Which 'Best Of' Compilation do you like better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Out of the Best Of 1980-1990 and Best Of 1990-2000, which do you like better, and why? Compare only the single disc versions, and please bare in mind that you can prefer one decade overall but perfer the other decade's Best Of....i.e. you can be a 90s nut but think the 80s Best Of is a better compilation.

I myself prefer the Best of 1980-1990. There are sentimental reasons, as it was one of the big things that got me totally hooked on the band. It just has a great track selection and a great flow to it - Best of 1990-2000 had no flow at all, and inserting ATYCLB tracks messed the flow up even more. I also like the brown color of the cover of the Best of 1980-1990. Also Sweetest Thing(Single Mix) :drool:

Best Of 1980-1990 :drool:

I prefer Best of 1980-1990 because...
1. was my second U2 album (a burned copy actually)
2. it has better track selection
3. it has more representative songs
4. it has a better cover

1980-1990 by a large, large margin. In every way, shape and form. The 1990's really didnt really have any truly amazing single material, despite producing 1 decent, 2 amazing and 1 Ultra Brilliant Album in that decade.

Also the 90's disk lacked major credibility repackaging 1-2 year old songs onto a best of disc.

Best Of 1980-1990 :rockon:

Jack In The Box said:
I prefer Best of 1980-1990 because...
1. was my second U2 album (a burned copy actually)
2. it has better track selection
3. it has more representative songs
4. it has a better cover

Exactly the same for me.

Hmm. Hard to say. 1980-1990 was my first album ever, while 1990-2000 is what turned me from just a fan into a fanatic. I think, though, I would have to go for 1980-1990. I'm feeling pulled towards 1990-2000 solely because of Gone, which is what sealed the deal on my fanaticism. But 1980-1990 has many more things that pull me towards it.

So yeah, Best Of 1980-1990 is greater than Best Of 1990-2000 in my books.

The Best of 1990-2000 is one of the worst compilations ever.

1) "Electrical Storm" isn't fit to eat the shit of some of the songs it pushed off this album. Not only that, but it has absolutely nothing to do with 1990-2000. Likewise with "The Hands That Built America" (which I forgot was on there until I read tim's reply), which is one of the worst songs they've ever done, ever. I'd rather listen to "Red Light" while someone's smashing my brains out with a brick. I'd rather listen to "A Man and a Woman"--okay, maybe that's taking it a bit far, but it's still not a good song.

2) While "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck In A Moment..." qualify strictly speaking (just barely), they belong on the next compilation. It's obviously supposed to be a nineties compilation. "Beautiful Day" signaled a second drastic change in direction for the band. It's such an obvious dividing point, I'm still totally dumbfounded they put it on the same disc as "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "Discotheque." The freaking Grammys didn't even consider ATYCLB a proper 20th century release.

2) No "Lemon" or "The Fly" (imports can blow me). "If God Will Send His Angels" or "Please" also belong there, but I can understand their omissions since they weren't huge songs for the band. But for God's sake, "The Fly" broke them into the nineties (the first drastic change in direction) and, also for God's sake, they toured with a 40-ft. lemon. I remember reading an interview where one of the band members said they wanted "I'm Not Your Baby" on there too, which would've been a hell of a lot more interesting than either of the two new songs.

3) The track order sucks.

4) The new mixes suck. I know what you're thinking. "Surely, new stuff is better than no new stuff." No, it's not. I'm a lesser person for having heard them. They eat at bits of my soul. I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat screaming, "DON'T HURT THE BOOM-CHAS, YOU JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE." I have been unable to sustain an erection since hearing the castrated rhythm section of "Staring at the Sun (Total Shit Mix)."

Brownie points for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Fuck This Ginormous Title," "Miss Sarajevo," "Until the End of the World," "Gone," "Stay," and "The First Time," though. But in all, U2 should've spent more time anthologizing the nineties and less time apologizing for it. I could write pages on the suckitude of the B-sides disc, but I'll spare you.

As for the The Best of 1980-1990:

1) It could've done without the stupid edits.

2) Drop a Rattle and Hum track. I'd dump "When Love Comes To Town" (even though they toured with B.B. King, so it's an important piece of their history in that regard). And move them around in the tracklisting instead of just smooshing them together at the end.

