although the complete encyclopedia IS very good! I don't have the concert documentary one yet.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

I have nothing against Flanagan's book, but how on earth could something be considered a "Bible" or the ultimate authority when it only deals with ONE ERA?????!!!!

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Have you read it? It's incredible! Yes, it was written during a particular era, but it's the most insightful book about the band I've ever read!

------------------

Originally posted by wertsie:
Have you read it? It's incredible! Yes, it was written during a particular era, but it's the most insightful book about the band I've ever read!

SEVERAL times. It does briefly mention past events, but it's about 80% them acting up during ZOOTV. So it's a good insightful book, but it cannot be the ultimate authority on a band with such a long and varied career when it does not tell the entire story! I will volunteer to write the new U2 book, and illustrate it with hot pics from PLEBA.
biggrin.gif
Oh, but to do that, I'd have to go hang around with the band for ages,
redface.gif
oh I think that wouldn't be a problem!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

Flanagan's book takes a good snapshot of the band. Though it's one era, Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry are always Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry, no matter what era. Musically, it pretty much just covers Zoo TV, but it gives us a good glimpse into the life of the boys.

------------------

Books padded with pretty pictures are a dime a dozen. Well-written, thoughtful, insightful books with unique perspectives about the band are priceless. Flanagan's book is in the latter category.

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Flanagan's book takes a good snapshot of the band. Though it's one era, Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry are always Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry, no matter what era. Musically, it pretty much just covers Zoo TV, but it gives us a good glimpse into the life of the boys.

There was a whole helluva lot more drinking and carrying on than there was in the 80's eras. Some of the scenes actually made me disappointed in the boys. There were a few times I put it down, or skipped parts, because I didn't want it to damage my 'pedestal' ideal of the boys I had held. There are some things I'd rather not know.

------------------

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
There was a whole helluva lot more drinking and carrying on than there was in the 80's eras. Some of the scenes actually made me disappointed in the boys. There were a few times I put it down, or skipped parts, because I didn't want it to damage my 'pedestal' ideal of the boys I had held. There are some things I'd rather not know.

Y'know what's kinda funny? That's exactly the reason I love the book. Indeed, it was reading it that turned me from an admirer of the band into a hard-core fan. Because it takes the boys off a pedestal and makes them real living human beings with their faults, excesses, triumphs and failures. Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry are not gods; they are fascinating ordinary individuals. Having a more well-rounded view of them makes them all the more interesting and loveable. Oh and you might be surprised at some of the things that went on in the 80s era too. U2 didn't magically discover alcohol in 1990.
wink.gif

Have to give it up to Flanagan.

Though Carter Allen's book was my first U2ey book, and Carter is a very nice guy.

------------------
I can scream as loud as your last one, but I can't claim innocence.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
Have to give it up to Flanagan.

Though Carter Allen's book was my first U2ey book

Same here.

And well put, sula.
smile.gif

------------------

Flanagan book is the best...but is only about ZOO TV era

Pimm book is the best for consult, so I think it suits more the title of U2 bible.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

I think people need to rethink their idea of what a "bible" is. It is not a dictionary. It does not contain all definitions and dates and records. By definition, At the End of the World is in a class by itself...

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
I have nothing against Flanagan's book, but how on earth could something be considered a "Bible" or the ultimate authority when it only deals with ONE ERA?????!!!!

Exactly. It's an excellent book, very insightful and thorough, but really only about one era. I personally would take the Concert Documentary.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Because it takes the boys off a pedestal and makes them real living human beings with their faults, excesses, triumphs and failures. Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry are not gods; they are fascinating ordinary individuals. Having a more well-rounded view of them makes them all the more interesting and loveable. Oh and you might be surprised at some of the things that went on in the 80s era too. U2 didn't magically discover alcohol in 1990.
wink.gif

While I'm still in doubt as to whether this should be considered the U2 bible, I love it nonetheless. It's written in a witty and sarcastic way, and yes, it does make the band members real people and not stars. In a way, it makes us relate to them a bit more.
wink.gif

The real story of U2 is U2 in the live setting! As the band has always said, that is what its about, those two hours on stage, the rest is BS. With that in mind Pimms book towers over Flanegans like a Mountain! God Bless You Pimm!
Although there is a lot of info in Flanagens book about the ZOO era since that is all it covers, Pimms book had all kinds of info from the ZOO era that Flanegan never touched on. U2: A Concert Documentary, is far an away the best book ever put out on any Artist!

I think Flanagan's book helped me to see the guys more as real people, which I really liked a lot. Carter Alan's book was good too, I agree, but it seemed a lot more "distanced" to me.

------------------

the proverbial BFB for me as well. Even tho it only covers a small portion of the lives of U2, it's so detailed, well-written and downright hilarryous, it puts all over books about U2 to shame! (IMHO)

The def of bible being "a book authoritative in its field", I would say there are two: if you want to know an insight into WHO the band are, the way the think, act, etc, Flanagan's would be the way to go. But if you re interested in them professionally, what they've done, where they've been etc, you can't beat Pimm's books. These two books are worlds apart as far as perspective, but both are equally relevant (I think) and far and away better than anything anyone else has put forth, IMO.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Back
Top Bottom