3) How about some fucking October? The hidden track doesn't count. In addition to "Gloria" (gee, think they played that one live a couple of times), "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" is a huge omission. "Out of Control" or "The Electric Co." would've been cool too, but they aren't as important as the other two. In general, there was too much emphasis on their later material. Yes, you sounded like a girl on the early stuff, Bono, but we liked it all the same.

Other than that, though, it's great. The tracklisting is brilliant, particularly the whole arc from "Bad" to "Sweetest Thing." Major, major brownie points for putting "The Unforgettable Fire" on there. The B-sides disc was also extraordinarily good (even if it also had stupid edits). Like, better-than-some-bands'-actual-albums-and-I'm-not-just-saying-that-because-I'm-a-fanboy good. The tracklisting there was also pretty good (even if all the R&H tracks got smooshed together again).

Both had very nice artwork.

Last edited:
Best Of 80-90 is better. Not because it's so good but because 1990-2000 is so bad...

1) THTBA - new song - WTF is that :huh:

2) Electrical Storm - a good song... maybe even a great song... it maybe even has some of the 90's feel... but it would be better on HTDAAB than on a Best Of.
I think they should've done the same thing they did on 80-90, to rework some b-side song (Lady With The Spinning Head for example) for a lead single just like they did with Sweetest Thing

3) Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment... - yeah, I know it's from 2000 and this is called Best Of 1990-2000... but so what. The next Best of will be called 2000-20?? so it could very well be there.

4) Reworked (new) versions of the songs - no comment... just no comment.
Instead of Best Of 1990-2000 we got a "How To Destroy Good Songs With Bad Production" album

5) Lemon, Wild Horses, The Fly (for most people), Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Last Night On Earth... ARE NOT ON THE ALBUM

In other words, Best Of 1990-2000 CD does not exist for me.
Best Of 1990-2000 DVD, is something totaly diferent and I think it's the best thing U2 could ever release.
(luckily they couldn't change the songs in the videos and they included every video - single - from the era and that's what I call "Best Of")

--------------------------

typhoon said:

As for the The Best of 1980-1990:

1) It could've done without the stupid edits.

2) Drop a Rattle and Hum track. I'd dump "When Love Comes To Town" (even though they toured with B.B. King, so it's an important piece of their history in that regard). And move them around in the tracklisting instead of just smooshing them together at the end.

3) How about some fucking October? The hidden track doesn't count. In addition to "Gloria" (gee, think they played that one live a couple of times), "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" is a huge omission. "Out of Control" or "The Electric Co." would've been cool too, but they aren't as important as the other two. In general, there was too much emphasis on their later material. Yes, you sounded like a girl on the early stuff, Bono, but we liked it all the same.

Other than that, though, it's great. The tracklisting is brilliant, particularly the whole arc from "Bad" to "Sweetest Thing." Major, major brownie points for putting "The Unforgettable Fire" on there. The B-sides disc was also extraordinarily good (even if it also had stupid edits). Like, better-than-some-bands'-actual-albums-and-I'm-not-just-saying-that-because-I'm-a-fanboy good. The tracklisting there was also pretty good (even if all the R&H tracks got smooshed together again).

Both had very nice artwork.

:up:

Last edited:
What Typhoon said. :up:

(except for the A Man and A Woman, and erection references)

I especially don't like the remixing of the 1990s songs.

The Best of the 1980s CD was a better representation of that era.

typhoon said:

4) The new mixes suck. I know what you're thinking. "Surely, new stuff is better than no new stuff." No, it's not. I'm a lesser person for having heard them. They eat at bits of my soul. I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat screaming, "DON'T HURT THE BOOM-CHAS, YOU JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE." I have been unable to sustain an erection since hearing the castrated rhythm section of "Staring at the Sun (Total Shit Mix)."

:laugh: :lmao: I didn't notice that...

------------------
My best of 1990-2000 would look like:

1. The Fly
2. :hmm: Electrical Storm (or any other lead single for this Best Of)
3. One
4. Stay
5. Gone
(I prefer album version, it has some great piano parts and there's more "airplane" guitar in it... and Bono's voice/singing is better)
6. Mysterious Ways
7. Please
(I prefer album version, but it's a Best Of, so there should be a single version here)
8. Until The End Of The World
9. Discotheque
- single version
10. Lemon - single/video version
11. Numb
12. Staring At The Sun
13. Even Better Than The Real Thing
14. HM,TM,KM,KM
15. Last Night On Earth
- single version
16. Wild Horses - single/video version
17. If God Will Send His Angels
(with hidden The First Time)

80-90.....easily

90-2000 was just dumb....

90-00 should have been

1. Where did it all go wrong (reworked promotional single)
2. The Fly
3. Wild Horses
4. Even Better than real thing
5. One
6. Mysterious Ways
7. Until the End
8. Lemon
9. Stay
10. Numb
11. Hold Me Thrill Me
12. Miss Sarajevo
13. Discotheque
14. Please
15. Staring at the Sun
16. Last Night on Earth

ATYCLB tracks should be for the next best of.

best of 1990 should have had all achtung baby song!!!

best of 1980 is better because the track list for the 1990s is very bad!

Last edited:
I think the tracklist for both could have been better.
Personal opinion of course, but there are 2 songs too many from the Rattle and Hum on the first compilation. Lose WLCTT and Angel of Harlem, throw in Gloria and Tommorow and you have a stronger compilation. Also i think they should have found place for Out of Control, they could have had a fifteenth and a sixteenth track on the first Best of. My listing for the 80s CD would be

1. Pride
2. NYD
3. WOWY
4. ISHFWILF
5.SBS
6. Bad
7.WTSHNN
8. Out of control
9. Tomorrow
10. Gloria
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. The sweetest thing
13. Desire
14. Angel of Harlem
15. I will follow
16. (hidden track) Scarlet or Promenade

As for 90s CD, the songs from ATYCLB should have been saved for the next compilation, and they could have had fewer tracks on this one, it seems strange that the band was more prolific in the 80s yet the first Best of had fewer songs...strange

i would have these songs on the 90s CD

1. EBTTRT
2. Mysterious Ways
3. One
4. Until the end of the world
5. The Fly
6. Stay
7. The first time
8. Lemon
9. Last night on earth
10. Gone(new mix)
11. Discotheque (without the Boom chas)
12. Electrical Storm
13. Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
14. Zooropa (i don't care if it doesn't appeal to the casual fans or people who are unfamiliar with U2s music, it is one of the best songs they have done)

but of the two CDs U2 did put out, i actually think they are on par, if i had to say one i would go with the 90s disc.

80-90 wins easy: 90-2000 is the worst possible best of.

BTW this should have been the best of 90-2000 (ad would have beeen a killer selection):

the fly
even better than the real thing
one
until the end of the world
mysterious ways
who's gonna ride your wild horses (temple bar single edit)
lemon (single edit)
numb
stay
hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
miss sarayevo
discotheque (single edit)
staring at the sun
please (USA edit)
if god will send his angels (single edit)
gone
electrical storm

17 track and about 77 minutes of great music...truly representative of U2-90's

as for the b sides

where did it alla go wrong?
salomè
lady with the spinning head (UV1)
alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk
slow dancing
holy joe (garage mix)
north & south of the river
big girls are best (it's from the pop sessions..and the best of was published after ATYCLB)
night and day (cover)
fortunate son (cover)
paint it black (cover)
satellite of love (cover)
happiness is a warm gun (cover)
i've got you under my skin (duet with frank sinatra..was indeed a b-side)
mission impossible theme (larry & adam)
golden eye (bono on vocals...recently surfaced the internet)
the wanderer (bono on vocals...much hyped but never released)

If they've added The Fly and left normal versions of Pop songs on Best of 90-00 it would be great. However the DVD (+dvd from the CD box) was brilliant. The History Mix, collection of almost all videos from that era and several documents are a must-have!

1990-2000 surely. Agreed, it could have been a hell of a lot better, but the songs are simply better than the ones on the 1980-1990.

80-90 is the best of, I refer to it as the "Best of" plus the front cover is Iconic, I remember gazing upon it in HMV around its release when I never had a clue who or what U2 and needless to say I do now

1980-1990.

1.) I prefer the way the tracks are ordered. There is a flow to it that is lacking on the 1990-2000 CD.
2.) I don't like the new mixes of the songs from Pop on the 1990-2000 CD.
3.) I like the B-sides disc better on the 1980-1990 CD
4.) They left The Fly off the 1990-2000 CD, so how they can call themselves the Best Of? :shame:

However...when it comes to the videos, I hardly ever watch the 1980-1990 ones. Give me the 1990-2000 videos any day.

BEST OF 1980-1990:
Negative:

1.Drop When love comes to town, i know all the facts about it but it's not good enough to be in the best of.

2.Hidden track!!

3.No October, not including the hidden one!

4.Where are One tree hill, Out of control....(write yours)

Positive:

1.Great track order.

BEST OF 1990-2000

Negative:

1.Beautiful day, Stuck in a moment, Electrical storm, Hand that built america, The first time????WTF. why are those here, with the exception of First time(which is not good enough to be there) all are made in new millenium!!

2.When you put Beautiful day, Stuck and Electrical storm, then where is Walk on??

3.WHERE ARE THE FLY, LEMON, ZOOROPA, MOFO, even THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET(which also could better fit in ATYCLB)...(write yours)

So, i didn't get best of 80's for my birthday, i would Maybe, i doubt it, buy it.
ADVICE:buy best of 90's DVD, not cd

bathiu said:
Best Of 80-90 is better. Not because it's so good but because 1990-2000 is so bad...

1) THTBA - new song - WTF is that :huh:

2) Electrical Storm - a good song... maybe even a great song... it maybe even has some of the 90's feel... but it would be better on HTDAAB than on a Best Of.
I think they should've done the same thing they did on 80-90, to rework some b-side song (Lady With The Spinning Head for example) for a lead single just like they did with Sweetest Thing

3) Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment... - yeah, I know it's from 2000 and this is called Best Of 1990-2000... but so what. The next Best of will be called 2000-20?? so it could very well be there.

4) Reworked (new) versions of the songs - no comment... just no comment.
Instead of Best Of 1990-2000 we got a "How To Destroy Good Songs With Bad Production" album

5) Lemon, Wild Horses, The Fly (for most people), Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Last Night On Earth... ARE NOT ON THE ALBUM

In other words, Best Of 1990-2000 CD does not exist for me.
Best Of 1990-2000 DVD, is something totaly diferent and I think it's the best thing U2 could ever release.
(luckily they couldn't change the songs in the videos and they included every video - single - from the era and that's what I call "Best Of")

I totally agree with you mate ;) :up:

The Best Of 1980-1990 blow on the water "Best Of" 1990-2000. Neverthless I still think Best Of 1980-1990 could have been better without any cuts ( what they did with Where The Streets Have No Name is just unforgivable for me :tsk: ) and they should have put another 3 songs, like Gloria, Running To Stand Still and One Tree Hill or In God´s Country. Also I´d cut out When Love Comes To Town. Running Time is just 65 minutes long :(

Peace :wave:

One Best Of had songs off POP, another didn't. This is a no brainer question actually.

Cheers,

J

Well to me 80's - 90's Best of was the kind of typical Best of (aka greatest hits) - all the best known songs on one disc, a great introduction to the band. Loved the B-sides.

The 90's Best of is closer to a real best songs collection. The changes I'd make would be
- Ground beneath her feet and Stateless instead of BD and Stuck - those songs were made in 2000 also and are a better transition to the next decade. Here's hoping they're on the third Best of.
- instead of remixes, just re-do the first Best of scenario and put all the B-sides on the second disc. I know the remixes want to represent the era, but that could be a whole separate disc.

To answer the question, I don't know - I like listening to both compilations.

Last edited:
The 80's Best Of wins on both sides. While the 90's A side is has some questionable picks, the 90's B side is mostly a fuckin' joke for what was left off.

I prefer 90-2000.

There is more "special" songs, like Electrical Storm, THTBA, and HMTMKMKM.

Plus, the fact that 80-90 only has 1 song from their first 2 albums is very unfortunate. And there is too much Rattle And Hum, IMO.

what i don't understand about the 90-2000 selection is why we needed to have both versions of electrical storm. one on the A-side and the other on the B-side seems a little excessive for a song that probably shouldn't have been included on either disc. but... whatever.

80-90 wins. because 90-2000 sucks.

Back
Top Bottom